May 17, 2024, 03:27:41 PM

Author Topic: Set Legality for Gencon 2015  (Read 3451 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Set Legality for Gencon 2015
« on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
Greetings potential Gencon competitors! I know there had been some confusion about what cards would be legal for the Gencon tournament this year. Any card printed in a set that has had a legal release approximately one month before an event is legal in that event, unless the event makes specific stipulations on the sets being used.

So, what does that mean in normal speak? A Mage Wars set will need to have been available for sale through regular retail stores to be considered released, and this will need to have happened a month before the event in question.

What does this mean for Gencon 2015? Well, unfortunately this means that Battlegrounds: Domination will not be legal for use in that event. While we were writing promo articles and leading up to the prerelease at Origins, things were looking great. Everything was proceeding according to plan. And that would have put Battlegrounds: Domination out to retail at the beginning of July. Sadly, there were issues in production that have delayed the project, and so it will not have a general release before then.

Why is that important? Mage Wars has never been a game about chasing down scarce content so that you can have an advantage over your opponent. We didn't want players who'd had no chance other than at conventions to have to chase down a copy of Battlegrounds: Domination. Because we wanted the fairest playing field for our players, we decided not to allow Battlegrounds: Domination.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what fresh perspective and spellbooks you'll all bring to Gencon this year. Thank you all for your support. If you have any questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Set Legality for Gencon 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
Is there a street date, or has the street date become GenCon?

Will Battlegrounds Domination be available at GenCon?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
Yes, there will be a limited number of Battlegrounds: Domination at Gencon.

Mr. Green

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

Any Idea how many? any other details? For sale at the booth? first come first serve? limited one per person?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »

Any Idea how many? any other details? For sale at the booth? first come first serve? limited one per person?

Sadly, I do not know how many. Yes they will be for sale at the booth. Yes they are first come first served. And, without knowing how many we have I don't know if they'll be limited at all. I will let you all know if I find out anything has changed.