May 03, 2024, 09:10:04 AM

Author Topic: Skeletal Necromancer vs Air Wizard  (Read 4353 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Skeletal Necromancer vs Air Wizard
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
Had a match the other day of a Skeletal Necro vs an Air Wizard. The two books are below, and the details of how the match went down are >>>here<<< on my Mage Wars blog.

Please let me know what you think of the books, how the match went down, and if you like this sort of write up of the match. Next time I'm going to try to include pictures after each round so it's easier to understand the positioning of everything.

Let us know what you think, and don't forget to subscribe to the blog while you're over there!

*Note: the Air Wizard is missing a few spells. When I find out what they are, I'll update the spellbook.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Necro[/spellbookname]
[mage]Necromancer[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]2 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j11]1 x  Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]2 x  Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j18]1 x  Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c32]1 x  Skeletal Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC13]2 x  Skeletal Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC04]2 x  Grey Wraith[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC14]2 x  Skeletal Knight[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC15]2 x  Skeletal Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC02]3 x  Deathfang[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC07]1 x  Mort[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]2 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]1 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]1 x  Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]1 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e08]1 x  Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]2 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q05]1 x  Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ02]1 x  Death Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ05]1 x  Libro Mortuos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNI05]1 x  Unholy Resurgence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI03]2 x  Reassemble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i08]1 x  Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Air[/spellbookname]
[mage]Wizard (Air)[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA01]2 x  Arc Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a03]1 x  Electrify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j12]2 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]1 x  Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]2 x  Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j21]1 x  Suppression Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j14]1 x  Mana Siphon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j16]1 x  Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC01]1 x  Bridge Troll[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c40]1 x  Whirling Spirit[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]2 x  Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c09]1 x  Darkfenne Hydra[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e04]1 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e06]1 x  Circle of Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE02]1 x  Divine Might[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]1 x  Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e15]2 x  Essence Drain[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]1 x  Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e30]2 x  Pacify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]1 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q01]1 x  Arcane Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ05]1 x  Dispel Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x  Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q17]1 x  Lightning Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x  Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q31]1 x  Staff of the Arcanum[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q32]1 x  Suppression Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i21]1 x  Purge Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i01]1 x  Banish[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 115 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletal Necromancer vs Air Wizard
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:35:04 AM »
Appreciate the write up of the game.  I love session recaps.  Was this in person or through OCTGN?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »
Appreciate the write up of the game.  I love session recaps.  Was this in person or through OCTGN?

This was in person with my good friend Death-from-above. We wrote down what we were casting every turn so I could do the write up. I also tried to write down what I was thinking at certain points of the match so that people could get a better idea of what was going on rather than just "QC: Death Ring, FC: Deathfang". While that tells you what each Mage played, it doesn't really give much insight into the strategies involved and what each player is thinking.

Like I said though, I'm gonna try to take pictures after each round next time so I can give an even better idea of what was going on. I wanted to actually record a video of the match but unfortunately I don't have very good video equipment so that wasn't going to work very well.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

lettucemode

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »
Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

For the question about Armor Ward and Nullify revealing at the same time, I believe the person with initiative would decide which of those effects would trigger first (after your friend made the decision to reveal the Armor Ward).

What kich said.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:35:24 PM by lettucemode »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
I'll research this after work, but off the top of my head, the Nullify's red reveal triggers in step 2 regardless of Armor Ward, and you can't pay the 4 mana until step 3, so there's no way to be surprised by the Nullify after paying the Armor Ward.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »
I'll research this after work, but off the top of my head, the Nullify's red reveal triggers in step 2 regardless of Armor Ward, and you can't pay the 4 mana until step 3, so there's no way to be surprised by the Nullify after paying the Armor Ward.

correct

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
Love your blog and love these write ups. Moar please.

*Not being a dick*: This game practically ended on turn 6 but was won by turn 3. Your opponent got insanely greedy, and mixed up the order of operations by casting Arcane Ring after Crystal, costing him one mana. I would have opened Ring > Crystal/Forge, and after seeing Libro, at most Moonglow > Harmonize/Crystal/Forge turn 2. And that's it. Turn 3 would've seen a Gargoyle hit the board and a Wiz Tower/Obelisk with Wizard guarding with SCloak/Drake Armor. He had two threats the entire game (!!!) and they were six turns apart. The rest of the time was spent durdling and playing passively to what you were doing. Obviously was his first rodeo. I'm confident he'll adapt.

I'm confused why Bridge Troll is in his build instead of Gorgon/Basilisk. Troll does nothing to lock the board which is not where I want to invest six spell points if I'm going control. Also, he could really benefit from more lighting, and thus, more  stuns which work on the same principle above. Teleport traps might also be something to consider. Your friend is spot-on thinking walls.

On your end, you had the right strategy, optimal spawn (Libro > Graveyard for combating control shells), and made the right decision not to race on income. The only flaw in your play, given the comp, was harmonizing Libro. Not a fan. Never do this. You're practically handing your enemy four mana to Dissolve. Which you did. The only other instance of currently profitable hard removal I can think of is Teleport on Tangle(Strangle)vine/Quicksand. No bueno.

My $0.02. Good stuff.

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:49:22 AM »
Yeah, the air wizard in that game was me. That was my first try at a mana denial spell book an suffice for say, I did not execute properly. I was trying to get out all the mana denial stuff as quickly as possible but couldn't get it to happen and as a few of you have mentioned, I should have at least summoned a gargoyles or 2 for defense. I was just so focused on waiting for him to get out a bunch of creatures before I did any mana denial; it was too late by then.

Zuberi suggested I put walls in before the match and I completely forgot to do that. My conjurations would have lasted longer. The reason I didn't have a Gorgan in there was because I at least knew he was running a necro deck beforehand a knew weak wasn't going to amount to anything.

In the future, more walls, earlier creature summon and not spend so much time try to boost my mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »
Love your blog and love these write ups. Moar please.

*Not being a dick*: This game practically ended on turn 6 but was won by turn 3. Your opponent got insanely greedy, and mixed up the order of operations by casting Arcane Ring after Crystal, costing him one mana. I would have opened Ring > Crystal/Forge, and after seeing Libro, at most Moonglow > Harmonize/Crystal/Forge turn 2. And that's it. Turn 3 would've seen a Gargoyle hit the board and a Wiz Tower/Obelisk with Wizard guarding with SCloak/Drake Armor. He had two threats the entire game (!!!) and they were six turns apart. The rest of the time was spent durdling and playing passively to what you were doing. Obviously was his first rodeo. I'm confident he'll adapt.

I'm confused why Bridge Troll is in his build instead of Gorgon/Basilisk. Troll does nothing to lock the board which is not where I want to invest six spell points if I'm going control. Also, he could really benefit from more lighting, and thus, more  stuns which work on the same principle above. Teleport traps might also be something to consider. Your friend is spot-on thinking walls.

On your end, you had the right strategy, optimal spawn (Libro > Graveyard for combating control shells), and made the right decision not to race on income. The only flaw in your play, given the comp, was harmonizing Libro. Not a fan. Never do this. You're practically handing your enemy four mana to Dissolve. Which you did. The only other instance of currently profitable hard removal I can think of is Teleport on Tangle(Strangle)vine/Quicksand. No bueno.

My $0.02. Good stuff.

Thanks for the support and I appreciate the love! I agree with everything you said. As mentioned above, this was Death's first time playing a mana denial type book, and if I remember correctly, one of the few times he has played with the Wizard at all. Obviously he did some things that were mistakes but the important thing is that he recognized those mistakes and learned from them. I always say you learn more from losing than winning, and he's a smart guy, so he'll adapt and grow from this.

All things considered, with this being his first time with a mana denial Wizard book, and going up against my Necro book that I built very carefully, he probably didn't have much of a chance. Without the walls anyway. I think he also learned that he needs those Gargoyles in there. They're fantastic guards and he could fit 2 of them in there instead of the one bridge troll.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the reason the Troll was in there is A) The regenerate 3. I didn't even bother trying to kill it, and probably never would, because of that trait. This actually makes it kinda even more useless because it is only 1 creature, and I'm going to work around it instead of attacking it. It could guard, but with all my creatures out, that would have only delayed the inevitable. Another reason 2 gargoyles for the spellbook point price of the 1 Bridge Troll would be better. B) I believe it is one of his favorite creatures. He likes trying to include it in most of his books where it's viable. So I wasn't really surprised when it came out.

I completely agree with the Harmonize advice as well. I'm not actually sure why I put it on Libro... lol. I play the Necro enough to know that Harmonizing Libro is a terrible idea, haha.