May 03, 2024, 08:46:27 AM

Author Topic: Sectarus VS Nullify  (Read 10099 times)

alyss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sectarus VS Nullify
« on: June 22, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »
Hallo!  :D
I'm here for some clarification of rules regarding Sectarus casting spells on a target with Nullify or Reverse Magic.

Does Sectarus's curse spells negate Nullify's and Reverse Magic's effects?
If yes, I can understand that Reverse Magic cannot redirect Sectarus's spell because Sectarus is not a valid target, but what about Nullify? And, does Reverse Magic still get to counter it?

I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so if this question has been answered before, I'm sorry.  :-[

lukard

Re: Sectarus VS Nullify
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
I'm here for some clarification of rules regarding Sectarus casting spells on a target with Nullify or Reverse Magic.

If yes, I can understand that Reverse Magic cannot redirect Sectarus's spell because Sectarus is not a valid target, but what about Nullify? And, does Reverse Magic still get to counter it?

I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so if this question has been answered before, I'm sorry.  :-[

In my opinion, Nullify would be resolved normally.

Reverse Magic is a little trick because [mwcard=FWQ09] Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] may not be a valid target.

From the FAQ:
   "A spell fails and is canceled, if either of the following occur before the Resolve Spell Step:
      1. The target of the spell is no longer a legal target, or..."

In my understanding, when you reveal Reverse Magic, you are the new controller of that spell, if that spell hasn't a legal target; then, it is cancelled.

Currently, as far as I know, there are no Enchantments that target Equipment. Therefore, any Enchantment cast by Sectarus would be cancelled with Reverse Magic.

Cheers

EDIT: Grammar correction
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:18:11 PM by lukard »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »

In my opinion, Nullify would be resolved normally.

Reverse Magic is a little trick because [mwcard=FWQ09] Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] may not be a valid target.

From the FAQ:
   "A spell fails and is canceled, if either of the following occur before the Resolve Spell Step:
      1. The target of the spell is no longer a legal target, or..."

In my understanding, when you reveal Reverse Magic, you are the new controller of that spell, if that spell is not a legal target; then, it is cancelled.

Currently, as far as I know, there are no Enchantments that target Equipment. Therefore, any Enchantment cast by Sectarus would be cancelled with Reverse Magic.

Cheers

[mwcard=MW1E20] Harmonize[/mwcard] can if the equipment has channeling. (For example [mwcard=DNQ05] Libro Mortuos[/mwcard] or [mwcard=FWQ09] Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] )

and also [mwcard=MW1E10] Decoy[/mwcard]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:08:40 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

lukard

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
Good point! These enchantments have "Object" as target, therefore can target equipments.

alyss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
So, if I understand correctly, Nullify works as per normal, while Reverse Magic merely nullifies the curse from Sectarus.

Thank you =D!

lukard

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
So, if I understand correctly, Nullify works as per normal, while Reverse Magic merely nullifies the curse from Sectarus.

Thank you =D!

Correct.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
Lets break down Nullify & Reverse Magic

[mwcard=MW1E29] Nullify[/mwcard] -
Even though [mwcard=FWQ09] Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] is the object casting the spell it is still controlled by the opponent.
Nullify must get turned face up and if the owner of Nullify paid and the enchantment would get countered.

[mwcard=MW1E35] Reverse Magic[/mwcard] -
Even though [mwcard=FWQ09] Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard] is the object casting the spell it is still controlled by the opponent.
Reverse Magic must get turned face up and if the owner of RM paid the enchantment would get then be controlled by the owner of RM if that curse does not affect equipment then the enchantment would be countered.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:22:17 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »

Nullify must get turned face up and if the owner of Nullify paid and the enchantment would get countered.
I thought that the "targeted by" would be the key here not that it is still controlled by the opponent.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »

I thought that the "targeted by" would be the key here not that it is still controlled by the opponent.

Let me double check the FAQ for def of control.I was reading control as ownership of the spell it may not be that way anymore.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:22:58 PM by Shad0w »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
Owner:
The owner of a spell is the player who started with that spell in his
spellbook at the beginning of the game.

Controller:

Each spell or object in the game is controlled by the player who cast it. The controller may use and act with that object, and makes all decisions and choices for that spell or any abilities that object may have.

Exception: Equipment is controlled by the Mage it is attached to.

Familiars:
The  Familiar  is  treated  as  the  spell  caster  for  all purposes, such as range, etc. You control all spells your Familiar casts.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:21:07 PM by Shad0w »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 01:25:10 PM »
Layered together like that and you have a very nice symphony of rules.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »
Layered together like that and you have a very nice symphony of rules.....

But it does explain this interaction. Sec is the caster but the mage using Sec to cast is the controller of the spell.