April 23, 2024, 02:19:19 AM

Author Topic: Drafting, a second thought  (Read 6585 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Drafting, a second thought
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
To draft in Mage Wars would be a brilliant concept, would it not? But, there are a lot of cards to go through, and building spellbooks can oft take a while. So, what is my solution? Well, I have two, but both encompass the same creating a "cube". Perhaps let's explain what a "cube" is before we go off explaining how we can use that concept. A cube is a set of cards, usually 360, that have specifically for use while drafting. In other words, you are drafting a fixed set of cards every single time. So far I have just been using a third core as my "cube", but I am working on shortening the card list, altering it to make it all the better.

So, let's say you have got a set of cards together all ready for drafting.

What now?

Well, these two solutions are a little strange, but they seem to really really work so far with 2 people. Before starting anything, take out the four mage cards, shuffle them throughly together, and each of you will choose a face down mage. Set the remaining two cards aside without looking at them, and each player then looks at their mage. this is the mage they will be building their spellbook around. Sort all your cards into Attacks, Creatures, Conjurations, Equipment, Incantations, and Enchantments. shuffle each of these six piles throughly, and then deal out 15 Attack spells to each player, putting the rest away. Each player will pick up their pile of fifteen cards, choose one, and pass their pile to their opponent. Each player will then choose one card from that new pile and then passes that pile to their opponent. You are going to keep picking and passing until all piles are exhausted. Next, deal out 15 equipment cards to each player, and repeat this picking and passing procedure. After equipment, you are going to deal out 20 creatures to each player (giving them a few more options), and then you are going to repeat the picking and packing procedure. And then you are going to deal out 24 incantations to each player, drafting in the same way as before. And then you will do the same (dealing out 24 cards to each player) for enchantments, repeating the same procedure. Now, what is interesting about drafting just the core set, is that players will each have a different mage to choose from, in most cases. As far as building spellbooks go, players still have 120 points to spend in anyway they want to, using all of the same stipulations that normally go into spellbook building.

For the second method, you are going to use that same method for choosing mages, but instead of sorting and shuffling separately, you are going to shuffle the entirety of the cube, and then deal 50 cards to each player. Next, each player will deal two cards in front of each other, forming a tableau of 4 cards, two in front of each player. Now, the player who chose their mage second will pick one of those piles, place it beside him, and then each player will deal one card on top of each of their respective piles. The next player will then choose a pile, place it near him, and then all players deal one card onto each of their piles. The next player will then choose a pile, place it on top of the first pile he had chosen, and then each player will deal one card onto each of their two piles. Repeat until all 100 cards have been drafted. Players have 80 points to spend on their spellbooks.

Well, try these out! Tell me what you all think, any improvements, suggestions, what have you...
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Drafting, a second thought
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »
Good read. I love to draft in MtG, so I will have to try this out.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
The first method was in fact created with MTG drafting in mind. Not knowing what the opponent's mage is effectively makes hate drafting a much more intelligent, albiet difficult, decision, which I think is the best part about MTG drafting. That, and MTG draft deck builds are fairly simple to make, as you are building your deck as you draft, and then basically cutting cards at the end. This really cuts down on the spellbook building time, so, it may seem super time consuming, but two players that know the cards fairly well will draft and build in about 45 minutes tops.
Always carry a towel...

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
Not sure I'm a fan of drafting in MW.  MTG basically has no real enforced theme and has cards specifically designed with draft in mind, so it works out.  MW heavily enforces theme through its schools of magic system so depending on the draft pool, the drafting could be pretty imbalanced.  

This could be interesting for experienced players to do as a kind of "for fun" deal, but I'd rather not see it become a main part of the MW gameplay.  It would just be another reason for people to talk about how MW is just a MTG clone and honestly, games like MTG and Ascension are specifically designed and pretty much better for the draft experience.  

Gamers seem to be assuming that MW is not unique in its conception and compare it to other "Mage Games," when that assumption is just dead wrong.  It's far more a miniatures game than a TCG in how the spellbook system operates, yet even then it's very different and deserves recognition as a new, impressive idea.  I'd rather not, at this stage in its youth, see the game steer into a direction which would only reinforce misconceptions.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Just to clarify, I don't think it's an overall bad idea necessarily, I just think this early on it wouldn't be constructive to the MW image.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
I have posted a lot on just how MW and MTG are NOT related, nor comparable. This varient was to show how elements from other games could be used to create a realistic draft environment in MW. What makes it interesting is just how similar the drafting dynamic feels in two vastly different games. I do think MW is a tactical miniatures game more than a card game, but it still has TCG/card elements, and a lot of them. From resource generation to bluffing, MW offers a lot to the card game field. MW is not a better MTG, because they are two completely different games. Yes, MW has a lot more theme, but so does Modernized Magic, with planeswalkers and a push for a bigger playing field for creatures, and yet drafting still is a very strong element of gameplay. It allows you to look at the cards past theme, and to see what the cards are when they are stripped of all thematic elements. I think that in order to WIN at Mage Wars, you also have to deny that thematic element in the cards while you are spell book building. This drafting varient gives players an opportunity to do that while having fun.

And, as a further note to the MW image, I don't think it's drafting that will hurt it. From the few gamers that I have talked to about MW that didn't actually like it, the reason they didn't like it wasn't from the comparable game play to MTG. It was the fact that the sales staff said it was a better MTG. So, if players were actually able to play the game without the comparisons to MTG, they would be able to make an unbiased opinion enough to decide for themselves that they are two completely different games.

There is drafting in Ascension? :D

Thank you for the thoughts, though, mate, I often read your posts and just nod my head in agreement, so it's always interesting to read what you have to say!
Always carry a towel...

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
I find the thought of drafting an interesting idea, though it would take away the very best part of the game (to me). I love the deep thinking and planning part before I ever sit down to play the game.

I think both of your proposals are viable solutions to those would like to draft.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 02:23:45 PM »
Quote from: "padawanofthegames" post=10701
I have posted a lot on just how MW and MTG are NOT related, nor comparable. This varient was to show how elements from other games could be used to create a realistic draft environment in MW. What makes it interesting is just how similar the drafting dynamic feels in two vastly different games. I do think MW is a tactical miniatures game more than a card game, but it still has TCG/card elements, and a lot of them. From resource generation to bluffing, MW offers a lot to the card game field. MW is not a better MTG, because they are two completely different games. Yes, MW has a lot more theme, but so does Modernized Magic, with planeswalkers and a push for a bigger playing field for creatures, and yet drafting still is a very strong element of gameplay. It allows you to look at the cards past theme, and to see what the cards are when they are stripped of all thematic elements. I think that in order to WIN at Mage Wars, you also have to deny that thematic element in the cards while you are spell book building. This drafting varient gives players an opportunity to do that while having fun.

And, as a further note to the MW image, I don't think it's drafting that will hurt it. From the few gamers that I have talked to about MW that didn't actually like it, the reason they didn't like it wasn't from the comparable game play to MTG. It was the fact that the sales staff said it was a better MTG. So, if players were actually able to play the game without the comparisons to MTG, they would be able to make an unbiased opinion enough to decide for themselves that they are two completely different games.

There is drafting in Ascension? :D

Thank you for the thoughts, though, mate, I often read your posts and just nod my head in agreement, so it's always interesting to read what you have to say!

I know you don't think that MW is like MTG, I've read enough of what you've written to know you're smarter than that.  That comment was more directed at gamers looking at MW who group MW into the "MTG clone" category because MW is a game with cards about mages.  In reality, MTG isn't even about mages.  Hell, I don't even know what MTG is about anymore, they've skewed so wildly from its original story (not to mention its novels have been atrocious for quite a while).  

And you're correct, most of my LGS staff pretty much says exactly that.  Pretty ironic actually...a guy at my LGS made fun of the "unoriginal" concept behind mage wars, yet proceeded to buy a WWII game.  Because, you know, that theme hasn't been regurgitated half a million times  :whistle: .

Point being that, basically, I would prefer for (i.e., in a perfect world) people to play the core game first just to dispel any unfounded notion of "sameyness" they might bring to MW.  There are plenty of games that stand on the shoulders of predecessors and don't accomplish much on their own, but I can say that for the most part MW really isn't one of those.  If it was, I probably wouldn't be as into it as I obviously am.

I would like to see drafting in some form in MW's future.  Probably after support for competitive play has been around for a while.  That's what I really want to see right now.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »
I've been waiting for actual competitive play from both MW and Netrunner for a while now. Hopefully, in time we will see a competitive field to rival that of the pro tour. But, in order for that to happen, we need third party companies, sponsoring, etc. etc. I think that if the community wants it bad enough, it will happen.
Always carry a towel...

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:08:21 PM »
Quote from: "sIKE" post=10707
I find the thought of drafting an interesting idea, though it would take away the very best part of the game (to me). I love the deep thinking and planning part before I ever sit down to play the game.

I think both of your proposals are viable solutions to those would like to draft.

That's what this variation tries to immolate, just with a different way of critical thinking! Whereas when you are constructing a normal spellbook, you have this gigantic card pool to think about. Drafting tries to constrain that, to limit your options, and turns the cards themselves into valuable resources. So, instead of you having 4 nullifys to cushion you, or 3 dispels and 2 dissolves, with drafting, you know that you will only have maybe one or two of this cards into your entire deck. It changes the way we think, but it doesn't simplify it. Dig?
Always carry a towel...