May 02, 2024, 05:03:59 AM

Author Topic: Storm Spirit  (Read 3836 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Storm Spirit
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »
Storm Spirit

Spell Point Limit: 120
Health: 32
Armor: 0
Channeling: 9

Creature: Nature Spirit

Training: Trained in any Hydro, Wind, Lightning, Weather, or non-Poison Cloud sub-type cards, and level 2 Enchantments and Plants in Nature.

Abilities:

One With Nature: Pay X mana and bind 1 Spell that Storm Spirit is trained in to her as a Full Action. It gains Dissipate X/2, and she gains all Traits and Attacks that Spell has until it is destroyed. X is the total cost of the Spell. Spells bound by this effect are treated as Enchantments.

((To clarify something, as I wasn't sure on the wording, "non-Poison Cloud" means Cloud sub-types, but the ones with Poison don't count. Just felt like I should clarify that. And yes, Dissipate X/2 means half of X, rounded to the nearest whole number.))

The Perfect Storm: Storm Spirit starts with 5 Storm Counters on her. When she plays an Attack or Incantation Spell that she is Trained in, she can pay Mana equal to it's Level +2 and place a Storm Counter on it. That Spell is attached to a target non-Plant Conjuration you are Trained in within 2 Zones instead of playing it's effect, and that Conjuration becomes a Creature as well, and can Act using any Attacks or Incantations attached to it (it may not act this turn). Each Storm Counter counts as a Growth Counter on the attached Conjuration. Storm Counters return to the Storm Spirit when the card they are on is destroyed and can be used again.

Basic Melee Attack ;; Quick ;; Melee ;; 0-0 ;; 3 damage

---------

Here is a list of every card this Mage is trained in. Note that it is NOT a complete spellbook, nor is it meant to be one.

A Mage Wars Spellbook, built using the OCTGN SBB 8/8/2016 11:33 AM

Spellbook points: 156 used of 156 allowed

Key: Quantity - Spell Name - Spell Level - Spellbook Cost - Total Spellbook Cost

---  Hydro  ---
1 - Surging Wave - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Geyser - 1 - 2 - 2

---  Wind ---
1 - Windstorm - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Sandstorm - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Jet Stream - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Whirling Spirit - 4 - 8 - 8

---  Lightning ---
1 - Arc Lightning - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Shock - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Forked Lightning - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Lightning Jolt - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Piercing Thunderstrike - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Lightning Raptor - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Chain Lightning - 3 - 6 - 6
1 - Electrify - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Lightning Bolt - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Thunderbolt - 3 - 6 - 6
1 - Circle of Lightning - 2 - 4 - 4

---  Weather  ---
1 - Raincloud - 1 - 4 - 4
1 - Renewing Rain - 1 - 4 - 4

---  Cloud  ---
1 - Fog Bank - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Rolling Fog - 2 - 4 - 4

--- Nature levels 1 and 2 of Plants and Enchantments ---
1 - Tangleroot - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Mana Flower - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Tanglevine - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Wall of Thorns - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Tanglevine - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Bloodspine Wall - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Mohktari, Great Tree of Life - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Corrosive Orchid - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Etherian Lifetree - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Stranglevine - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Vine Snapper - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Thornlasher - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Falcon Precision - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Bear Strength - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Lion Savagery - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Rhino Hide - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Badger Frenzy - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Gator Toughness - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Iguana Regrowth - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Panther Stealth - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Wolf Fury - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Bear Strength - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Bull Endurance - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Cheetah Speed - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Hawkeye - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Mongoose Agility - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Regrowth - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Rhino Hide - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Lion Savagery - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Cobra Reflexes - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Eagle Wings - 2 - 4 - 4

That all said, here's some of the original cards that might be in the set.

--------

Tornado ;; Cost: 2/3X ;; Air 4 ;; Wind ;; Enchantment ;; Full ;; 0-3 ;; Target: Zone
Storm Spirit only, Epic, Dissipate X

Whirling Wind ;; Ranged ;;  Zone Attack ;; [Wind];; Dice=X+1 ;; d12 1-4 Stuck, 5-8 Stuck + Dazed, 9+ Stunned + Pushed 2 in a random direction, Unavoidable, +2 vs Flying

Tornado gets X Category Counters when it is revealed. During the Upkeep Phase, each Creature in the Arena within a number of Zones equal to the Category Counters on Tornado is Pushed 1 Zone closer to Tornado. Tornado makes it's Attack at the end of each Upkeep Phase.

Alternatively, this could be tweaked so the zone range is instead a flat 2 zones away, and it can move like the rain cloud, 1 zone per turn for 1 mana.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:56:07 PM by Milevan_Faent »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Wizard
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 05:41:33 AM »
This looks kind of like a shaman. Otherwise I would say to call it a Storm Spirit, but the alliteration there makes it sound too cool, like it will overshadow mages with normal names. Why training in plants btw? Also that storm counter ability looks kind of broken. One with nature should be limited to attacks or incantations too. You need to have some extra cost built in because as it is this Mage is insane on spellbook points because of all the spellbinding effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Wizard
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
This looks kind of like a shaman. Otherwise I would say to call it a Storm Spirit, but the alliteration there makes it sound too cool, like it will overshadow mages with normal names. Why training in plants btw? Also that storm counter ability looks kind of broken. One with nature should be limited to attacks or incantations too. You need to have some extra cost built in because as it is this Mage is insane on spellbook points because of all the spellbinding effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said in my PM, this guy is VERY much in the early experimental stage still. Like, I told you about him within 5 minutes of thinking and typing it up XD

Balance hasn't gotten a passthrough yet as I'm still trying to come up with what I want to do with him to make him feel different from every other Mage, what his role will be. The Plants thing was mostly because otherwise, he was literally limited to 21~ different cards, not counting the spells that I was going to make up. That felt a bit TOO limiting, making him able to barely do anything without a really expensive spell book. Some of these sets have very few cards in them, which makes it not nearly as useful as it might seem. Weather and Clouds for instance are pretty much the same thing right now almost. Both combined give maybe 3 cards from what i remember. It's mostly Lightning and Wind that give cards, with Hydro providing 2 as well. Looking at those options, I felt the decks would just be too limited to really make anything interesting with. If proven otherwise, I could of course drop the Nature part.

Sometime later today, I'll do a balance pass and try to rebalance the abilities a bit better. Even I felt they were too much, but it was more the concept I was trying to put down, so I'd have a feel of what the Mage WAS, so I could plan out other cards and stuff so I'd know where to tweak things.

EDIT: As for limiting One with Nature to only Attacks and Incantations, I don't think it needs it. Since the fusion is limited in duration, costs as much mana as the card itself does, and takes away one of your cards to do it, I think in the long run it balances out. Even if you were to use it to combine with a creature with some really potent abilities like a Wind Spirit, you still only get it for so long, and don't gain the extra action you would normally get from playing the Creature. In the long run, all you gained was a temporary buff (maybe a very nice one, but still temporary).

Also, tweaked the Perfect Storm ability to where I don't also get the benefit of the spell I cast, and it instead goes straight to the Conjuration which cannot act if it wasn't already a Creature. I also made the Conjurations count as both, which it was meant to when I came up with it, but I forgot to put that in there >>
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:07:09 PM by Milevan_Faent »

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Storm Spirit
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »
Added Tornado and a list of the cards Storm Spirit is trained in by default.