April 29, 2024, 09:58:05 AM

Author Topic: Force Hold Flyers into Quicksand  (Read 2962 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Force Hold Flyers into Quicksand
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
I was thinking this combo would be great. The Quicksand does not typically affect flyers. However if I were to use the Force Hold Spell on to a Flyer (now would have the Restrained trait and loses the Flying trait as a result)  then cast a Quicksand on him he would then be unable to move out of the Quicksand as long as I pay the Upkeep. Correct? Death in Four Rounds....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Force Hold Flyers into Quicksand
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »
Youd have a choice.

Once he's in quicksand you could just not pay the upkeep and let the forcehold go, as Quicksand also restrains the target (which means he cannot re-gain flying)

BUT, if you stop paying the upkeep on Hold and the creature makes an escape roll from quicksand he's free and you ditched the Hold.

In either case you're out two control spells to get rid of one creature.  If you REALLY want to get a flyer into Quicksand, Knockdown is probably the cheaper and easier way to do it.   Ultimately though, Quicksand is pretty unreliable as a killing tool if you are counting on it to actually kill the creature.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Force Hold Flyers into Quicksand
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
A creature can still make rolls to escape from quicksand while Force Held.

That said, if you used Turn to Stone it would be entirely unable to escape and would inevitably sink to its death.

Of course, that would take a minimum of 2xLevel for the quicksand, and 2+4+12 = 18 mana for the Turn to Stone. So for example, a guaranteed Lord of Fire kill would cost 30 mana. And your opponent could counter that with a 6 mana Dispel and a 3 mana Teleport.

In general, quicksand is a good delaying tactic but is never a cost effective way to kill something.