April 25, 2024, 08:26:43 PM

Author Topic: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS  (Read 363105 times)

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Kumanjaro - SPOILERS
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »
It looks like a cycle of level 3 cards with intercept trait for each school.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
Hmmm, looking at that article on the new expansion I noticed that the Holy Avenger ability is just described as giving +5 life, whereas before it was described as doing that and giving a boost to melee attacks when attacking a creature that attacked one of your creatures on the same turn.  I'm wondering if that is still part of the ability, or if it was removed during playtesting.

Also, it's getting kind of silly with the cards that have references to Frost and Defrost...with no Frost spells in the game.  I know they are coming...but still, it's kind of odd to have so many references to something that isn't in the game yet. 

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
Hmmm, looking at that article on the new expansion I noticed that the Holy Avenger ability is just described as giving +5 life, whereas before it was described as doing that and giving a boost to melee attacks when attacking a creature that attacked one of your creatures on the same turn.  I'm wondering if that is still part of the ability, or if it was removed during testing.
As of right now, I'm pretty sure The holy avenger will get a bonus to certain melee attacks.  I don't think that was removed.
Si vis pacem para bellum

patrickconnor

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
Let me just have a look at that...

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
Hmmm, not sure this is all that great of a card.  It's ok, but a bit narrow in its use since it can only remove Level 1 Enchantments.  The peek ability is alright, but not as good as Huginn's since he can do it without wasting your Mage's action. 

I'll give it a shot, but all in all I'm not sure I'll use this very often, if at all.  I think I'd rather just go with the standard Mage Wand with a Dispel attached. 

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »
The power of the card is in the information gained. Not in being able to remove everything.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »
The power of the card is in the information gained. Not in being able to remove everything.

I get that the peeking can be useful, I'm just not sure it's worth equiping this card to do it since it takes up a hand slot and an action to use.  Huginn is cool because he can peek without using your Mage's action.  I usually feel extrememly action starved in this game as it is, taking an action to peek at a facedown card seems like something I would only do very, very rarely.  I'd rather just use a Decoy to see if I can trigger the face down card or something like that. 

Just my opinion based on first impression, but I could be wrong and maybe others will make extensive use of this.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
Huginn Is cool, but he is wizard only.  This grants all mages the ability to peek at hidden enchantments...  Even if its less efficient.  It's a low cost balancing item, and I think it'll be very useful in certain builds...  Especially the arcane starved Warlord.  I like it.
Si vis pacem para bellum

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »
Another wans???? it´s great but my mage use 2 wands, i need another hand!!!

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
Hmmm, not sure this is all that great of a card.

I can think of several instances in which this would be useful. The fact that it is a Dispel as well as a way to avoid Reverse Magic traps is pretty useful.

Probably depends on your local scene though
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

patrickconnor

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
Anti-Invisible Stalker Tech.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
Okay, that's very cool. That will help with incorporeal targets that I have trouble killing in a few builds.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
Not that exciting, but it's probably not supposed to be. This continues the "every ability has an enchantment" theme. It's only a matter of time before the equal and opposite, "This creature gains incorporeal" enchantment is printed.

3 mana for the reveal seems kinda high, but the spell level is right to include it as a silver bullet in most control decks. Agro decks will probably continue to play Mage Staff or curses.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
I think it is good card and good reveal cost. Weak at first sight like Cheetah Speed.

Maybe some creatures will have the Etheral+X trait? :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
Not that exciting, but it's probably not supposed to be. This continues the "every ability has an enchantment" theme. It's only a matter of time before the equal and opposite, "This creature gains incorporeal" enchantment is printed.

3 mana for the reveal seems kinda high, but the spell level is right to include it as a silver bullet in most control decks. Agro decks will probably continue to play Mage Staff or curses.

Who plays mage staff in an aggro build?
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage