April 27, 2024, 01:21:45 PM

Author Topic: The Harry Potter mechanic of the game bothers me a bit.  (Read 41740 times)

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
Re: The Harry Potter mechanic of the game bothers me a bit.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »
with familiars you can place the spells that you can't cast as a bluff, so bluff with your wand.

and decoy does resolve when it is destroyed. the card states that
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40:48 PM »
First off, Decoy would be discarded in that case, not destroyed.

In the second place, spellbind only allows the type of effect given in the description to be bound, so Mage Wand can only bind incantations.

In the third place, I'm not entirely convinced that the "(or cannot cast)" means spells that the familiar could never cast. It could just mean that the spell doesn't need to be one you have enough mana between your familiar and your mage to cast.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »
Sdougla2 is correct, you cannot place cards the familiar is incapable of casting on it. You can place ones you can't afford but are still a legal type in the first place.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »
OK I am still confused about the bluff wording so I made a topic about it in rules discussion.

because "cannot cast" should be better defined. a spell can or cannot be cast. saying its a mana only restriction should be mentioned.

as for decoy, refer to page 12
"if your familiar is destroyed before it casts the spell you assigned to it, the spell is destroyed" (note destroyed not discarded)
decoy is destroyed you gain 2 mana
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »
You cannot bind decoy on a magewand. Even if you could, when the mage wand is destroyed the decoy would be revealed without effect as it was never cast.

Cast = Legally binded

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 06:51:49 AM »
I find wands are usually a waste of mana/actions, unless you are ahead in tempo and your objective is to bait a Dissolve.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
Wands are pretty much KOS (Kill On Sight) in most of the games I've played.

So for 5 extra mana you can cast the spell (at least once that turn) but for the 5 extra mana it eats a dissolve, and I usually keep a Reverse Magic or Nullify on myself so it eats a dispell too.

Since both of us usually just kill the wand right away it just really eats spell book points.

There was ONE game I bound a Chain Lightning to a wand and chain casted Chain Lightning and tore into stuff and kept 4-5 things stun locked.  It was very mana intensive but kind of cool.  But again that only happened once.  Usually I cast it and it gets destroyed the next turn or maybe after 2 turns.

Although I guess I could try teleport or somehow else bind the other mage more than 2 spaces away.  But then I wouldn't be within 2 spaces either so depending what is bound it might not be that useful.

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
I find wands are usually a waste of mana/actions, unless you are ahead in tempo and your objective is to bait a Dissolve.

This.

But here's the thing... read it again.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »

This.

But here's the thing... read it again.

Ok you managed to confuse me. Did you want to say that I'm right or that I'm wrong?

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »
Wands are a luxury item. If you have the quick action (or battleforge) and 5 mana to cast a wand, it is really nice to be able to cast a spell more than once. Just make sure you actually CAST the spell. Nothing sucks more than equipping a wand with a hurl boulder only to get it dissolved before you actually cast the hurl boulder.

On the other hand, if you are sufficiently short on mana you may not be able to afford 5 mana. And if you are short on actions and don't have a battleforge, you DEFINITELY can't afford the quick action.

This definitely isn't Harry Potter wandcraft. I'd say that in the majority of my games I never bring out a wand. It's a personal playstyle though, some people almost always bring out wands. It's very well balanced actually.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
Dave are you trying to troll us?

You are basically asking if it is ok to cheat  :o

>:( No it is not ok to cheat
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 02:20:36 AM »
I honestly miss understand the definition of "can't cast"

and the part about "cheating" I really just wanted to see of there was any official info for comp rulings.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 08:41:39 AM »
I honestly miss understand the definition of "can't cast"

and the part about "cheating" I really just wanted to see of there was any official info for comp rulings.

"can't cast" = Not enough mana available or does not currently have a legal target in play.

Comp Rulings = this is another side project we the rules team has talked about but we have also been backed up with a new doc that "should go up early next week".
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Brazil

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 03:26:10 AM »
So most of my games do stretch well over an hour, and I frequenly run my opponent out of creatures and dispells/disolves.   I usually try to win the wand war.   I take the two spellbindable wands and attach Teleport and (pick your favorite damaging spell), on the other.   Additionally I attempt to get on a regenerating item or enchantment, and load up on protection (Aegis, Armor, Defense, circle of Lightning+Lightning ring).   I try to set up a solid defenive position early with a couple Gorgons and Hydras.   The Gorgons weaken incoming creatures (which can be a pain for anyone but the Priestess to deal with.   I can play super defensive, being able to teleport away from creatures if I'm suffering damage, and still being able to plink away at them at the same time.)  If I'm not playing the priestess, then my opponent has big problems from the Gorgons.  If I'm able to disolve my opponent's healing wand, then they usually have no way to remove "Weaken", and the Gorgons turn any creatures they send forward into useless dead weight.   

I'm definitely the one who's attempting to drag the game out.   I've played aggressive players and they tend to get overextended trying too hard to push into my defenses and get blasted.  If they can't push forward and sustain their attack they will find I've put a Mana Siphon on them and they will be losing the mana war, if they don't push forward to deal with it.  And when I get ahead on mana production or face someone using swarm deck I will drop Mordock's Obelisk to further slow the game and keep swarm teams in check.   I play with 6 Nullifies to keep my wands safe.  And will try to destroy opposing wands to keep opponents from wanding up a disolve.

Playing with wands allows me to be very diverse in my strategies.    With one of each of the following spells I can:
1) Ressurection - I will never run out of creatures, on several occations I've run my opponent completely out of creatures, then resurrected all of mine.   (Game over)
2) Teleport - I can play bounce away and pick things off at range.   Taking minimal damage that I regenerate back.
3) Steal Enchantment - I can steal every useful enchantment my opponent casts.   Then they waste their own disenchants, disenchanting their own enchantments....but they run out of the disenchants, were as I never run out of the ability to steal their enchantments.
4) a diversity of direct damage - Chain lightning is great for small creature swarm teams. Other spells are more efficient against larger creatures.  And a variety of damage Fire, Lightning...etc in case an opponent is using a creaure that is vunerable to a particular type.
5) Heal - If regenerate isn't enough I can want up the heal and use it to get back to full, then back to teleport.
6) Force Push - Pushing things through walls of Fire can be entertaining and efficient.
7) Explode - I can detonate every piece of equipment my opponent has.  Since I have an unlimited supply...no piece of equpiment is too small to overlook detonating or disolving.

By just having one of each of the above spells, and two wands, I can cast those spells an unlimited number of times.

Win the wand war and you can play defensively to drag the game out and consume opponent's resources and eliminate is ability to deal with things.

As I said, maybe I haven't played anyone who's agressive and efficient.   I have managed to stave off death and drag out games.   I don't alwasy win, but I do win more than I lose.  And the Winning the Wand War is key.
Since I only put one copy of important spells in my spell book, it allows me to be very diverse.  If you win the wand war, now your opponent will run out of more and more ways to deal with things as the game goes on.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:34:52 AM by Brazil »

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
Sounds like your experience is entirely a product of two things. 1. Your own strategy (and a person should not whine about the consequences of their own strategy. 2. A lack of skilled opponents (find some better opponents, you local gaming store may host a Mage Wars night.)