April 29, 2024, 09:54:40 AM

Author Topic: A question about the level of variability  (Read 4271 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
A question about the level of variability
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »
I was wondering what the level of variability is in this game when it comes to constructing a spell book.  Obviously there are quite a few different spells, but I was curious if most of the cards you will put in your spell book are "givens", as in you will take these spells every time regardless of opponent.  Actually, my question can be broken down into two parts:

1. How many spells are there that will be "staples" in all spell books regardless of opponent or which mage you are playing?  You know what I mean, spells that are so good or useful that playing without them would be a disservice to yourself and your ability to play competitively.

2.  How much variability do people think there will be when comparing spell books?  For instance, if I were to put together a spell book for a Warlock and compare it to another players spell book for his/her Warlock, will they mostly be the same with only a handful of cards being different, or is there potential for highly varied spells between the two?  

Basically I'm wondering how much actual deck building ability the game will have from the get go, or if the spell books mostly "build themselves" at this point.  Obviously there are expansions coming that will expand on the deck building aspect of the game, but obviously that is going to take some time so I'm curious where the game will stand on these issues at launch.

Thanks for any replies.

P.S.  Can't wait to get the game tomorrow!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: A question about the level of variability
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
1. How many spells are there that will be "staples" in all spell books regardless of opponent or which mage you are playing?  You know what I mean, spells that are so good or useful that playing without them would be a disservice to yourself and your ability to play competitively.

As far as staple cards go I assign about 20-30 points in any build for the cards. Below I listed some of the most common staple cards that people use.
Dispel - destroys enchantments
Dissolve - Destroys equipment
Block / Reverse Attack - Stops or sends back attacks
Nullify - Enchant that functions as counter magic
Minor Heal - Lowest level heal spell
Mana Crystal / Mana Flower - Mana boosting conjuration
Geyser - Attack that can put out fire.
Seeking Dispel - Removes face down enchants (For example Cards like Hellfire trap that have an affect when turned face up)  

2.  How much variability do people think there will be when comparing spell books?  For instance, if I were to put together a spell book for a Warlock and compare it to another players spell book for his/her Warlock, will they mostly be the same with only a handful of cards being different, or is there potential for highly varied spells between the two?  

Even in the base set I was still able to come up with new ideas that we had not looked at in playtesting. The trick is to find the line of play you want to use and build a book around it. Most people just pick what they think are the best cards and go that route. But when you get a book that is very unique people are left wondering how to combat it with the tools they have ready. I have seen an equip heavy Warlock build just with card from the first 2 sets that is hard to combat. I built a AOE dot book that can do 7+ a turn without attacking just with set 1 stuff.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »
Thank you for the reply, that gives me hope that there is a decent amount of room in the base set to create unique decks.  I'm excited about this game and can't wait to pick my copy up tonight!

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
i got my copy at gen con and to give you an idea, i have built 3 or 4 wizard decks that play totally differently, and one doesnt feel that much more powerfull than the others, they just play differently
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »
Sorry to hijack shad0w, but could you expound upon this warlock build?  It sounds awesome.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
I will post something in the tactics section this weekend.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=1311

Excellent!  I look forward to it.  I'm pretty excited to build an almost creatureless warlock.  : )
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=1324
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=1311

Excellent!  I look forward to it.  I'm pretty excited to build an almost creatureless warlock.  : )

So I was looking it over and found out the points are now off because it was a playtest build. So I am going to ask him for a new build but wont see him till Wednesday.