May 05, 2024, 10:53:12 AM

Author Topic: Basic question about Defense  (Read 3529 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Basic question about Defense
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »
So, we've only been playing for a few months now and after building my first Force Master book I'm pretty sure we've been playing Defense wrong and am hoping for clarification.

For creatures with defense, we took the number of uses to mean that the Ready marker is flipped to the Used side after a successful roll on the D12. But after closer inspection, it would seem that that the defense is used whenever the actual D12 is rolled whether successful or not. Is this accurate?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Basic question about Defense
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:14:40 PM »
Yes, you have a number of attempts at the defense.  Successful or not.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
correct on the latter. the ability is considered used whenever the die is rolled regardless of success. most are one time use per round, while there are a few with the infinity symbol to show unlimited uses.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:33:09 AM »
To use a defense, you need to flip the marker :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:41:29 AM »
Some creatures have a specific number of the fences other than one. Let's say you have a creature that has two defenses. They get two ready markers. The creature with infinite defences doesn't need ready markers to keep track of how many defenses it has left because you know they have infinite number of defenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »
Some creatures have a specific number of the fences other than one. Let's say you have a creature that has two defenses. They get two ready markers. The creature with infinite defences doesn't need ready markers to keep track of how many defenses it has left because you know they have infinite number of defenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would add that some creatures have no defense, those need no ready marker!

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
That's what I gathered after reading more about the Force Master- so this is good news for me. My buddy's favorite creature is the Holy Knight with defense (Can't think of his name) and the way we've played basically gives him unlimited defenses until a successful one. Thank you for the clarification!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »
That's what I gathered after reading more about the Force Master- so this is good news for me. My buddy's favorite creature is the Holy Knight with defense (Can't think of his name) and the way we've played basically gives him unlimited defenses until a successful one. Thank you for the clarification!

Beware the Surging Wave!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 03:01:22 PM »
Yes, surging wave is devastating for defense ability. Surging wave can slam a creature. If the creature is slammed, it is incapacitated. Incapacitated creatures cannot make a defense roll (with a couple of exceptions). Essentially incapacitated is a special case stun condition.

The exceptions relate to autonomous defenses such as dancing scimitar, and perhaps the enchantment defenses (force orb/sword). The dancing scimitar is autonomous which means it can still roll a defense for you if you are incapacitated because it is not affected by the condition. It acts for you. The enchantments I would have to check to be sure if those also count as autonomous or not.  If they are, then they could also be available if the creature enchanted becomes stunned in some way.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
Yes, surging wave is devastating for defense ability. Surging wave can slam a creature. If the creature is slammed, it is incapacitated. Incapacitated creatures cannot make a defense roll (with a couple of exceptions). Essentially incapacitated is a special case stun condition.

The exceptions relate to autonomous defenses such as dancing scimitar, and perhaps the enchantment defenses (force orb/sword). The dancing scimitar is autonomous which means it can still roll a defense for you if you are incapacitated because it is not affected by the condition. It acts for you. The enchantments I would have to check to be sure if those also count as autonomous or not.  If they are, then they could also be available if the creature enchanted becomes stunned in some way.

Correct. [mwcard=MW1E17]Force Orb[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1E18]Force Sword[/mwcard] are also "unaffected by conditions"

One thing that makes [mwcard=FWE05]Forcefield[/mwcard] so amazing is that it just cancels the attack and so it even works on unavoidable stuff (such as [mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]Surging Wave[/mwcard]) that would normally wreck an aggro Forcemaster.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »
The enchantments Force Sword and Force Orb are not technically autonomous, but they do say explicitly on the cards that they are not affected by conditions on the creature, so it works out similarly regardless. Other defenses bestowed by enchantments, like Cobra Reflexes, are still affected by conditions same as if the creature naturally had the defense.