May 03, 2024, 08:30:10 AM

Author Topic: Newbie deck help  (Read 3277 times)

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Newbie deck help
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
Hey all,

I've bought a core set of Mage Wars and own every expansion set as well.  Sadly I've only managed to get three games out of it simply because despite my fondness of the game, it's incredibly difficult to teach new players the game.  Turns take forever because they're looking through a ton of cards in their spell book every time to plan out their moves.  Unfortunately, when the game takes three hours+ because of players going through the rules then learning every card to know how to play cards, they never want to touch the game again!

Are there any decks that do a good job of teaching beginners the game without overloading them on the variety of cards/mechanics?

Thanks!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie deck help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »
Have you been using the apprentice spellbooks or the full ones?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
I find that new players focus on staying alive rather than killing me, which can drag out a game.

so plan to be a glass cannon, and kill them early or die trying. either way, the game is quicker
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
I used Apprentice to teach them the game but once it got past that, it was a slog.  I ended up having to make decks that had Mtg style 4x per card so there's less cards to read ...

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 06:01:55 PM »
So it sounds like teaching them isn't really the problem? It sounds like it's more about teaching them the concept of how to win in Mage Wars. Am I correct?

Mage Wars has an interesting flow to it unlike most card games. Since there isn't an upward curve in mana production but rather a downward one games can last forever. From what I've experienced everybody's first few games take 3+ hours.

First, I think you have the right idea with multiple copies. With less information in front of a player their decisions are easier. I would never have wanted to play the blasting banker or outpost Warlord for my first deck... Do just make sure that those decks with multiple copies has enough answers to different things. The double edged sword is that with too many copies of, let's say dispel, the newbie is going to concentrate on destroying enchantments and that will extend the game.

Second, Once a new player has had their first long battle or so look at them and tell them that tournament games last no longer than 50 mins to an hour. That will give them the idea that there's something amiss. A mage having 32+ life can be daunting at first for those who aren't new to the game. They'll compare the life total to the enemy creatures and figure that it's way easier to go after the squishier target. This can also extend the game if they're putting too much effort into controlling the battlefield.

Let them know that once they have a solid hold on the amount of creatures on the field they should put their focus on killing the enemy mage. Having more damage output on the field then the opponent is the shift that pushes the game to the end.

I'm not saying this because you don't understand it. I'm just trying to put in a way that you can explain it to new players that makes them realize the process to winning the game. Also talk through it with them as they're playing. Let them know who has the advantage and when it's time to try push for the win.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »
Hmm so far I designed four decks and tbh some of them may be more complicated than they should.  I actually did make a warlord outpost deck for one of them (basically just a bunch of archers and buffs for archers), the other is just a pure fire oriented warlock deck, etc.  I also put a lot  more creatures per deck than normal simply because I feel incantations would confuse the heck out of players but I'm not sure if that's been anyone's experience.  (Enchantments also have this issue as well, I haven't even bothered trying to explain nullify & enchantment transfusion, etc).

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:34:02 AM »
I organize spellbound by spell type so all the creatures, equipment, etc. are together. I try to teach that each spell type has a key effect on the game and players should make that decision first for any given turn. This may help them filter down their choices each turn.

I also stick to the 4 base mages until they want to learn more. Each expansion adds more mechanics and keywords which layers on more complexity for new players.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin