May 02, 2024, 07:21:21 AM

Author Topic: Illusionist  (Read 3842 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Illusionist
« on: May 04, 2016, 12:17:13 AM »
[u]Illusionist [/u]
School:  Mind, lvl 1 Air
30 life, 0 Armor, 10 Channel

Increasing Astral Vision: During the Deployment Phase you may place one Astral Eye marker.  Whenever you, or an object you control, casts an Astral Projection spell, you may target a zone containing a friendly Astral Eye marker, or target an object in that zone or bordering that zone.  Then destroy that marker.

Mirror Image: Pay 5 mana, quick cast spell.  Cast a mirror image creature of your mage.  This creature has Astral Projection trait, and the incorporeal trait, +1 Upkeep.   3 health.  Elusive trait, pest, and Physic immune.  Energy Blast: Range quick, Ethereal Attack, 0-1 range, 2 dice, 7+ Stagger.  (special rules apply)

Energy Blast: Pay 1 mana, quick cast spell.  Range attack, 0-1 range. Ethereal Attack.  2 Dice, 5+ stagger  11+ Double Stagger
3 Melee Attack

Notes:
Astral Eyes marker; counts as a conjuration.  It is flying, and may move once per turn as an action.  They have one health, zero armor, and incorporeal.  Increasing Astral Vision functions in the same way as vine spreading. 
Mirror Image special rules:  there are 3 mirror image cards. 

Couple of spells I’m thinking about. 

Incantation- Energy Wave
Illusionist Only
2 cost. Destroy Astral Eye marker: target Astral Projection creature in same zone as destroyed eye marker.  Choose one:  increase health by 1, activate a mirror image creature, give +1 to melee or range attack

Conjuration- Mirror Wall: (Astral Projection)
Illusionist Only
4 health, incorporeal.  Non passable, blocks sight.  Whipping Tendrils:  Pay one mana to make an attack.  Melee attack: 2 dice.  9+ stuck

Enchantment- Berserk
2 cost. 2 Reveal.  Reveal when creature is activated and attacking.  Instead of attacking creature of choice. Creature attacks itself.  Destroy berserk after attack. 

Incantation -  Red Eye
Illusionist Only
2+X cost.  Target friendly Astral Eye marker; Choose enemy creature that creature immediately spends its action marker, may move, and attack another enemy creature of your choice.  Destroy that Astral Eye marker.  X is enemy creature activated level.

The Illusionist is an expert in mind manipulation and being able manifest projections into physical objects.  The astral vision ability allows his abilities to expand and cast objects into those zones with Astral projection trait.   Mirror Image and energy Blast allow the mage to quickly get some fire power out and allow some ways of staggering the opposing creatures and or mage.

It is my first fan creation I have worked on, so I apologize if it may not be as fine tuned as some would like.   I just really enjoy this game and wanted to share.  Let me know what you all think.   :)
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Illusionist
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
I think this is a good first design. I really like the idea of an illusionist and others have posted ideas on this forum about what this mage might look like. They might be good inspiration for you. Here are some comments for consideration.

I like where you are going with the Increasing Astral Vision ability, but it sounds too similar to the Druids Spreading Vine ability. I don't have anything specific to offer as a replacement. It is just a feeling of too much sameness.

Suggest dropping the 3rd ability. It is too similar to the Wizard's Arcane Zap and the Stagger condition only exists in Academy at the moment.

You use the term Astral Projection trait, but I think you mean Spell Subtype rather than Trait. The subtype is the small wording under the spell type in the upper right corner of a spell card. If you are adding a new trait, then you may need more definition about what it is.

You may want to make the Mirror Image spells a Cantrip with no spell point cost to place in the spellbook. Another option is to provide an Illusionist-only Spawnpoint the ability to summon Psyloks or similar Mind school creatures.

I think the idea of a wall that can attack into a zone is interesting. I would make it Extendable and Obscure too.

On Berserk - consider making the target a random die roll from among all targets in the zone or in range.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Illusionist
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »
Thanks wtcannonjr for the suggestions.  I agree on pretty much every point you have made.  I will update soon. \

I initially wanted Astral Vision to be similar, but feel different then vine markers.  I choose to keep it similar due to keep the learning curve easier to manage.  I do think the spells cast with the Astral projection subtype will feel totally different, and give the Illusionist a unique feel. 

I originally thought the astral eyes would be creatures.  To make that ability feel and play differently I came up with this.

Astral Vision:  Whenever your mage casts a spell you may pay 1 mana to summon an astral eye creature marker in the zone where the spell was targeted. 
Astral Eye-  Creature-  Astral Projection subtype
1 life, 0 attack, flying, pest, incorporeal, invisible

May not be enchanted
When moving this creature loses the invisible trait. 

Now the astral eyes are actually creatures/markers.  The biggest difference is when he may cast them.  After any spell the Illusionist's cast.  They can move to extend the Illusionist range.  Now this allows him to cast a thunderbolt or a lightening bolt and summon a Astral eye in the zone it attack.  Allowing some very speedy interesting combinations with other spells.  Possibly even casting a mirror wall next to a zone right after an astral eye was summoned. 

It may be really strong so I might have once per turn ability.  Or having it being a specific type or sub-type of spell like only air or astral projection sub-types can be cast with this ability.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:42:01 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster