April 25, 2024, 03:16:42 AM

Author Topic: "bluffing" and "illegal moves"  (Read 8555 times)

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: "bluffing" and "illegal moves"
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
While it's hard to imagine a scenario where binding an uncastable spell to a wand would actually give you an advantage, it's simply poor sportsmanship.

The intent of the rules is that you have to bluff with appropriate cards. Preparing Huginn with a face-down incantation that you don't intend to cast is okay. Preparing Huginn with a face-down Darkfenne Hydra is not.

In the specific case of Wizard Tower - which always has a bound spell - if you thought wizard tower was about to die you could cheat by binding a low-value card instead of a precious attack spell. However, this would be immediately detected when the Wizard Tower dies, so it would not be a very effective way to cheat.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
the example I used was bind decoy to a wand you want the other mage to waste energy dispelling
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »
In the specific case of Wizard Tower - which always has a bound spell

@Pious - from the card text:
You may bind a non-Epic quick attack spell from your spellbook to Wizard's Tower. Wizard's Tower may cast that spell once per round, before or after any friendly Action Phase. Use a ready marker to keep track of this ability. During the Planning Phase you may change the bound spell.

Are you saying I may not remove a bound spell on the WT and not replace it?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
I'm not talking about illegally casting a spell at all. I'm only talking about preparing a spell to say: "hey I might cast something with this familiar or spawnpoint" and then never actually using it because it is not legal to do so.

The response I got was not really directed at this concept, but rather at the concept of illegally casting spells which I assumed was right out. Seeking Dispel can only target an enchantment which has been cast but not revealed: This does not apply to what I said. Similarly the binding of a spell to a wand example does not apply to what I was saying as it is clearly illegal: it is not a suitable spell to be bound.

Using a couple of examples: The text of Goblin Builder says:  "Can cast only Corporeal conjurations which are not attached to an object..." It does not mention what he can prepare. The text of Lair says "During the Deployment Phase, Lair may summon 1 animal creature." The key word summon here implies casting a spell, it does not refer to preparing a spell that one does not intend to cast. The bluff entry does create some confusion with this.

After re-reading the entries of the Familiar and Spawnpoint it is clear that attached spells would be revealed upon death (which seems like sort an irrelevant point if what you are doing isn't illegal), and it is clear enough in the case of the familiar that you are only supposed to select spells which your familiar is eligible to cast, however the text of the Spawnpoint does not make this completely clear even on close reading. You may want to reword it to more closely match the familiar wording. The bluff entry could probably use the words: "due to a lack of mana or legal targets" added to it as well, just to make things more obvious.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:38:02 PM by Wiz-Pig »