April 29, 2024, 05:34:07 AM

Author Topic: How accessible will this game be to my friends?  (Read 3367 times)

tidus99

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How accessible will this game be to my friends?
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
I am eager as ever for this game but today after reading some forum posts for it, I thought to myself how accessible will this game be to my friends?

My initial plan is to build the recommended decks and produce proxies for the missing cards or substitute in spare cards. I probably wont alter the spell books until I am confident I have the rules down.

My worry is that my friends will feel at a disadvantage when I do begin making changes to my spell book. Will they feel that I have tailored a superior spell book and that they are playing with a mediocre one? Looking at this game it will favour the more experienced player as there isn’t really much of a luck factor. My feeling is that this will compound the issue for them further if it plays out that I win the majority of games.

Anyone else felt this maybe a problem and if so have you thought of any ideas to alleviate it?

(Also posted on Boardgamegeek)

Tllmdjd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How accessible will this game be to my friends?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »
I have taught this game to at least 10 different people since getting it at Gen Con.  Learning to teach it is an evolving process, as is learning to play it.  

There is no question as the owner and the experienced player, you have an advantage.  Furthermore, since you have built your opponent's spell book, you have another advantage.

To mitigate these circumstances, and after some experimentation with teaching, it is now my standard practice to allow my opponent at least fifteen minutes, or longer if they need, to pore over their spell book after I've explained the basic ruleset to them.  I also offer to let them look over my spell book if they would like to.

At that point, as they have quite a few questions about card abilities and traits, I provide them with the codex and tell them to just look up terms they don't understand before asking me during play.  That way,  they are giving me less information about their plans.  If they have questions during Planning that cannot be answered by the codex, I ask them to please wait until I have selected my cards, so that my selection is not influenced.

Finally, I try to not let my opponent do anything too unwise.  I don't want to play their game for them, but new players inevitably do something they will really regret.  

This seems to have worked well so far.  Virtually everyone I have taught seems very interested by the game.  

As an aside, there is no need to use proxies.  All the cards you need to build two of the stater spell books at at a time are in the box.  

I keep two modified books together, and then the other two mages I store as a deck with notes about cards I had to "borrow" from them so I can quickly rebuild them if someone wants to play those mges instaed of the ones already in the books.

Hope this helps.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How accessible will this game be to my friends?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
I would try to build 2-3 good spell books until your group gets more cards. Good books do not need to be the most optimal build but should have a few of the meta cards in them. If you trying to build more than 2 tourney level books out of just a base set the card pool gets thin very quickly.

As far as teaching goes check this out How to Teach Mage Wars
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage