May 07, 2024, 06:00:55 AM

Author Topic: Thoughts on Domination having now played it.  (Read 3424 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Domination having now played it.
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »
Friday TrentMagus and I played two games of Domination. Here are my thoughts:

1. First we didn't make Domination specific books. The only cards we even used from the Domination box were the orb guardians. I feel certain if we'd taken 10-15 minutes to gear our books towards it then it'd have been a totally different thing. I played a Johktari Beast Master(and yes I used some cards from Academy) and he used a Bloodwave Warlord.

2. I'll say we both liked it a lot right away. The maps a little bigger than a standard Mage Wars map and that changes basically everything. We used the Ancient Wards map and without going into too much detail: yeah walls matter A LOT more now. Being able to defend a zone is all important because while it's not that hard to take an orb it's also not that hard to lose it if you aint careful. It's also really simple to let the other guy do the heavy lifting of killing the guardian before you sneak in there and take it. Tee Hee Tee Hee.....

3. Both matches, and we split then evenly on wins, were determined by V'Tari points. This makes the game go a lot faster. You need 14 points to win and it's not exactly hard to take control of an orb. We found the orb guardians to be perfectly balanced between "tough enough to require some actual attention" and "not that hard to kill when you actually get to it." So basically those little buggers are speed bumps with some kick and not much more which is what they should be in my view.

4. High range attacks can make and break you. Grimson Deadeye is amazing in Domination. You can easily put him into a position where he can just head shot guardians and enemy creatures all day every day. Poor Fellela....you truly are the reason Sniper Shot was created.  TrentMagus didn't cast one but an Akiro's Hammer would have wrecked house too. Even my Spitting Raptor was doing good work weakening guardians so my close in creatures could claim the orbs easy.

5. Mobility is also of increased importance. Fast is even more useful, Cervere was my MVP both games easily. Elusive is cool too of course but it's very simple to put Cervere in a position where he can strike several key zones all at once, and there's so much more variety in the "I should go smack that" category for the big cat to choose from. Bear Strength and Lion Savagery are nothing new to Cervere obviously, so in Domination he's threatening orb guardians, enemy positions, and mages themselves CONSTANTLY.

So we only played Nature and War in Domination and while I suspected War would rock(and it does) I was pleased with how well Nature did. I suspect Dark and Holy will also do very well. Arcane funnily enough might lack cause of their slow creatures. Obviously Blue Gremlins will be useful but as good as they are(and I think they're great) they can't really carry the load on their own. Don't play a Force Master unless you REALLY know what you're doing and built for Domination is the consensus we had.

I give Domination an A+ on the first couple of plays. I suspect I'll find it to be the coolest thing since the core set in the long run.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:45:54 PM by silverclawgrizzly »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Domination having now played it.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:10:12 AM »
5. Mobility is also of increased importance. Fast is even more useful, Cervere was my MVP both games easily. Elusive is cool too of course but it's very simple to put Cervere in a position where he can strike several key zones all at once, and there's so much more variety in the "I should go smack that" category for the big cat to choose from. Bear Strength and Lion Savagery are nothing new to Cervere obviously, so in Domination he's threatening orb guardians, enemy positions, and mages themselves CONSTANTLY.

So we only played Nature and War in Domination and while I suspected War would rock(and it does) I was pleased with how well Nature did. I suspect Dark and Holy will also do very well. Arcane funnily enough might lack cause of their slow creatures. Obviously Blue Gremlins will be useful but as good as they are(and I think they're great) they can't really carry the load on their own. Don't play a Force Master unless you REALLY know what you're doing and built for Domination is the consensus we had.

yeah cervere is quite nice, Are you sure about arcane? a gremlin is enough for taking the orbs and you have the wizards tower, if placed well can reach everything and already act in the summoned round, which is a huge advantage over creatures in the fast games

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:04:01 AM »
Thanks for the report!
3. Both matches, and we split then evenly on wins, were determined by V'Tari points. This makes the game go a lot faster.
This is what I've been hoping for the most.

I'm quite eager to give it a try myself.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:53:32 AM »
No fast creatures? That's fine. I don't need ALL the orbs, I just need half of them and a gallaxus. If you're using the wizard, have huginn teleport or push you to each one. You might even want to cheetah speed your Mage. Capture all the nearest orbs and also cast gallaxus as fast as possible to gain a v'tar lead on opponent, and then don't let them catchup. If they try to take one of your orbs, take that opportunity to immediately take it back or turn another orb on. Suppression orb and mordok's obelisk would be wonderful if they manage to summon 3+ creatures, though essence drains will work wonders too.

You can win this way in ~6 rounds (7th round upkeep)

Something that does worry me a bit is how crucial Galaxxus is to rush and buddy domination builds. It seems likely to be an auto include in all of them forever and ever. Which means anything that pays triple for war is unlikely to ever want to include it, so they won't be playing solo or buddy in domination viably anytime soon.

Then again maybe there will be other spells similar to gallaxus in the future that aren't war spells.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:59:12 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:07:12 AM »
Great write up silverclaw! I've been finding that all the books for domination should include galaxxus. Unless you go for a kill the Mage technique. Hiow much armor did you guys cast on your mages? I've been finding most people in domination play little or no armor and defenses! It creates a very squishy Mage situation.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:02:36 AM »
@Mystery I'm sure Arcane can do ok but it's not going to rule the roost so to speak as it does in normal Mage Wars. I think it's more on an even footing.

@jhaelen I was pleasantly surprised at it myself. Hopefully it releases soon.

@Coshade I honestly feel like Galaxxus should have been War Mage only. It makes sense theme wise.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
@Mystery I'm sure Arcane can do ok but it's not going to rule the roost so to speak as it does in normal Mage Wars. I think it's more on an even footing.

@jhaelen I was pleasantly surprised at it myself. Hopefully it releases soon.

@Coshade I honestly feel like Galaxxus should have been War Mage only. It makes sense theme wise.

No fast creatures? That's fine. I don't need ALL the orbs, I just need half of them and a gallaxus. If you're using the wizard, have huginn teleport or push you to each one. You might even want to cheetah speed your Mage. Capture all the nearest orbs and also cast gallaxus as fast as possible to gain a v'tar lead on opponent, and then don't let them catchup. If they try to take one of your orbs, take that opportunity to immediately take it back or turn another orb on. Suppression orb and mordok's obelisk would be wonderful if they manage to summon 3+ creatures, though essence drains will work wonders too.

You can win this way in ~6 rounds (7th round upkeep)

Something that does worry me a bit is how crucial Galaxxus is to rush and buddy domination builds. It seems likely to be an auto include in all of them forever and ever. Which means anything that pays triple for war is unlikely to ever want to include it, so they won't be playing solo or buddy in domination viably anytime soon.

Then again maybe there will be other spells similar to gallaxus in the future that aren't war spells.

Gallaxus, war-Mage only? *shudders*
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
I've been theorycrafting that Grimson and Cervere would be amazing in Domination.

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
I think making Galaxxus War only would be rather unbalancing, considering how powerful the spell is.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer