April 23, 2024, 11:41:56 PM

Author Topic: Names for Mages.  (Read 6965 times)

Rhiojin

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Names for Mages.
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:14:46 AM »
I think mages should come with names. So instead of just "Wizard" or "Priestess" it could be Norhorn the Wizard or Therlyn the Priestess.
I think this would allow for a more Identifiable and varied selection of classes along with it also fitting more with the lore since I'm sure there are multiple wizards in the world of Etheria with some who also studied the same schools of magic but would have different abilites

To me Norhorn the Wizard vs Leoward the Wizard "sounds" better than just Wizard vs Wizard.

"Dark" Priestess vs "Holy" Priestess is a good middle ground.

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Names for Mages.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »
The different Mages are refereed to as class types in the rule book, so I don't think the Mage wars team considers them individuals which are named.  In reading the World of Etheria page I do see some named individuals. It is possible that these named individuals might be released later? in particular I would like to see Morweena, the Bog Queen.

feel free to name your wizards though... that sounds fun, I might do that myself  (^_^)

Gigan

• Elder
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »
There will be named Mages in the future.  We want to put out powerful Archmages that can take on 2-3 players at once, and those will definitely be named.

You could always name a particular spellbook build.  We often did this during playtesting.

Rhiojin

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
Sounds good  :cheer:

theswampking

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
I actually like the role-playing element added by having unnamed mage archetypes/classes instead of named characters.  Picking a broad class and defining my character by constructing a spellbook is a neat feature, I think.  That said, "prefab" characters like the Archmages mentioned above are an interesting idea, even adding to the mythos of the gameworld.

I suppose this may be as good a place as any to suggest a future expansion to include second (or third or fourth depending on number purchased) copies of the mages themselves.  If two people want to play a Warlock class, currently, a second core set is needed, with all the extraneous (board, action markers, dice, etc.) parts included.  These second copies could have alternate artwork to differentiate them, specifically, they could be of the opposite gender.  I know in Talisman many were not pleased with the dearth of female characters in the base game; there are as many "monster" characters as there are women.  Perhaps these expansions could be class specific and address the concerns of those wanting mage-themed spell-tomes instead of (as well as) magic school or play style themed releases.  These could also include the oft requested extra, complimentary copies of spells "missing" from the core set and the "Core Spell Tome".

Really loving this game!

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
There is a simpler, and much more grounded reason that the Mages should have names:

Expansion.

The ability to create multiple different Mages that are the same "class" (i.e. "Priestess" or "Wizard") is a powerful opportunity to grow this game toward customization options that are currently unrealistic.

For example:

The current Priestess does X and Y. X= the ability to remove condition markers from characters. Y= gaining 1 life every time a holy incantation or enchantment is revealed. It would be so much...richer...for the game, if there were multiple kinds of Priestess who each did something just a little bit differently, but still were all in the Holy School.

Design = easier when you don't work your way into a corner from inception.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.