May 03, 2024, 09:14:03 AM

Author Topic: concerning daze and quick cast  (Read 5581 times)

CharlesUnleashed

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
concerning daze and quick cast
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »
I know it's been discussed, but the topic was older than 60 days old and when posting a reply I was given a warning of sorts. The post is http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12215.0

According to sdougla2, the daze condition is removed after activation. However according to the tokens themselves, they say they're removed after acting. In other words, activation is simply flipping over the creatures action token before the creatures actually acts, but what is acting considered? Is quick cast not considered acting even though it is an action? Shouldn't a daze be removed if you use your quick cast action to cast say a Force Push, then follow up with your mage's full creature action to cast an attack spell as normal? I guess I'm seeking a definition for the word acting.

Thanks,
Charles

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: concerning daze and quick cast
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »
Acting refers to one of three actions that a creature can do when you activate it:

A. Take a move action first, and then take a quick action.

B.Take a full action

C. Do nothing

The mages quickcast action is a separate ability that is disconnected from activation and as is not considered acting

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:02:39 AM »
The terms "activation" and "acting" can be a little misleading, I suppose, but luckily they are not actually used in the official rules for Daze. Per the codex entry of Daze, "All Daze markers are removed at the end of the creature’s Action Phase."

For a full run down of what Action Phase means, you will have to read through the entire rule book, as it is mentioned in several places. A quick summary of it though is that it begins with Activating the creature (i.e. flipping it's Action Marker over) and only ends after it has completed doing everything it wishes to do and you are ready to pass turn to your opponent. It is at this point, the end of the creature's Action Phase, that Daze is removed.

The Quick Cast Marker is not an Action, and is never used during an Action Phase. It is used Before or After a friendly creature's Action Phase. Thus, using the Quick Cast Marker will never remove Daze.

CharlesUnleashed

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:01:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I missed it in the core rule book or the errata, but I didn't find anything that specifically spoke about this and didn't want to assume either case. Both replies cleared up the issue.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
It's not against the rules to post on a thread after it's been inactive for 60 days. It's just often considered rude. I got confused before about the same thing, probably because the warning is in BRIGHT RED TEXT. Everyone knows that bright red ANYTHING is generally either saying "stop," "do not touch," "I love you," or "I hate you," so it's an understandable mistake to assume that the inactive thread warning is saying one of these things.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »
@Charles

Thank you for checking first.  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage