April 19, 2024, 01:35:21 PM

Author Topic: ERRATA - Temple of Light  (Read 73592 times)

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: ERRATA - Temple of Light
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
ToL, per se, is not that bad. The problem is that if you compare it with Wiz Tower, a 'masterpiece' that helps wizard books a lot.

WZ costs 2 mana less that ToL

WZ channels.

WZ has the flexibility to change attack every round for free.

Ok, ToL has "1 mana each die" and it's not ugly (check hurl boulder...cost 8, you roll 7), but ha another restriction, due to the number of temples already in play (rarely more than 3...).
My opinion is: not that bad, extra action during round, tempo advantage, but... underpowered if you compare it with other similar conjurations.

I play in my Priestess book, btw!  ;)

CYA
G.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »
Yes but if you are not a wizard, the WT argument is moot ;)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »
I think comparing it to the wizard tower is very apt. They are both stationary conjurations that have ranged attacks that require the expenditure of mana. They are very similar spells, but the tower is clearly superior.

I don't think the temple is useless, but I haven't enjoyed using it post nerf. I always have other things I want to do and it doesn't really tie into my strategy that well. Plus I play priest rather than priestess, and the reduced channeling might play into that.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 02:48:01 AM »
The temple is far from useless in a metagame where Non-living creatures are so heavily represented. It is no longer an autoplay card, as there'll be many games in which you won't need to cast it. But against a Golem/Jelly Wizard build or a Necro build is very good. I still include it in every holy spellbook I build; the difference is I usually just run one copy of it and it won't be casted in every game.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

DrunkenSaint

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »
wow just lost my post, I blame my laptop mouse pad!

In short though, I love the effort and thought put into your errata! I have no problem with it in general. I am sure due diligence was put in before making these decisions. I do think that this was a bit extreme however. it seems like a HUGE balance change. one  or two more up front mana, one or two more spell points, a weaker effect die; or even better, other viable options, all seem like they might have the desired effect. The holy spell-book is already one of the most restricted out there, there just aren't a ton of good combos. I dont mind that mind you. it is stable and dependable, In my mind it is sort of the steady middle ground in mage wars. and this was one of its reliable pillars. I feel like this kinda nerfs not just the card, but the whole spell-book. It was already, essentially a 9 cost non-mobile archer with a base attack of 1 and an admittedly useful effect die. It was an investment already. I guess all of this boils down to the fact that I am fine with errata. This seems overly large for an adjustment, but all in all I am fine with that too, I guess I would just rather nerfs be small. I think that if it was still too stong after a small errata change, you could find ways of indirectly impacting it.  For instance add cards that make the beasmaster swarm a little more viable, one light attack in a sea of many is going to do much less than it does in the current few big trend. This effectively nerfs the Temple, and brings back creatures that I would LOVE to love. We expand gameplay rather than patching it, and get some more use out of some interesting cards we already have.

Anyways My intent is to be constructive, not negative! I always appreciate the effort, and love the game no matter what!