April 19, 2024, 01:36:16 PM

Author Topic: Card distribution in future products  (Read 17937 times)

mitkosim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Card distribution in future products
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »
Well I would just like to say that I am really glad that people shared their views on this thread. Whether because of it or not, I cannot say but the MW team has put up a survey on their facebook page about how you would like to address obtaining additional cards. So head over there and make your opinion count! :)

Here's the link to the page:
https://www.facebook.com/MageWars

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
Quote from: "mitkosim" post=1673
Well I would just like to say that I am really glad that people shared their views on this thread. Whether because of it or not, I cannot say but the MW team has put up a survey on their facebook page about how you would like to address obtaining additional cards. So head over there and make your opinion count! :)

Here's the link to the page:
https://www.facebook.com/MageWars

I am going to copy pasta (for those who do not know its a web thing) this in the general thread as a sticky for a while till the pole closes.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
mmmm, pasta!   must be lunch time :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
Yes it is but I got Chinese.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
then why didnt you copy chinese?
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
: :side: even I would not understand it then. :lol:

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »
regardless of the format of future expansions; whether themed around a particular Mage or school centric, are there any discussions among the team about the actual card count within the expansions? Meaning a standard scheme of number of copies for a given type of card.  

For example: 1 copy of any epic spell, 2 copies of every spell above level one, and 3 copies of all level one spells.

this type of scheme would allow for more dependable expansions (along the lines of the LCG's) and if people have the completionist bug they can easily fulfill it with 2 sets.

dokdaka

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 03:21:39 AM »
I can't overstate how important it is to me and my playgroup that all expansions include 4 of each card.  This is so important to most gamers that fantasy flight actually went back and re-released most of their older "a game of thrones" boosters in a 3x format.  Please, please don't put us in the position of having to buy multiples of the same product to play the deck we want.  The fact is most players simply won't.  They'll either play a different game or just make proxies of the missing cards.  The only players who will buy multiples are those few who plan on playing in "official tournaments" if and when those come into being.  

I understand why the core set was released the way it was.  I'm really hoping that between the core, first, and  second core spell tomes we will have 4 copies of each core spell.  

Regarding how expansions are packaged thematically:  this is so much less important than card distribution that I almost don't want to comment on it.  Almost :)  I'd suggest thematic expansions that provide a balanced selection of cards for all schools of magic.  This will help prevent various mages from dominating simply b/c they have more spells available - as would be the case for individual mage or school of magic expansions.  Also, it will help you business model as it will encourage players to buy each product.  The end result is selling more (good for you!) and players being happy that they don't have to buy multiples of the same product (b/c they will be released in 4x distribution, right?)

(one other option would be to do a fixed 2x distribution.  This might be a valid compromise that would still allow players to easily have a complete set of spells)

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you a quick update. We are always listening to your feedback, and trying to incorporate it as best we can into our future designs. We're proud today to announce the second core spell tome, with a focus on some of the higher level spells and legendary cards. Between Core Spell Tome 1 and Core Spell Tome 2, we have every spell in the game available. We're hoping this kind of open relationship between the players and designers means that we can make better decisions in the future about which cards to include and how to distribute them, but for now, I just wanted to let you know. We're listening!

http://magewars.com/jsite/jnews/lists/latest-news/2012-december/item/90-announcing-the-core-spell-tome-2

Simplify

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »
When i play a game I like to play it to the fullest. As far as Mage Wars go I love the game and as soon as I got it I wanted to play the 4 mages, but there was simply not enough cards to max each mages to my liking. Many solutions are being talked about, but the way I see it,  the Core set should have all the copies that the rules permits, 6 of each level one and 4 of each of the higher level. I'd rather pay more for a complete game from the start and not having to wait and buy additionals components. To play it the way I like, I had to buy 2 Core Sets and 2 Spell Tomes 1. I wish the expansion with the Forcemaster comes with the complete set of cards that the rules permits and no new cards for the older mages, instead they could make a special box set with whatever new cards they want to introduce. It would be both simplier and cheaper for everybody, eliminate the frustation of not being able to builds your spellbooks to their full capacity, and ensure customer fidelity, cause I won't be buying 2 base sets and 2 Spell tomes every expansion.

mitkosim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I thought I'd post here instead of creating a whole new one.

All I wanted to say is kudos to AW! The card distribution in the Forcemaster/Warlord expansion is pretty great! There are plenty of new spells with quite a few copies of each. Not all of them are max count, but I agree with the choices made (and second expansion solves any issues, unlike with the Core Set) and will continue to support the game :) I was really holding my breath about how things would work out for expansions but I am very glad to see them as they are. Keep up this model for any future new card expansions and I think threads like this one will be a thing of the past!