May 05, 2024, 01:10:53 PM

Author Topic: Warlock Swarm Deck  (Read 66874 times)

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Warlock Swarm Deck
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
im trying to work on a warlock swarm deck.  and ive been having problems and im not sure why.  its probibly something im doing wrong in how im playing it but any suggestions would be welcome.

the deck consists of basicly the pentagram, gate to hell, all the demon creatures for the warlock (also thinking of including the bats) and the standard warlock curses and defences and such.  also enough equipment to do a warlock beatdown if i need too (like against a priestess)

so i generally start off with a pentagram, and i start throwing demons out, i throw up walls of fire to slow down my opponent.  but i never seem to get the gate out, the game usually degenerates into throwing curses to save my life, or throwing on equipment and doing beatdown.  also to save my life lol.

so any ideas what im doing wrong?   the one game i won was against the priestess when i rushed her.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Tllmdjd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock Swarm Deck
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
I haven't tried this tactic, but my initial thought is that throwing a pentagram out early may not be your best move.

For one thing, it's terribly expensive, especially for a Mage who generates less mana than other mages.  For another, it works best when you a already have creatures on the board to enhance its mana generation.

I might consider some low cost creatures and a lash in the early turns.  This will allow you to save up a bit of mana (the idea being that you will use your warlock as a melee creature early on).  Then cast your pentagram and perhaps another small creature to help pump up your pentagram.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »
Yeah, in my experience if you're doing a swarm - you shouldn't ever stop to put up defenses like walls of fire. You should just be throwing out creature after creature. For instance, my Beastmaster swarm is something like Bitterwood Fox + Mana Flower for like three turns.

The enemy needs to deal with a creature in their face right now, or it isn't a swarm.

I would think about something like Firebrand Imp + Mana Crystal for a few turns. Or even better - run at them casting attack spells and then summon a demon in their zone.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
the goal is really to use the gate to hell effectively.  my beastmaster swarm uses lair harmonize on turn one and does very well.

i was planning on casting a creature a turn, then running through the fire walls  (fire immunity) with an army.  casting the gate to hell to give all my demons +1 melee then when the gate gets swarmed to kill it, i open it up and unleash the attack it generates.  (which i am also immune too)  

in the game i ran, even with the walls of fire, i was casting a creature every turn and they were dying just as fast.  thats why i wanted to try and build up a few and then rush at once.

as for the equipment, i try not to cast equipment unless i have a use for it almost imediately.  like i useually dont cast lash until im about to attack.  unless i have a battle forge out.  but not sure i want the pentagram and the forge out.

maybe if i do mana crystal X2 on turn one, then pentagram harmonize on turn 2?  summon 2 creatures a turn X2 then gate and rush?  but then thats a 5 turn setup.

sorry guys just thinking out loud.  thanks for all the input if anyone has any more suggestions id love to hear them.

have any playters used gate to hell effectively?  am i doing something wrong or are there more cards needed to make it worth while?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »
There will be a few cards to help with this tactic with in the next few sets. It is good to see you looking at the game from so many different angels.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
lol i try.  i always try to come up with unique ideas in games like magic, it throws people off.  i saw the gate to hell and im like thats a very cool concept, i really want to use that.  so far it hasnt been working too well.  although i have won a couple games.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »
I just don't see the Warlock being the best mage to use for a swarm deck.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:57:35 PM »
There will be a few cards to help with this tactic with in the next few sets. It is good to see you looking at the game from so many different angels.

Odd typo or mischievous hint...  Hmm...

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:37:16 AM »
But how would those angels help a warlock swarm?  ;D

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »
I imagine they'd be fallen angels.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

lettucemode

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
Hell's Angels?

Also, how does this thread have over 38k views?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Hell's Angels?

Also, how does this thread have over 38k views?

They're wacthing us... du du dummmmmmmmm!

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »
if you have Druid v Necromancer, Zombie Crawlers and Skeletal minions are cheap and might be worth considering for a swarm. I also like the ravenous ghoul because he is fast and hits hard. (I havent actually played with any of them yet.)