April 27, 2024, 01:50:01 PM

Author Topic: Soft play board (arena)  (Read 12321 times)

symme7ry

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Soft play board (arena)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:52 AM »
Just want to chime in that the portability issue is a big deal for me as well, so any sort of roll-able mat would be awesome.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
I really want AW to look into this. Any news now Shadow?

Am I right if the current play board is half the size of a regular Magic play mat? If so, is it possible that AW can upload two high resolution jpeg here so that I/we can order two custom made play mats somewhere?

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
Depends on what you mean by Magic play mat...most official play mats for that game are meant for only you, not your opponent, and even combined are not as large as the MW arena.  Custom ones are usually smaller, sometimes larger, depending on how much you're willing to pay.

Speaking of, if someone got a hold of the arena image, I can't see why you couldn't get a custom soft playmat version.

I personally really like the feel of a board as an arena, it feels more "real" as if you're looking down into an arena.  If anything, I would kinda like arena walls to give the game a more 3d feel, but that's probably not everyone's preference.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »
Nothing yet but we have both been busy getting things together.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
You know.....You can get a mono colored placemat and just draw lines with a ruler and a magic marker if it is of great importance until one officially is released like reddawn suggested.(One line strait through the middle and two vertical to make the 2x3 half would be easier then making half zones the other way.) I might use one of my older wargame grass mats and scratch off "grass" to make lines, since is it twice the size but folds up. Just a thought.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=8965
You know.....You can get a mono colored placemat and just draw lines with a ruler and a magic marker if it is of great importance until one officially is released like reddawn suggested.(One line strait through the middle and two vertical to make the 2x3 half would be easier then making half zones the other way.) I might use one of my older wargame grass mats and scratch off "grass" to make lines, since is it twice the size but folds up. Just a thought.

That may have been how I made a prototype play mat :whistle:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
Just a suggestion, How about like a plastic tube designed like a scroll with different markings (Beastmaster=plants/trees/animals) to carry the mat? Just like for the vynal mat for Dreamblade.
Evil acts are committed every day,
So therefore the world is evil.
I would have to disagree.
Yes, the world may be filled to the brim with darkness,
But, if we try, with a smile or a hug,
We can light it up.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
^THIS............................GUY.............................HERE.............................!!!
Make a cool tube that looks like a scroll or scroll casing........grab your spell book........and walk around feeling more like a wizard then you did in elementary school with a D&D book that no one knew what it was and thought you had some sort of spell book! The mat still needs some cool flavor IMO.(Sold separately :) )
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 09:16:38 PM »
count me among those who would love a more travel friendly version.  I'm traveling for about a week and want to show the game to some friends.  I sat at the office store staring at storage options and found nothing that could conveniently fit the pieces into compartments and fit the board.  

Another handy travel tip:3 ring binders.  Saves wear and tear on your smaller ones (bust them out for special occasions lol), You look at 9 spells at a time, and you can put multiple spell books in each one.  Very handy.

I'm just going to use baggies and pack the board and some books into my backpack.  Mat would be pretty sick.  Board is 12 by 16 inches, pretty tight fit if you can even get it in a backpack.  I'll probably have to put my board in my suitcase to protect it properly.

whatever, though, anything to spread the joy of MW.  I guarantee you they're going to sell a few extra copies after my friends get a chance to play!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »
Some of the best containers I have found are the chewing gum "Car Cup" containers 60 count. You can keep all your dice in one, all of the chits and markers in a second (or 3rd  or 4th if you have given up smoking like I have) and when it comes to game time you can remove the lids turn upside down and use to hold you mana and damage chits. If they were about 3 mm shorter they would even fit in to the box.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 07:26:13 AM »
I ask again:
Is it possible that someone from AW can upload a high resulotion picture of the borad, which I/we can use to order a custom made magic play mat?

Or maybe someonw else who are skilled in art work / Photoshop can make cool arena pictures for this?

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »
I have to bump this topic once again. Now I have found a good printer who can do this, I only need the picture of the board.

Can you (AW) please upload a high resolution picture of the board in here for this purpose?
Thank you!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
It is my understanding that Arcane Wonders will be offering something like this in the future. I am hoping near future....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
It is my understanding that Arcane Wonders will be offering something like this in the future. I am hoping near future....

We all have the same hope

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »
Is it possible to get a confirmation from AW whether or not they will publish this picture for us?