May 18, 2024, 05:30:36 AM

Author Topic: Ichthellids and demons  (Read 20437 times)

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Ichthellids and demons
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:26:16 PM »
 I've been wanting to use [mwcard=DNC05]Ichthellid[/mwcard] for a while now and didn't know how. After searching the forums for a bit, I realized that an Ichthellid based Necromancer is very difficult to pull off and would only work against a swarm  or level 1  creatures spellbook.

So, after thinking about it, I came up with a strategy that just might work: using Ichthellid larvas on my own creatures! Obviously, I need living creatures so Necromancer is out of the question. I would preferably need level 1 or 2 creatures that I can summon every turn, so my guess is: Adramalech Warlock.

Here is the idea: summon one or two Ichthellids and a few cheap demons (mainly [mwcard=MW1C15]Firebrand Imp[/mwcard], [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC13]Wildfire Imp[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC08]Infernian Scourger[/mwcard] as of this print), attack and impregnate my own demons, send them to attack the enemy, beefing them by burning the opponent and sacrificing the Ichthellid with [mwcard=MW1J20]Sacrificial Altar[/mwcard]. They won't stay alive more than one turn, but it's part of the plan. Once they die, they respawn for free into an Ichthellid. At this point, I'm gaining an advantage: the newly hatched Ichthellid will come back right where the previous demon was destroyed, in range to hit right away next turn.

If that works, I basically found a way to extend my Imps' life, and I'm constantly keeping the same number of creatures in play without paying their mana cost.

That's my strategy: is it doable? Am I being too optimistic? I have all expansions, what would be the best cards to use for this spellbook? What would be the problems I can encounter?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Ichthellids and demons
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »
Instead of going through all those shenanigans to get a "free" [mwcard=DNC05]Ichthellid[/mwcard] to replace the one you sacrificed AND the imp you impregnated... why not just attack with the first Ichthelid and call it a day? In other words, I don't see how you're coming out "ahead" after casting Sacrificial Altar and an Ichthelid and an imp just so you can eventually get one Ichthellid (total) later.

After already seeing this thread, I'm starting to think you just really want to attack your own creatures.  Might as well just cast [mwcard=FWI05]Mass Sleep[/mwcard] on your swarm for another excuse.  LOL.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:05:15 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
Ichthellid is non-living and so the egg cannot be transferred to it.  Also, I think Icthellids are too expensive for so little health to build a book around no matter whose creatures you're trying to hit.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »
Yes, and there is another problem with them. You goal is to beat the other mage, but the larvae only work with non-mage creatures. Not a good synergy.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »
Unlike the vampirism-vs-friendlies tactic (which I generally feel is a bad idea except for extremely niche scenarios), I can see potential with this idea.

The main problem with Icthellids is that to get full use out of their ability, you have to kill enemy creatures, when you would rather be attacking the enemy mage.

With this strategy, you can prime your own creatures to get free Ichthellids if they die, which makes some sense.

Unfortunately, Ichthellids are weak, and the creature whose corpse gives birth to one is likely at least as powerful as the Ichthellid, if not more so. I would generally do this with Level 2 creatures to avoid accidentally killing the creature you are trying to Ichthellidize (which is now a word). Attacking your own creatures is still a bad idea, since you are weakening your offense.

Not sure if demons are the best bet here. What about goblins? Goblin Bombers could be an interesting use of this tactic.

This could be a way to get Icthellid in use, but I am not sure if even this will be enough. It is still somewhat inefficient, and you would need to respawn a lot of Ichthellids to make it worth your while.

Yes, and there is another problem with them. You goal is to beat the other mage, but the larvae only work with non-mage creatures. Not a good synergy.

Actually, you can totally impregnate the enemy mage. This is relevant because of the Necromancer's Plague Master ability; those undead larvae are easy to plant (no d12 needed), and cost 5 mana to remove!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »
One of the two games I played at BGGCon was agaist a Necro who used his Ichthellids as cheap guards for him, as all of his zombies had the pest trait. This redirected the attack to the spider and he got to counterstrike and place an egg, it was quite effective and bought him enough time to move all of his crawlers in for frenzy, which I saw coming and conceded the game.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »
One of the two games I played at BGGCon was agaist a Necro who used his Ichthellids as cheap guards for him, as all of his zombies had the pest trait. This redirected the attack to the spider and he got to counterstrike and place an egg, it was quite effective and bought him enough time to move all of his crawlers in for frenzy, which I saw coming and conceded the game.

I want to do this now.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »
I've been wanting to use [mwcard=DNC05]Ichthellid[/mwcard] for a while now and didn't know how. After searching the forums for a bit, I realized that an Ichthellid based Necromancer is very difficult to pull off and would only work against a swarm  or level 1  creatures spellbook.

So, after thinking about it, I came up with a strategy that just might work: using Ichthellid larvas on my own creatures! Obviously, I need living creatures so Necromancer is out of the question. I would preferably need level 1 or 2 creatures that I can summon every turn, so my guess is: Adramalech Warlock.

Here is the idea: summon one or two Ichthellids and a few cheap demons (mainly [mwcard=MW1C15]Firebrand Imp[/mwcard], [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC13]Wildfire Imp[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC08]Infernian Scourger[/mwcard] as of this print), attack and impregnate my own demons, send them to attack the enemy, beefing them by burning the opponent and sacrificing the Ichthellid with [mwcard=MW1J20]Sacrificial Altar[/mwcard]. They won't stay alive more than one turn, but it's part of the plan. Once they die, they respawn for free into an Ichthellid. At this point, I'm gaining an advantage: the newly hatched Ichthellid will come back right where the previous demon was destroyed, in range to hit right away next turn.

If that works, I basically found a way to extend my Imps' life, and I'm constantly keeping the same number of creatures in play without paying their mana cost.

That's my strategy: is it doable? Am I being too optimistic? I have all expansions, what would be the best cards to use for this spellbook? What would be the problems I can encounter?

@rodriguekhalil (Does tagging even work in the forums?) This tactic can work! I've actually made a deck that I want to showcase on Arcane Duels. Here's how my version works:

Turn 1: Ravenous Ghoul, mana crystal
Turn 2: Ichthilid, face down enchantment of choice
Turn 3: Acolyte of the bog queen, Sacrificial alter; Attack your Aco with the Ichthilid,Sacrifice the Aco, Eat the remains with the Ghoul. l
Turn 4 and Up: Lather, Rinse, Repeat

I've tried to use spawn points but they're too slow, So this method only works well if you stand still. I chose Aco because she's the cheapest creature that will always survive against the Ichthilid's attack. You get a creature that is more powerful than a level one but typically weaker than a level 2.  At the same time you get a ghoul that becomes very powerful. If your opponent goes aggressive at any point you drop the evolution trick and prepare for war.

During the mid-game use the ichthilid that still has an egg on it to attack a choice enemy creature and blast it with everything you have. This gives you some battlefield control and brings one more Icth. out to play. Then repeatedly kill off any of the spiders that are injured with your alter and return the ones from your graveyard with the eggs. An Ichthilid gives +2 melee and Piercing +2 when destroyed with the alter so it's pretty effective.

That's the overall idea. Although it's vulnerable to aggression it's actually very mana efficient. If the opponent comes close you'll have a ghoul turn one that can lay some pressure on them. This is the build so far.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »

Wow, that's actually very close to what I'm thinking, but the combo with ravenous ghoul makes it even better!

And I thought it was an original idea... Oh well, anyways, I've got my necromancer idea for my next game!

After already seeing this thread, I'm starting to think you just really want to attack your own creatures.  Might as well just cast [mwcard=FWI05]Mass Sleep[/mwcard] on your swarm for another excuse.  LOL.

LOL! It looks like I want to kill my own creatures, right?
Actually, I was thinking about friendly attacks because I know they can be very useful in other games (summoner wars or smash up, for instance). So I'm trying to see if they can be more useful in Mage Wars than waking up creatures. It can definitely surprise the opponent at the very least.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 08:22:21 PM »
Hey, it's pretty original. Especially because no one seems to agree with the idea lol. Keep at it, let me know how it goes!

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57:06 PM »
@rodriguekhalil (Does tagging even work in the forums?) This tactic can work! I've actually made a deck that I want to showcase on Arcane Duels. Here's how my version works:

Turn 1: Ravenous Ghoul, mana crystal
Turn 2: Ichthilid, face down enchantment of choice
Turn 3: Acolyte of the bog queen, Sacrificial alter; Attack your Aco with the Ichthilid,Sacrifice the Aco, Eat the remains with the Ghoul. l
Turn 4 and Up: Lather, Rinse, Repeat

I've tried to use spawn points but they're too slow, So this method only works well if you stand still. I chose Aco because she's the cheapest creature that will always survive against the Ichthilid's attack. You get a creature that is more powerful than a level one but typically weaker than a level 2.  At the same time you get a ghoul that becomes very powerful. If your opponent goes aggressive at any point you drop the evolution trick and prepare for war.

During the mid-game use the ichthilid that still has an egg on it to attack a choice enemy creature and blast it with everything you have. This gives you some battlefield control and brings one more Icth. out to play. Then repeatedly kill off any of the spiders that are injured with your alter and return the ones from your graveyard with the eggs. An Ichthilid gives +2 melee and Piercing +2 when destroyed with the alter so it's pretty effective.

That's the overall idea. Although it's vulnerable to aggression it's actually very mana efficient. If the opponent comes close you'll have a ghoul turn one that can lay some pressure on them. This is the build so far.

Wow. That is really cool. Let me see if I can figure out the total creature costs (ignoring other spells):

Turn 1: Ghoul (13)
Turn 2: Ichthellid (9)
Turn 3: Acolyte (5) -> Ichthellid (0)
Turn 4: Acolyte (5) -> Ichthellid (0)
Turn 5: Acolyte (5) -> Ichthellid (0)

So by turn 6, you have 4 Ichthellids and a ghoul with a monstrous 7 dice quick attack (on a fast chassis!) for a total of 37 mana (out of a total of 70 channeled).

At this point, the Ghoul is stronger (overall) than a Grizzly, but we'll conservatively put his value at 17, since he is at least as strong.

That means each Ichthellid has cost you at most 5 mana and a full action, on average. Not bad at all.

If your opponent charges, I suppose the other Ichthellids can attack them using the sacrifical altar bonus.

If nothing else, this is a great way to spawn cheap Ichthellids while powering up a monstrous ghoul.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »
Ichthelids are very bad agro creatures. As others have noted, agro wants to hit the opponent, not the opponent's creatures.

Control, on the other hand, can make very good use of Icthelid. Graveyard + Meditation Amulet + lots of Undead Bugs is very efficient at grinding the board to a halt and generating a large mana surplus. It'd be my go to "casual tournament" list if it wasn't so reliant on my opponent bringing living creatures, and if the book had a better finisher than Sardonyx + Drain Soul.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
Wow. That is really cool. Let me see if I can figure out the total creature costs (ignoring other spells):

Turn 1: Ghoul (13)
Turn 2: Ichthellid (9)
Turn 3: Acolyte (5) -> Ichthellid (0)
Turn 4: Acolyte (5) -> Ichthellid (0)
Turn 5: Acolyte (5) -> Ichthellid (0)

So by turn 6, you have 4 Ichthellids and a ghoul with a monstrous 7 dice quick attack (on a fast chassis!) for a total of 37 mana (out of a total of 70 channeled).

I actually count the Acos as costing six since it costs 1 mana to transfer the egg. What I like most about this book is that it's relatively efficient while being a themed deck at the same time. Summoning cultists so they can be sacrificed to zombie bugs and eaten by a ghoul is just so Lovecraftian.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »
Couldn't it be possible to use the clerics even more efficient  if you also let them pray by an altar (let's say altar of skulls) each turn before the combo?

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 02:46:15 PM »
Couldn't it be possible to use the clerics even more efficient  if you also let them pray by an altar (let's say altar of skulls) each turn before the combo?

That would require delaying the combo. The clerics can't pray on the same turn they are brought into play, but they can be impregnated, sacrificed, and eaten on that turn.