May 05, 2024, 01:16:24 PM

Author Topic: Mysterys "Veterans" Spellbook  (Read 2637 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Mysterys "Veterans" Spellbook
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:27:50 AM »
There is currently a tournament going on for the german community it has the special rules that every mage may only be used during the tournament. 16 players compete we have four groups of four players with the first two advancing. And then a double elimination. Discussions are mainly in german but the spellbooks are often posted as the english version, and you can find some videos of Schwenkgott recording it. More info at:

http://challonge.com/ThunderdomeG

http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/26073-thunderdome-g-spielberichte-decks-analysen-wissenswertes/

I'll just also post my decks here:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Veterans[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Warlord Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]1 x Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]1 x Armory[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]1 x Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J02]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J13]1 x Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC01]2 x Bridge Troll[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC09]1 x Iron Golem[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC11]2 x Orc Butcher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]1 x Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C06]1 x Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE09]1 x Standard Bearer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]3 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]3 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]2 x Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ05]1 x Helm of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]1 x Morning Star[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]1 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ08]1 x Ring of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q09]1 x Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I06]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I02]1 x Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI12]2 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I04]1 x Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]2 x Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI10]1 x Whirling Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]3 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

"Veteranen: Bloodwave Kriegsherr

Die Idee ist es einige recht starke Kreaturen zu bekommen und versuchen mit diesen Veteranen Marker zu bekommen. Sind zwar viele aus anderen Schulen dabei aber schon gut. Damit ich keine Probleme mit den Aktionen habe, spiele ich es mit Schmiede."

Easy enough:
1. Get some decent dudes out, and try to get some Veterans tokens.
2. Use the "Blacksmith" to save actions.

I loved this book :)

To questions:

Attack spells seems on the low side? Even in non-Warlord books i often run 2 Hurl Boulders - here in school and almost no other range (2+), no bow etc. 
So why so few in-school attack spells?

Creatures:
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC01]Bridge Troll[/mwcard] - gotta love em. If opponent can't kill them or stop their regen their just awesome. Never tried to add a third, but that might be a good idea?

[mwcard=FWC11]Orc Butcher[/mwcard] pretty solid guys - unfortunately they don´t last forever.

[mwcard=MW1C06]Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard] Well Brogan is Brogan, but 8 spellbookpoints?
Besides hes 15 mana and he dies to quick for my liking. 4 dice (5 w HoB) makes it hard for him to kill something and gain the desired Veteran token. We can buff him, with lets say Bear Strenght - but thats make focussing him down more tempting and better. I did end up changing him for another Golem + extra helm and charge and then either command spells or a Hurl Boulder. It just gave some other problems..

[mwcard=FWC09]Iron Golem[/mwcard] another really nice creature - star vs Zombies in trouble vs Priestess with Staff of Asyra/ToL - and they are a lot of work. Your opponent are likely to spend a lot of time and ressourses as well trying to avoid him. 1 might be just right?

[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard] i instant replaced him with [mwcard=FWC06]Goblin Slinger[/mwcard] and never looked back. Was very happy with the slinger and the range 2 and had forgot all about him not being part of the build. In hindsight Goblin Alchemist could have been very usefull to corrode enemy armor, even the burn/rot might have helped. Still not easy to keep him alive?

Thats it for now - trying not to make super long posts.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterys "Veterans" Spellbook
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
Link to 2 Videos with this Orc Bloodwave Warlord:

ThunderdomeG round 1 vs Tyrnan (Beastmaster):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaxdNYxpqd4

ADMW vs Ad_yer (Earth Wizard)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksRibB6QejU

"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »
This is a pretty hearty book. I enjoyed watching it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Live or die
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:48:54 PM »
[mwcard=FWE09]Standard Bearer[/mwcard] this spell is one of the few spells i wanted to cut.

You have to put this spell on a creature that don´t die to easy and never get the bonus at that creature.

Its not cheap. 2 spellbookpoints and the reveal cost is pretty high. (lower with command ring, but thats not free)

So how important is the Melee+1 and Armor+1 on our mage?

With the [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC01]Bridge Trolls[/mwcard]  i really like the Armor+1, the Melee +1 is good but not that important. Same thing with [mwcard=MW1C06]Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard] the Melee+1 is really attractive but the armor might not matter.

[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07]Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard] wouldnt he be a better candidate as a bearer of the standard?  He might even help keeping us and our soldiers alive.

[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]Armory[/mwcard] this is in the same alley as Standard Bearer. Pretty decent buff, but when will we cast it? Im guessing when we have around 3 soldiers out?  At that time we probably have a lot of things we want to do.

Still the only way we can win is by punching the opponet and hes forces to death, so those buffs are probably very important.

In most of the few games ive played with this spellbook, regrowth gets dispelled and Wand of Healing gets dissolved.
In some of the other spellbooks run 3 regrowth. Running only 1 is that a mistake?

Would something like [mwcard=FWJ08]Renewing Spring[/mwcard] and maybe [mwcard=FWE06]Fortified Position[/mwcard] be good choises?
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
I really like where you going with this book.

I think you should add some spike traps to your enchantments.

I'd understand about how you feel with standard barer since your not running a lot of small creatures.  Myself I prefer to Vet the large ones anyways ie. Bridge Trolls, Orc Butcher.

I think 2 Rhino Hides is good and I would drop the Standard and 1 Rhino Hide for 2 Spike Pits.

Force pulling into a spike pit is some damage and a Stuck on a 1+ condition.  For 10 mana which with a mana flower you can do any turn.

I personally have never really used defend.  What I do like for the same cost is Altar of the iron guard for 1 SPB and 4 mana to drop.

I'd get a Decoy with the extra SBP as a nullify popper or a bluff.

I think a regrowth belt is the only other thing I would try to add.  Just because it means they have to be within 1 square to remove it, and it has synergy with your Harshforge.  Other wise from 2 zones away I can remove your only healing without real risk.