March 28, 2024, 05:32:48 AM

Author Topic: Defining a book build  (Read 26956 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Defining a book build
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »
We got into a discussion in another thread about what is a solo build. A few few questions came up what is a solo build.

We have talked before the difference between Aggro, Control, and Combo. By purest definition a solo build is a mage only with no creatures. Yes this can work but It has some big problems when it comes to action efficiently and number of actions.

I personally would recommended 1-2 creatures in a build. This is closet I have seen builds get to the solo and still be affective.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Hey_Daralon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Defining a book build
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
Agreed. The only mage I've seen that could possibly pull it off would be the Forcemaster. I played two matches against an opponent FM that had creatures, but just didn't summon them and I came out on top due to his problem with keeping up a strong supply of mana.
I think the Wizard has a shot if you have a lot of Attack spells, strong defenses, and just keep attacking the mage. But then again, just one decently strong creature helps immensely.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
When I saw this topic pop up in a thread I was going to write a short article titled the role of the mage. Since this thread has already been created I guess I'll layout my thoughts here.

It seems to me that there are three main roles that mages can take in a game of MW. They are the beatdown mage, the tactical mage, and the support mage. These categories are broad enough that mages will fill them in different ways, but are still fairly easy to define.

The beatdown mage is a primary attacker. He may be a solo mage or he may have some help from his friends. The one thing you can be sure of though, he will be on the front lines mixing it up.

The tactical mage is not shy about fighting. The primary difference between him and the beatdown mage is that he is more prone to pick his spots to attack, trying to deal decent damage while minimizing his own personal risk. The tactical mage will be a secondary attacker and use creatures to put the pressure on the opposing mage and keep him off-balance.

The support mage is not prone to taking risks. He will let his creatures do his fighting for him, while he supports them from the rear with buffs, ranged attacks, and fresh troops to replace the fallen. Since the only way to win a game of mage wars is to defeat the opposing mage, the support mage will eventually find himself in combat as his opponent brings the fight to him. He only engages in melee combat when it is more prudent than running away.

I suppose there may be more than three categories but these seem to cover the roles I have seen mages take so far.

CaptainGeek

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »
So, is the biggest problem for the Aggro Mage dealing with a well built defense?
It seems to me (from a purely noob perspective) that if an Aggro Mage's offense stalls,
then he is probably going to lose.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
Honestly, I've found that everyone has their own internal definition of many things like "solo" and "Beatdown". If our goal is to settle on a lexicon that everyone can agree with, lets start with the really well defined terms:

Aggro, Control, Combo: everyone agrees on these.
Rush: An early game aggro build, often contrasted with Midrange Aggro
Turtle: The opposite of Rush, never attacks, waits for enemy to come
Creatureless: No creatures
Swarm: Many creatures
Melee Build: Mage uses melee attacks
Nuke build: Mage uses attack spells
DoT build: Mage uses damage over time spells
Mana Drain build: Mage uses mana drains

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
Agreed.  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:42:02 PM »
Currently trying to work out a Solo Warlord build. I tried Warlord swarm and hated it. I tried Warlord with a couple fat creatures. Hated that also. If Solo Warlord doesn't work then I'm ditching the Warlord for good. Either his creatures aren't as good as they are supposed to be or I'm just not playing them right. The consensus is that the FM is best for soloing. Maybe I'll give her another go.
"See you space cowboy..."

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
Just going to Necrobump this thread here.....

Enchantment transfusion has opened up a whole new world for "solo/buddy/whatever you know what I mean builds.

You gain a lot of actions (Back) when you enchant a creature up- and then transfusion it back to your mage.

After a few turns of equipping, and even enchanting your self- using enchantment transfusion at the right time should give you plenty of tempo to swing the game in your favor-

I just cannot stress enough how good this card is for solo builds.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
Shocked it took this long for you to notice

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
I havnet been on the forums at all for like two months (You know what I mean)! You know where I have been Shad0w......"the dark part of the internet!"
Within Shad0w.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »
the dark side of the internet...of course that's where you would be, Vader. (I'm assuming that's where you got your username from?)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »
Yes sir! I got sick of everyone else using my user name that I have had since the early 90's (Puppet or ManaBurn) and after my son was born- I decided to make one that was unique and incorporated everything that was important to me. I also have a HUGE thing for Alliteration and symmetry.

SO- Darth(Star Wars)Dada(being a father)D20(Table Top Gaming)- Has Alliteration with the 3D's and goes in order of having 5-then-4-then-3-letters.

I am dead serious- that was all planed out when I decided to make this name.

I might have a problem....

Oh- And come to the darkside, we have cookies.
Within Shad0w.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:05 PM »
You do realize that that very offer has been made so many times throughout the history of the internet that the cookies are now stale, right?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
How dare you insult my cookies!!!!

They are fresh-like- chips ahoy fresh!

(Actually you have made a very wise decision- I just take the filling out of Oreos and fill them back up with tooth paste! EVIL!!!!)
Within Shad0w.