May 13, 2024, 02:35:13 AM

Author Topic: Akios Hammer  (Read 6988 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Akios Hammer
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
I vaguely remember suggesting using creatures (someone else suggested Goblin Grunts) as crew for siege engines. I didn't consider giving the thing the ability to move (which I think is great, if that's all it can do), but there was a lot of positive feedback on having the creature add a load token. I don't know where that thread is though... it's been a while.

It would be neat to have a War school "cleric" or Tataree-like creature that  as an quick action, could put a token on war machine or mana on a spawn point. But I guess War already has Otto and Goblin Builder, so maybe that would be too many utility creatures (?).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
The card is still useless since it dosen't have indirect. Place a blocked LOS wall infront of it, and it can not fire.
That is the point of allowing a creature to spend a full action moving it. A mage has placed a wall in front of it and the Hammer is now unable to fire down range. Simply move it and now it is back in play.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
The card is still useless since it dosen't have indirect. Place a blocked LOS wall infront of it, and it can not fire.
That is the point of allowing a creature to spend a full action moving it. A mage has placed a wall in front of it and the Hammer is now unable to fire down range. Simply move it and now it is back in play.

That's a difficult thing to balance.

You can't remove all the defensive options from the other player as well, the opponent still needs some room to play aside form "break this thing now"

My only eyebrow raise I get from it is the "corporeal conjuration" forced targeting. Non ethereal attacks get to attempt to hit incorporeal objects in every other scenario in the game..... but whatever.

A fun way to balance Akiro's Hammer would be to play it between zones as if it were a wall.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 10:17:27 PM »
I kinda like the idea of some sort of moving War Machines, because it interacts nicely with the best idea I've heard for Ballista Errata, which is to make it's range 2-2.

EDIT - typoed "had" for "heard". Can't take credit for that one.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:26:17 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.