April 18, 2024, 08:45:46 PM

Author Topic: Card distribution in future products  (Read 17928 times)

Jestor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Card distribution in future products
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 01:05:41 PM »
One reason FFG changed their LCG format to include maximum copies of each new card released was because they were losing players who got frustrated with buying multiple sets only to have max copies of one card and 3 times the max on other cards from that same set.

I realize that FFG has enough money and production costs behind them that they can do a different release model.  I personally enjoyed when they moved to the new format.  I would rather see less cards per set but the ability to max out in every set purchased.  I have not spent any less money on LCG's since the change.  I was even ok with the copies of cards that weren't useful to the types of decks I built.  

I would strongly suggest moving towards this kind of model with future releases!

Tacullu64

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »
That could work with certain types of sets but I don't think it would work as well with the Mage sets because not all of the cards will be new. I wouldn't want to get 4 dispels or other universally useful spells every time a new ready to play from the box set is released. You would end up with a bunch of extra copies you don't need.

Don't get me wrong I like the concept, I'm just not certain it would translate to the way sets will be assembled for this game. Of course the game is still Fairly new and I could be proven wrong.

Jestor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 08:34:27 AM »
My assumption was that, if it were packaged this way, people would generally buy most sets so they would not need to reprint dispel or nullify.  

Do the box sets need to be ready to play?  Magic has some but their general release sets are not ready to play and they seem to do ok.  I know I personally would purchase the Warlord set if it came with all his new weapons and minions and I had to add in my own common spells from the base set.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
i believe they want each set to be ready to play.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Jestor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
While, in idea, that sounds cool, I don't need another mage that comes with 6 more copies of Block.  I bought the starter set and the spell tome and already have 7 copies, more then I can use in a deck.  If the game goes the way of paying for cards you don't need then it might as well go with a CCG format as a lot of players like myself just won't pay time and time again for cards that are useless copies.  

In order to get max copies of a card right now you need 4 sets of the core set IIRC.  That's 240 bucks.  Not only that but then you end up with 20 copies of Block.  What do you do with the other 14?  Make them coasters?

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
they want each set to be self contained.   i expect some people will play, participate in events and such and not own a core set.  if you just buy the forcemaster.warlord set, you have a ready to play forcemaster.  add into it a spell tome of the type of spells you want and boom, you have the tourniment ready spellbook you wanted.

Jestor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »
That's one way to go.  They will probably not get much more money from me if they continue in that vein.  In deck building games, if you do not have access to all fo the cards available you are at a disadvantage as the meta changes.  I don't need 14 copies of a card I can't play.  Therefore I will probably play the core set and spell tome and never buy another Mage Wars product again.  

The resounding stance by the LCG players of FFG's products has shown that the market also swings the way my personal feelings do.  They evolved their marketing strategy to fit what made sense to players in order to make money.  My fear would be that Mage Wars wouldn't and thus become a game that ends up not making it.

Tacullu64

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
All of this brings me back to selling singles as a way of getting the cards you need without having to buy a set for a few singleton copies you are missing.

They could also sell the promos so that people that can't make events have a chance to get them too.

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »
What about in the online store having a section that allows us gamers to select X number of cards to construct our own Mage Tome?? esspecially with the new Mages that are coming out, so say the Forcemaster box have all of the new Forcemaster cards in that box, then the dude purchasing the Forcemaster box can choose another 20 or 30 points of cards from previous sets??

That way people can choose not to get duplicates of cards they already have.

Just a thought :)

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
i think online singles might be a good way to go for getting the extra cards.

jestor, you cant rally compare this to a LCG.  even though it is very similar.  you can not buy a set, not have any of those cards and still have a very competitive build.  if your playing an air mage chances are you dont need many fire spells, so dont buy the fire spell pack of cards.

i think the singles idea would be great.  maybe i should look at selling singles online.

Rhiojin

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 05:41:11 AM »
Quote from: "Scarob" post=1433
What about in the online store having a section that allows us gamers to select X number of cards to construct our own Mage Tome?

This is a really good idea  :ohmy:

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
Quote from: "Rhiojin" post=1531
Quote from: "Scarob" post=1433
What about in the online store having a section that allows us gamers to select X number of cards to construct our own Mage Tome?

This is a really good idea  :ohmy:

YIPPY ^^....enjoy your karma XD

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
If each consumer were allowed to build their own spell tome, that would be INCREDIBLY costly. That makes much more work on the publishers part, and possibly the printers. I don't think it would be cost effective, as they'd have to charge you like $30 for 50 cards or something to make up for the production values.

Now if you were talking about the online store having a singles section, then yes that would be cool.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »
Singles in the online store...  Wonderful idea!
Si vis pacem para bellum

quyrean

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 12:35:24 AM »
How about releasing a "mega tome" that contains all the rest of the cards needed to get 4-6 of each spell when combined with the base set?  This should not replace the "core spell tome" but would be an alternate choice for those who want the "complete" set.

I know there were "tough choices" involved, but my personal preference would have been to have the core set come with 4 pre-made wizard starter decks (each in a little box or plastic) and a few less extra cards.  I realize it is a two player game, but I want to try out all the wizards without having to shuffle cards around.