May 04, 2024, 12:58:23 PM

Author Topic: Some More Love on the Main Site  (Read 7577 times)

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Some More Love on the Main Site
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
I love this game, maybe more than any other in my collection. Short of Starcraft 2, and my various TTRPGs I have never dedicated so much time to a single game in ways other than actually playing it. I visit the site every day now, hoping to see some news, and scouring the forums for interesting conversations.

That's why it bums me out whenever I come to the main page and see the same information every day. I only just recently found out that the facebook page is really where all the action is. I can't help but to feel that really draws people away from the main page, and thus stifles some of the interesting conversation that comes up.

Is there anyone else that feels this way? Would any of you guys like to see more preview style content on the actual page? Maybe write-ups from the designers on their thoughts behind cards, or even updates on events that are being held? Anything to feed my hunger for more mage wars info?

Speaking of more mage wars info, and the facebook page - make sure to take a look at the latest three cards... O. M. G. Cannot wait  :cheer:.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Some More Love on the Main Site
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
yes i am rather disappointed at the activity level on the forums atm. i have to agree that part of the problem is their is nothing drawing them into the main site or the forums. if their were forum exclusive spoilers i think we would see an increase in activity. at the end of the day you cant really force people to take part in the community though.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »
I agree that there needs to be more activity on this site.  Right now, the community is fractured between here, BGG and FB.  I think, at the very least, they should be posting the spoilers that they are putting on FB here as well.  They need to get people together and sharing thoughts on this stuff.  Build the hype up by getting us talking.  

I'm so surprised that there isn't more discussion going on with the spoilers out.  There's been some on BGG, but not much.  I'm used to games where spoiler time generates tons of activity and disucssion about the cards.  I'm not sure what it says about this game and/or this community that there is so little disucssion going on over these excellent previews.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback - I totally agree, we need to revitalize some of the information here on the website. We are currently working on revamping the front page, and we've just hired a communications director whose job will be to make sure the website is constantly current with new information - helping release more designer notes and strategy guides, etc. So, definitely look forward to that.

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »
You guys completely rock :-D. I look forward to seeing it!

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »
I think the issue is that the community isn't as large as we think it is. While I think Mage wars is a great game, has a lot of potential, and will continue to grow we just don't have the player base we think we do. Honestly the online community of games like these are mostly made up of those who play competitively. The game isn't really at a point where it can promote this kind of play yet so the community is small.

Just my 2 cents

LumberjackJim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
I definitely agree with the original post.  I now only check the news page on this site because it comes before the forum.  And it's upsetting every time.  I think that the main reason more of the spoilers come out on Facebook is it just hits a broader audience, and it probably always will regardless of the player base.  It just makes sense to get as many people excited about the expansion as possible.

On the other hand, I definitely agree about the Forum-exclusive spoilers.  I think that giving the more serious, involved players a little bonus would be a great thing, and it might draw more people into the conversation.

I also would really like to see more articles from the Mage Wars team.  When I saw the Strategy section of the website the first time I came here, I was really excited.  But nothing has been added to it since then, so now I just think about what I wish it would be.  I would love to read the designers thoughts on the game, and the different cards and weird uses for cards they have come up with, things like that.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:17 AM »
Awesome, this is great feedback. From what I'm hearing it looks like these would be huge steps to helping out our community here at magewars.com

1. Get forum exclusive spoilers: content you can't find on BGG and on Facebook
2. Regularly updated news content, maybe on a week to week basis, and possibly before it goes out to the other social venus
3. More designer thoughts: strategy guides, breakdowns of why and how the game was created the way it was, and updates on when products will be released, etc.

The big, big thing though sounds like: make it exclusive to this one particular place.

Honestly, the reason we've had so much focus on Facebook is largely to do with the fact that we have a large community there, and it's been relatively easy to pump out small amounts of content on a daily or weekly basis. However, with a full-time Communications guy coming on board, this should be relatively no problem to have updated content on both BGG, the Forums, and Facebook and have there be specific targeted information for each one. I'd love to not have such a fractured presence, but each of those portals reaches a different mindset and a different consumer base. For instance, I believe we found most of our early International fans through Boardgamegeek, most of our fans we meet at tradeshows stop by Facebook first (where they're adding all the friends they met at a specific con), and, like you guys mentioned, our most competitive players (and oftentimes future playtesters), come to the forums. So, they are generally different crowds with some crossover.

However, if I'm hearing you guys right - we will get on all of this stuff immediately. Thanks again for being so great with feedback!

mikedub99

• Playtester
  • Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Sean, you guys are amazing!  as someone who pops on the website several times a day, i have longed for more information.  eventually, i found myself checking bgg first.  but, as always, you guys are listening and being proactive.  can't tell you how impressive that is for me and is constantly mentioned in all three areas (here, bgg, and fb).  it's truly appreciated!!

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
While it has been suggested, is there any way there could be a preview section added here to the site? I've got no access to FB during the work day, even during breaks and lunch, so it would be nice if I could see new info here :)

N0rdicNinja

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 08:16:09 AM »
I'd love for there to be more of a reason to come to this site, I try to frequent all three (this, FB and BGG) but ultimately would prefer to come here to do most of my MW discussing. At the moment there's not a lot of reason for me to check in.

Although that doesn't stop me from checking in. =P I'd just like for there to be more of a reason. It also makes the community feel dead when it very much isn't.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
We actually just brought on two more people to help with this. Patrick Connor, our communications director begins full time work today! He's actually flying in to Dallas right now. We also brought on a part time web designer who has been steadily improving the speed of the site. You should see more changes starting this next week!

ghbell

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
I think people use BGG because it is sort of a one stop shop kind of thing.  They go there for multiple games and a lot of different discussions on multiple threads.  This is all done on one log in, and there is a large amount of people there.  

To come here requires a side trip.  It is sort of like on line banking.  Everybody pays their bills from one site...  their bank.  Not too many go to all of their different bills and pay them on the various creditor site.  That is a pain.  

FB, let's face it, is super easy and has like 800,000,000 users.  

Add in that the forums here were not very active, then people just went back to what they were comfortable with.  I also had this weird authentication that I had to type in for my first many posts, which inherently made posting a massive pain here.

I only came here to see the spoilers that I haven't seen and see if that authentication thingamajigger is gone.

Ultimately, why wouldn't you use all of the various outlets?  BGG and FB are free, and have HUGE user numbers.  I would allow all stuff to be posted everywhere as ALL free advertising is good advertising.

ghbell

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
Note:  Authentication gone.  That is GOOD thing because posting with that was a problem.