May 19, 2024, 08:44:12 AM

Author Topic: I just played a proper Mage Wars match on-line versus a real opponent  (Read 22504 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile

I just played an on line match of Mage Wars. I had a basic Priestess vs a nice bloke with a basic Beastmaster.

It all worked beautifully.

Let me just say that again...

I JUST PLAYED AN ON LINE MATCH OF MAGE WARS!    ;D

Whay hey!

Check out OCTGN, the virtual tabletop system for card games.

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
It would be great to have an active online community like android netrunner has on OCTGN. They even have tournaments from time to time and it helps to promote the game. I guess its good if the fans can play your game even when their real time friends are busy. However it is a topic Arcane Wonders will have to think about, if they want to let it or not. I guess its a good promotion for the game, but I can see the problems aswell. With FFG games it works the was that you can only publish uncensored cards after 6 months. In the meantime owners of the game can scan their cards and update their version's card database. This way they have the uncensored cards.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
I would put $100 in a kick starter for this, imagine every box of mage wars you buy comes with a unique code to unlock those cards for you. there could also be 2 free weekly mage decks (pre built) that are free to play that cycle through.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Definitely that would rock.  I actually just got done playing Magic the Gathering Online.  I would pay money for Mage Wars Online.  The MWO community would rock! 

The cards are all the same (no one has those rare/expensive cards like in MTGO) so it would almost be simpler to implement a server for that.

Definitely hope to see MWO in the future, would be a great revenue source for the Arcane Wonders team and really bring players together from all over the world.  Would love to get in those chat rooms and chat play strategy and such while playing a live game.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
it is profitable to build a player base by giving free trial weekly mages online. and then directing players to the online store. AW should look at there own numbers when they see how many people buy the game after they have played it
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Cosworth

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile

I just played an on line match of Mage Wars. I had a basic Priestess vs a nice bloke with a basic Beastmaster.

It all worked beautifully.

Glad you liked it Fentum. Hope we can get a game in as well during next week. Any suggestions for improvements are also welcome.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile

One immediate thought was to stop the cards rotating when placed in the top half of the board. Have all cards 'face' their owner in the split table set up. But orientate right way up always when hovered over and expanded.

Cosworth

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile

One immediate thought was to stop the cards rotating when placed in the top half of the board. Have all cards 'face' their owner in the split table set up. But orientate right way up always when hovered over and expanded.
I would suggest to play without the 2-sided table option. That way all cards look right for both players.
I'll put that in the instructions.

Björn Stornämd

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
2 questions.

Does the players have to keep track of all the mana, hit points etc themselves or does the client help with those things?

Does it take long to play a game on the client compared to RL?

Cosworth

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
2 questions.

Does the players have to keep track of all the mana, hit points etc themselves or does the client help with those things?

Does it take long to play a game on the client compared to RL?
Phases initiative to Channeling are automated. The rest is not. It does help you to keep track of stuff though.
Apart from the effort involved in automating every possible discount and effect to spell casting I'm not sure that is even wanted as it transforms the game into something else than a board game.

As for the time involved it should be comparable after the first one or two games or so, but more experience is needed.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: I just played a proper Mage Wars match on-line versus a real opponent
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »

My feel is that it is mostly a manual exercise, as if the boardgame 'bits' are on screen, and you move them around as you would in the flesh. I prefer it that way, as each step is easy to follow, just like the actual boardgame.

Trotsky

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »
I have a game against another new player planned for tonight. I have played a couple of solo games and one last night with my wife (her Priestess deck trounced my Warlord!) Played a little with the program today at work and seems pretty intuitive.

Pretty excited about this development - there is a dearth of local players - would be great to see some online tournaments develop - will be great way to hone my skills for real face to face gaming events which are likely to be few and far between...

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I have a game against another new player planned for tonight. I have played a couple of solo games and one last night with my wife (her Priestess deck trounced my Warlord!) Played a little with the program today at work and seems pretty intuitive.

Pretty excited about this development - there is a dearth of local players - would be great to see some online tournaments develop - will be great way to hone my skills for real face to face gaming events which are likely to be few and far between...

Pretty excited aswell, if Arcane Wonders doesn't mind we could make a topic for finding online opponents, so we could form a little active community, so we can play even when our real life friends are busy.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »

Sounds like a plan!

Trotsky

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
Played last night against a another new player - program worked really well. I took the standard Warlock and my opponent the Beastmaster - we treated it as a training game - it sure was fun.