April 27, 2024, 05:32:26 PM

Author Topic: More tutorial videos  (Read 5013 times)

CaptainGeek

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
More tutorial videos
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »
I really like the tutorial videos on the web site, but I would like to see a few more.  Hear are a few suggestions:

1. A general deck building tutorial.
2. A meta card tutorial.  (listing the cards most likely to be helpful meta game wise, regardless of the mage.).
3. A end game tutorial, or at least a hint or two on devious ways to finish off opponents.   :)

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: More tutorial videos
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:22:13 AM »
I would like to see a video of 2 people play the game with their spellbooks and battle it out in front of the camera , tutorials are enough as they are. i would love to see a playthrough.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:24:26 AM »
I might could throw something together for our geeky youtube page next time me and my brother get together to work out some mage wars stuff.

Been kinda wanting to do something video related to the game.

CaptainGeek

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »
There is a four part walkthrough now, but it stops short of the endgame.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »
There is an excellent, detailed walk through of a full game on board game geek. By Tox from Crits Happen. I watched that and could pretty much play the game without reading the actual rule book!

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/22621/mage-wars/critical-plays-mage-wars-part-i

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=11675
I might could throw something together for our geeky youtube page next time me and my brother get together to work out some mage wars stuff.

If you do i hope you can post a link somewhere :) and please add some comentaries, sometimes in the video you can't see the cards clear, so a nice "name the card" would be awsome :D. thx

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:59:39 AM »
Quote from: "Lightseed" post=11720
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=11675

If you do i hope you can post a link somewhere :) and please add some comentaries, sometimes in the video you can't see the cards clear, so a nice "name the card" would be awsome :D. thx

I lll bounce some ideas around.  Maybe just take my equipment up to the next organized play event and make something.

CaptainGeek

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »
Please do.  That would be awesome sauce!   8)

Varys

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
I think this game desperately needs more gameplay videos and not just people teaching others how to play.  I think if people start to see how competitive decks and matches play out and how certain popular strategies are used, you'll see a greater appreciation for the game and attract more players. 

For example, using Vs System as an albeit old example, if you tried to attract people by saying they could play a Batman deck with his various tricks and his allies, it didn't work with everyone.  Sometimes, they had to see a Batman deck in action where they actually saw how good cards like GCPD Cop, Alfred, Bat-Signal, and Fizzle were. 

Sometimes, it's not just about the mage and the mage's style of play that attracts people.  Sometimes, what's really attractive to people are the specific cards and tricks the mage has at his disposal.  If you told me I could play blah mage who summons lots of creatures, that's not as interesting as you showing me blah card I can cast on turn 1 and then if you manage to show me why that card is so good or cool, that will be even more interesting to me than knowing I was playing a mage that could cast lots of creatures.

Also, I think actual gameplay videos will tend to make games faster.  Once people see how certain combos play out, they'll get a better feel for what they could be doing rather than being overwhelmed by the number of choices and thus leading to slower games.  I've seen so many comments regarding how speed of play increases as you get more experienced.  Watching others play the game will be equivalent to getting more experience.