May 03, 2024, 04:29:55 AM

Author Topic: How many copy of the game I need to play with a friend ?  (Read 6231 times)

cruncher20

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How many copy of the game I need to play with a friend ?
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »
Hi everyone, I understand that the game is a two players game and it comes with 4 characters.  It says that everybody have access to the same card but what happens if I use a card for one character...  is there multiple copies of each card so I can use it with other character or if I use it for one character the card is lost then if I want to play with a friend he needs a copy of the game and I need a copy of the game to be able to use same cards ? 

And is there a limit of how many times a card can be in the spell books ?

Thank community for clarifying these details for me !

Let's the war begins !
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:13:52 AM by cruncher20 »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: How many copy of the game I need to play with a friend ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »
One copy of the Core Set will provide enough for two people to play the game and enough for them to play around with customizing their spellbooks. You might, however, fight over some cards which only have a single copy in the Core Set.

As far as how many copies of a card you can have in your spellbook, you may have 6 copies of a level 1 card or 4 copies of any other level of card. Unless it is Epic, then you can only have 1 in your Spellbook.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »
I would recommend getting a single copy of the Core Set to share while you learn. Then after that you guys can decide what else you want to buy and who needs to buy it. If you get hooked, you may decide to both get your own stuff so that you don't have to share. You may even both get multiple copies of certain products depending on how bad you catch the bug. But that will be easier to decide after you've actually played the game.

Remember to play Apprentice Mode first while you learn. It helps a LOT.

cruncher20

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »
Thanks Zuberi really appreciates you took the time to answer me !

I will try apprentice mode first as you suggest...  learning curve looks steep but from what I'm reading it worth it !

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »
I have a very simple solution for when I need more copies of a mage wars card. :) Its actually something Ive been using for Magic the Gathering for several years when I want to use an expensive card in several decks.
I simply use a multi function scanner/printer and make copies of the cards with premium paper. Then I cut the copy out and slide it in a sleeve with a real card behind.

For magic its really simple since those cards have a black (or sometimes white border) When making a mage wars proxy I just cut the copy ever so slightly smaller than the actual card to prevent a white edge on showing on the backside. (That only really matters for enchantments tho)

This does require you to sleeve all cards, but I do that with all my games anyway. Im somewhat fanatic when it comes to preserving the condition of my games.

So far its mainly the staples of all decks that tend to run out, or some promocard that I only have a single copy of that Ive had to do this with. I bet Im not the only one whos been annoyed at not being able to build another deck without dismantling a previous one because you need some more dissolves.
Anyway if you use matte semi photo paper and a good printer you get really good copies. If you put one next to an original you can see a slight difference, but most people I play cant even tell my proxys from a real card unless I point it out. Its also less problematic for mage wars than for magic since you cant cheat by spotting wich cards are proxys from their thickness while shuffling.