April 30, 2024, 07:21:31 AM

Author Topic: Mana Curve  (Read 4437 times)

Dapuma

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mana Curve
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
What is the general mana curve per game, i.e. you need to balance out your casting cost requirements through the game, so how many 1, 2, 3 cost spells should you have etc

has anyone done a mathmatical analysis of this yet?  (i am no engineer so it is not my area of expertise) just looking to know if there is a general curve for building an initial deck

or is there a % of attack spells, enchantments, incantations etc to start off with then modify from there

Would prefer to free form my first few decks and not use the starting decks, and would looking to play Tournament style (competative)

Thanks
Dapuma

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mana Curve
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
there isnt really a mana curve since you can draw what you want when you want (ie you wont be upset to have a high casting cost in your hand in the beginning)

you can build a deck around really high cost spells, but you will be saving mana longer to cast them.  add in extra channeling.

as for the % of spells.  i figure about 30ish points of your deck (about 25%) should be reacting to what your opponent is doing. how are you going to deal with enchantments, how are you going to deal with equipment, etc.  also your main defences go in this catagory.  blocks, nullify, etc.

the rest is your build, what do you want to do and how do you want to do it.  ive made builds with no attack cards that work.  it just depends on what you want to do.  my advice would be to start general with a little of everything and play a few games and see how it works.

its interesting in mage wars its not just whats in your book its how you play it.  it is possibly to make a book that has 2 seperate distinct strategies.  this gives you the flexability to change strategies based on who your faceing, or even change mid stride if one isnt working.

for example i had a melee build warlock that found himself all decked out with melee attack and ended up with 6 weak counters he couldnt get rid of, redicucing his melee damage to 1 die attacks.  but i had an elemental wand and some fire spells, plus nullify to protect it from a disolve, so i ended up winning that game.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Dapuma

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
ok thanks that is very helpful

So Jinx with the Wizard mana ring can "pin" your opponent by making them not be able to cast their first spell every turn for the first 6 turns and you can reveal for free while building mana advantage off the siphon mana card - if played correctly that works, right?

To upset their casting tempo...although after that is over they are going to have a stash of spells to use so you better have board advantage by then...

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:45:56 PM »
you may not be in range to cast jinx on turn one but that is one good strategy to do.  you could also throw down cards like force hold and tanglevine to keep them from moving as well.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
There isn't a mana curve, but you can think about a "spell level curve." You are going to have some level 1 spells, a lot of level 2 and level 3 spells, and then a handful of the really expensive spells (that are level 4 or 5). If you were to graph a curve with the Y-axis being spell level and the X-axis being number of spells of that level, you are going to get a curve that peaks somewhere at level 2 or level 3 (assuming you made a decent spellbook). The Y-axis would take into account the level of the spell with respect to the Mage being used (i.e. fire spells cost more for beastmaster, holy spells cost more for warlock, etc.)
"See you space cowboy..."

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
you may not be in range to cast jinx on turn one but that is one good strategy to do.  you could also throw down cards like force hold and tanglevine to keep them from moving as well.

Jinx is situational and I've used it successfully. Just note that it refunds the mana + it does not work on full cast. At turn 2 they can cast their biggest creature out or cast the most expensive spell to remove all magic or Mass sleep or something to that regards.