May 13, 2024, 11:51:10 PM

Author Topic: Decoy/Cantrip  (Read 4201 times)

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Decoy/Cantrip
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Cantrip question:
Will Cantrip work if the spell would be countered? (I guess yes, since spell is destroyed)

Decoy questions:
1. Would you get 2 mana if Decoy would be countered?
2. Would you get 2 mana if Decoy would be destroyed with Seeking Dispel?

I guess no, since Enchantment does not grant any benefit when it is not revealed.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Decoy/Cantrip
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
Ok, I had to change my original answer as it really made me have to wake up and think:

When you counter a spell the following happens:

"When a spell is countered it is discarded without effect, and you lose the mana spent and any action used to cast the spell (unless the spell or ability which counters says otherwise)."

Since the countering doesn't destroy the spell, on destruction effects can't happen.  Now, I'm not aware of any way to counter the force sword cantrip, but if there is something I am missing then it would be gone forever.  

As for Decoy:

1)  You do not get mana if countered, same as above.  The spell is discarded, not destroyed.
2)  You would get 2 mana if Seeking Dispell is used, as it specifically destroys the card.  Decoy does not say it must be reveled to return the mana, simply destroyed.

That's my final answer Regis...  let's see if I'm wrong.  :)

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »
If you wanted, you could reveal decoy before it is dispelled. No point in saying this....but there you go! And yes, Koy, you are right.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
Quote from: "Koy" post=8299
2)  You would get 2 mana if Seeking Dispell is used, as it specifically destroys the card.  Decoy does not say it must be reveled to return the mana, simply destroyed.

On the other hand, there is a rule that Enchantment has no effect until it is revealed. So destroying hidden Decoy will not trigger it's effect.

Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=8300
If you wanted, you could reveal decoy before it is dispelled. No point in saying this....but there you go! And yes, Koy, you are right.

You can't reveal Enchantment once Seeking Dispel has been cast (not even resolved - only cast).
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
@Gewar:  correct, the enchantment has no effect until revealed.  So a Bear Strength while hidden does not give +2 Melee, Divine Protection can't give Aegis, etc.  However, Decoy has no effect at all.

All the card does is that when it is revealed it is destroyed.  Also, when Decoy is destroyed (by any  means) it gives 2 mana.  So countering prevents it from ever resolving into a Decoy, it gets discarded no triggers, no nada.  Once it resolves, even if it is never revealed, if it gets destroyed it pays 2 mana.

I suppose Shad0w will be along shortly to show us that way. :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
Busy day I work so it may be a bit. I think Arcanus had a write up a while back on this.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
Quote from: "Gewar" post=8302
Quote from: "Koy" post=8299

On the other hand, there is a rule that Enchantment has no effect until it is revealed. So destroying hidden Decoy will not trigger it's effect.

Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=8300

You can't reveal Enchantment once Seeking Dispel has been cast (not even resolved - only cast).

You can reveal an enchantment during the counter spell step....Oh! durp, seeking dispel prevents that,if Decoy were to be the target... you are right. again DURP!
Within Shad0w.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=8308
you are right. again DURP!

You mean "you are right again. DURP!" - you may have 2 gold stars in one day, but you won't get any banana sticker!

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
I want a banana sticker! *Grabs guitar* I about lost it when he said that!(I love that show) I have the disadvantage of not having my cards near me, so I forgot what the text was on seeking dispel, and had to sit hear and think.....What is he talking about???.....OH YEAH!
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 07:17:28 AM »
I thought we had a few threads with info about this but I could only find 1.

decoy confirmation of use
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage