May 05, 2024, 04:34:57 AM

Author Topic: Mysteys Runesmith  (Read 3536 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Mysteys Runesmith
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
There is currently a tournament going on for the german community it has the special rules that every mage may only be used during the tournament. 16 players compete we have four groups of four players with the first two advancing. And then a double elimination. Discussions are mainly in german but the spellbooks are often posted as the english version, and you can find some videos of Schwenkgott recording it. More info at:

http://challonge.com/ThunderdomeG

http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/26073-thunderdome-g-spielberichte-decks-analysen-wissenswertes/

I'll just also post my decks here:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Runesmith[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Anvil Throne Warlord Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]3 x Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J13]2 x Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07]1 x Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC02]1 x Earth Elemental[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC09]1 x Iron Golem[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E33]1 x Retaliate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE09]1 x Standard Bearer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]3 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]3 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03]1 x Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q11]1 x Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]2 x Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ05]1 x Helm of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]1 x Morning Star[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]2 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q04]1 x Deflection Bracers[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]2 x Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ02]1 x Defense Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q22]1 x Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I04]1 x Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]1 x Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I02]2 x Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI10]1 x Whirling Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]3 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]2 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I17]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

cliff notes: Dwarf is OP

This Dwarf is tuff. Most spellbooks will not have an easy time vs this guy.

I have only played this a few times, but i have faced it (different versions but still very tuff)

Seems to play a lot like Charmynas Tanky Wizards.

A few points:

To slow for a 75 min tourney game

"You cant kill me" spellbooks might lack sufficient offence to actually kill the other mage.

DoT strategies should work well vs him.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mysteys Runesmith
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
it had defenitly been inspired by a tanky wizard. Long story short my girlfriend had said, play a dwarf in the tourney (thunderdome G) so I had played it.

In a non-timed match this has defenitly the killing power, you cant dissolve all armor and also both elemental wands (and cantrip mage wand). The dwarf with a piercing rune morning star and bear strength (what you cast very late as you probably first have to survive the onslaught.) and gauntlets are good damage

as most of those tourney books, the defenitly need some more milage to be perfect. Like this book was only played in those two tourneys and in some playtesting with new cards. I just don't play that much.

What I would defenitly add from PvS: champion gauntlets that way your mage wand and all other hand slot stuff is just much harder to get rid off, and it simply takes more dissolves away also itself. The Standfast boots are also a consideration, but probably not as you already have two foot pieces. I probably would ditch the EE as i never casted it, but as said this deck wasn't played very often. Maybe add a Dwarf Panzerguard or a Second Iron Golem instead.

In the Promo (thunderdome) version you add 2 ballistas and a critical strike. With bear strength critical strike and a piercing rune morning star you defenitly ditch out enough damage also. (akiro maybe also) can also add whirling strike if needed

ditch the standard bearer, maybe add bim shalla, replace one purify by remove curse...

maybe some of the command spells could be removed too, but there you need more play

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mysteys Runesmith Videos
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLBHD2DsRI0 from ThunderdomeG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMSX68WxI8k from ADMW (in german cant find the English)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5WlaJLZiGE finally the Charmyna vs Master Mystery - epic Wizard vs Wizard

"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
Maybe add a Dwarf Panzerguard or a Second Iron Golem instead.

kriegshammer

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: all good things come in trees
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
I don´t know if you use that saying "all good things come in trees" but Danes uses it (or used to)

Anyway if we look at Mysterys books it seems he runs a standard pack of incantations:
3 [mwcard=MW1I06]Dispel[/mwcard]

3 [mwcard=MW1I07]Dissolve[/mwcard]

1 [mwcard=MW1I28]Teleport[/mwcard]

0-2 [mwcard=MW1I24]Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]

1-2 [mwcard=MW1I20]Purify[/mwcard]

0 [mwcard=MW1I21]Purge Magic[/mwcard]

Besides Runesmith runs:
3 [mwcard=MW1E32]Regrowth[/mwcard]

3 [mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard]

i might add that "Blasting" runs 3 [mwcard=MW1Q10]Fireshaper Rings[/mwcard]..

So if you really want to keep something and you figure your opponent is going to try remove it - run tree?

You might already having answered this in "Mysterys thoughts about a lot of things" -btw when are you, Sharkbait/Puddinghead ++ going to do a podcast?

------------------

Something different: this book only runs 1 [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard]? - isnt that action very important?
Id would think a backup Battleforge might be better than lets say [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]Armor Ward[/mwcard]?

If your opponent only runs 3 Dissolve - Armor Ward doesnt do that much? Its still really good and the times that you prevent a Dissolve its completely stellar. Vs a Water Mage (Druid/Siren) it might be better, but im just arguing that the action from Battleforge is more important.

Playing vs tanky mages with just 3 Dissolves gives you tuff choices - i usually go for 2 for [mwcard=MW1Q19]Mage Wands[/mwcard] and 2 for either [mwcard=DNQ07]Veteran's Belt[/mwcard] or leather (with my own wand)

-------------------------------------

@Mystery " I just don't play that much"

Come to Copenhagen :)
Viking-Con is 14-16 Oktober  Siren, Paladin, Academy, Promos allowed - you should be able to get 40 games in.

If you cant or don´t want to wait that long we might meet in Berlin?
Im sure Tyrnan could set something up, and i could bring a few PvS, academy and hopefully Keejchen as well.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: all good things come in trees
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »
If you cant or don´t want to wait that long we might meet in Berlin?
Im sure Tyrnan could set something up, and i could bring a few PvS, academy and hopefully Keejchen as well.
Just inform me about this. It's easier for me to get to Berlin than Copenhagen.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »
I don´t know if you use that saying "all good things come in trees" but Danes uses it (or used to)

Anyway if we look at Mysterys books it seems he runs a standard pack of incantations:
3 [mwcard=MW1I06]Dispel[/mwcard]

3 [mwcard=MW1I07]Dissolve[/mwcard]

1 [mwcard=MW1I28]Teleport[/mwcard]

0-2 [mwcard=MW1I24]Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]

1-2 [mwcard=MW1I20]Purify[/mwcard]

0 [mwcard=MW1I21]Purge Magic[/mwcard]

Besides Runesmith runs:
3 [mwcard=MW1E32]Regrowth[/mwcard]

3 [mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard]

i might add that "Blasting" runs 3 [mwcard=MW1Q10]Fireshaper Rings[/mwcard]..

So if you really want to keep something and you figure your opponent is going to try remove it - run tree?

You might already having answered this in "Mysterys thoughts about a lot of things" -btw when are you, Sharkbait/Puddinghead ++ going to do a podcast?
lot of people complain about armor and keeping it low as much as possible but losing your only hawkeye, fireshaper ring hurts as much. But it mainly comes down to book knowledge. I most often have no purge magic as I lose my own enchantments (hawkeye, bear strength etc on offense, rhino hide, regrowth on defense). On the opposing mage it might come on handy sometimes, Dark has a better answer for this (arcane corruption), 3 dispels are generally more versitile for me. But there are some books which have purge

Add REMOVE CURSE as one of the purifies for the future

------------------

Something different: this book only runs 1 [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard]? - isnt that action very important?
Id would think a backup Battleforge might be better than lets say [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]Armor Ward[/mwcard]?

It costs another 8mana and an action you will defenitly get two actions out of the forge before it is destroyed (or your oponent is extremly open then). Destroying the forge gives you time. Anyhow the forge hammer should get removed from the book. I am so tight on points that I simply have non for a second forge, that coupled with my reason to not casting channel and spwanpoints later than round 4. But maybe it can come in handy

If your opponent only runs 3 Dissolve - Armor Ward doesnt do that much? Its still really good and the times that you prevent a Dissolve its completely stellar. Vs a Water Mage (Druid/Siren) it might be better, but im just arguing that the action from Battleforge is more important.

Playing vs tanky mages with just 3 Dissolves gives you tuff choices - i usually go for 2 for [mwcard=MW1Q19]Mage Wands[/mwcard] and 2 for either [mwcard=DNQ07]Veteran's Belt[/mwcard] or leather (with my own wand)
I have 5 dissolves if other tanky oponent plays perfect (only going for my mage wands and keeping it) with my mage wands, including champion gauntlets could give me more time. A 4th one might be nice but this is a slow book so I will not have to rush on dissolving other players gear asap.

The Armor ward comes back to the enchanters wardstone. While I am not a huge fan of the latter, I like armor ward. The wardstone can come nice when you cast it so that you can destroy oponents plans, but with a reveal armor ward I can manage that more easily. It situationally will block a dissolve, but it more often will screw the oponents second action that turn he is dissolving. It is also a hidden enchantment so he might be in doubt what it is etc, may fish for nullify...

Later on it helps me plan my turns that i know some piece of equipment is save from destruction due to rune/plate/ward extra cost or will need a crumble and a force push or something.

With the BF if i really think I can lose it fast, maybe having the panzerguard out for intercept earlier is better?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:43:16 AM by Mystery »