May 03, 2024, 05:18:46 AM

Author Topic: Question about Mana Flower and Wall of Fire  (Read 4029 times)

beigemore

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Question about Mana Flower and Wall of Fire
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
Just played my first game of this yesterday with my brother and enjoyed it.  There were a couple things we weren't sure about, though, and I had a hard time finding the answers in the rule book.

1) When I place a Mana Flower in a zone, does the regenerate+2 bonus it grants only apply to me and my creatures while in that zone, or does it also apply to the other mage's creatures when they enter that zone as well?

2) If I place a Wall of Fire, are my creatures and I immune to the fire damage since it is my spell, allowing us to pass through it without taking damage?

I played the Beastermaster and my brother played the Warlock, kind of based on the walk through in the rule book.  He stomped me after several rounds because of his flame whip thing and he also used several flying creatures, which I, from what I could tell, had very few ways to counter using the suggested starting spell book.

Looking forward to getting some more games in and getting some expansions!  Also, I would absolutely love to be able to get a second copy of the codex thing in the expansions, as well.  I think the game would go a lot smoother with newer players since they'll both be able to look up what things mean at the same time rather than constantly passing the rule book back and forth.

Darkfox101

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Mana Flower and Wall of Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
1.) The regenerate 2 on the mana flower applies only to the mana flower.

If you'd like some zone wide healing without having to cast a healing spell, try adding Mohktari, Great Tree of Life ( which grants Regenerate 2 to all friendly living creatures in the zone) or Highland Unicorn (which grants Regenerate 1 to all friendly living creatures in the zone).  The unicorn even counts as an animal and could be summoned from the Lair.

2.) Fire walls affects all creatures equally.  If you would like to send creatures through, try using some flame immune creatures like the Firebrand Imp or Flaming Hellion.  You could also add equipment such as Elemental Cloak and Dragonscale Hauberk to lessen the damage you would take from the wall... and any flame attacks sent your way.
”Do you feel your life’s blood turning to poison,
ravaging you? Perhaps if you are quick, you may
drain enough of it to live? No, perhaps not.”
— Tellas Vane, Warlock

beigemore

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
Great, thanks for the quick response!

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 01:12:19 AM »
to your third point, playing the wizard (me) vs. the protectress (my bro) I also initially felt like my deck lacked a lot of options for dealing with flying creatures, especially the legendary angel that's unphased by lightening.  Just remember two things.  First, there are plenty of ways to deal with those creatures using things like enchantments and incantations.  You can render the flyers worthless or lock them in place with some spells.  I doubt the warlock can remove that stuff as easy and the protectress.  2nd, I found myself being much more concerned about the flyers than I should have.  Get a few points of armor on your mage and he ends up being much beefier than other creatures in the game.  I'm not saying you can ignore them all game, but if your strategy is in play, then don't sweat a round or two of damage, especially with some nice heals in your pocket.  

Also, as the beastmaster, can't you pump your cheap birds with some enchantments to go after his flyers?