May 03, 2024, 09:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Asyran Cleric and Ranged +x  (Read 4507 times)

steelstiletto

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Asyran Cleric and Ranged +x
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »
A friend brought up an interesting question today about the Asyran Cleric. He was originally under the impression that "Ranged +x" would give his melee creature range to attack with. When I corrected him and said it added a die to ranged attack rolls, he retargeted the spell to his Cleric. The Cleric's heal is just a ranged attack that heals, so it does get the bonus die, correct?

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Asyran Cleric and Ranged +x
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
Yes. In the example of, say, Hawkeye (Ranged Attacks +1), the Cleric would get an extra "attack" die for his healing ability.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »
Hi guys,  

Actually the Cleric would not get +1 to heal with.  The healing is an ABILITY, not an ATTACK.  Here is an easy way to tell if something counts as an attack or not:

An attack always has the gray metallic bladed "attack bar" behind it.  An ABILITY has a brass bar behind it.  In a few rare cases we may have attacks which do not have the"attack bar", but there is text which specifically says "this counts as an attack".

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=2379
Hi guys,  

Actually the Cleric would not get +1 to heal with.  The healing is an ABILITY, not an ATTACK.  Here is an easy way to tell if something counts as an attack or not:

An attack always has the gray metallic bladed "attack bar" behind it.  An ABILITY has a brass bar behind it.  In a few rare cases we may have attacks which do not have the"attack bar", but there is text which specifically says "this counts as an attack".

Huh...good point. And good to know. Thanks for correcting that ->( Nihil goes to reduce # of Hawkeye in priestess deck).

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
Hi guys,  

It was 3am when I saw this TY for replying.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

steelstiletto

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
Hi guys,  

Thanks for the response! I hadn't noticed the distinction before between attacks and abilities. So, certain things only trigger when attacked or on the first attack, I have a few more questions. The damage barrier effect isn't an attack, so would not increase rage, right?

Melee +X only counts for the first attack in something like doublestrike, triplestrike, and sweep. If I'm sweeping in a zone that has one guarding creature, my first attack has to go to that creature, does that mean my bonus dice have to go to that attack as well?

[strike]What about the card (I don't have it right in front of me to get the name right) Battle Fury that gives another attack. Would this extra attack get the Melee +X dice and the healing from vampiric?[/strike] Just saw this explained in a different thread. Yes, Battle Fury is stupidly awesome powerful and you get all bonuses for both attacks.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
Quote from: "steelstiletto" post=2512
Hi guys,  

Thanks for the response! I hadn't noticed the distinction before between attacks and abilities. So, certain things only trigger when attacked or on the first attack, I have a few more questions. The damage barrier effect isn't an attack, so would not increase rage, right?

Melee +X only counts for the first attack in something like doublestrike, triplestrike, and sweep. If I'm sweeping in a zone that has one guarding creature, my first attack has to go to that creature, does that mean my bonus dice have to go to that attack as well?

[strike]What about the card (I don't have it right in front of me to get the name right) Battle Fury that gives another attack. Would this extra attack get the Melee +X dice and the healing from vampiric?[/strike] Just saw this explained in a different thread. Yes, Battle Fury is stupidly awesome powerful and you get all bonuses for both attacks.

This is what I found. Damage barriers function automatically. Effects, spells, and conditions that modify a creature’s attacks, including Stun, Sleep, Daze, Weak, etc. have no effect on damage barriers. Traits on the defending creature (the creature the damage barrier is attacking) can modify the damage barrier attack with traits such as Aegis 1, or a matching damage type modifier such as Flame +2.. So the Short answer would be nope rage does not apply.

The bonus only applies to the first attack ( during a multi attack) you make regardless if you want to save it or not. So if a guard is in the way move it or use effect to remove the guard marker like Knock Down.

I hope that helps
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage