May 15, 2024, 02:23:53 PM

Author Topic: Ideas for Holy spells  (Read 5586 times)

qaz_azaran

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Ideas for Holy spells
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
I would love it if there was more variety of angels to summon for holy mages.  It'd be neat to have more summoned units that do things beyond just attack.

For example:

Angel of healing which can heal 2 die damage as a quick action and 3 as a full.
Angel of protection which grants all friendly units in zone Aegis +1.
Angel of serenity which incapacitates target for one round (puts it to sleep.)
Angel of justice grants all friendly units in zone a 1 pt damage barrier OR deals 1 unavoidable damage to all attacking creatures in zone OR grants all friendly units in zone the counterattack ability.
An Archangel which has it's own mana and helps to summon more angels.  Possibly offering an attack bonus to all angels in the same zone.  This is the only one I'd make unique/legendary.

I think it'd also be neat if there were a temple (or an amulet) which expands the range of all holy spells by 1 (except summons, that'd be too powerful and imbalance the game.) 

I also had a thought for an enchantment that you could place on your summoned creatures which allows you to target them regardless of range (Bond of Loyaly for a name maybe?.)

jupiter999

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Holy spells
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:42:27 PM »
Incantation / Conjuration
Holy Ward - mark a zone that opponent units cannot enter.
Holy Glyph - mark a zone that opponent units cannot escape.

Enchantment
Holy Aura - during upkeep, each opponent dark creature within same zone with this creature will get 1 Light Direct Damage each round.

qaz_azaran

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »
Holy Ward and Glyph would both need a pretty high upkeep to keep from being overpowered; but, nifty idea.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
Holy Ward and Glyph would both need a pretty high upkeep to keep from being overpowered; but, nifty idea.

For Holy Ward, Upkeep X, where X is the amount of creatures opponent has in play.

For Holy Glyph, Upkeep 2X, where X is the mount of creatures opponent has in the glyphed one. Force Hold has a Upkeep of 3, so 2X seem about right since it doesnt give negative traits like Force Hold.

qaz_azaran

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »
@Wildhorn - That makes sense; but, I feel like it'd be clunky and slow down the upkeep phase.  I'm relatively new to playing and everyone I play with is new as well and we already have enough trouble remembering all the modifiers and everything that goes on during the upkeep phase without missing anything.

There are definitely a lot of considerations to keep them from being too powerful.  I think they would have to be unique and zone exclusive conjurations to be at all feasible.  I feel like an upkeep of 5 or 6 would make them really hard to hold without making yourself too vulnerable and keep them from being overpowered.  With a cost that high you'll want to drop them pretty quickly so that somebody doesn't just fry you with fireballs or lightning bolts.

The glyph may be overpowered regardless since you could hypothetically trap half a dozen creatures in one and hit them with ranged attacks and/or attack spells which they couldn't really do anything about.

As I think about it they may just work best as incantations that last only a single round.  If you're really determined to keep an area warded that way you'd have to have multiple versions of the card and cast it repeatedly during your quick cast phase.  The cap of 6 versions of the same card in your spellbook would naturally keep the card from being too excessive.

It also occurs to me that there could be creature wards and spell wards.  The creature ward/glyph is powerful but beatable so long as someone can teleport around it.  A combo of both could be doable; but, if each had an upkeep of 5 or 6 you'd be inviting your opponent to build up and smack you down if you tried to use both.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »
Holy Ward - Holy Glyph reworks could just use a mana cost. I'm really liking these, plus my version can help resist teleports.

EX: Holy Ward
holy 2 enchant target zone
cost: 2 reveal 4
Whenever an enemy non-mage creature makes a move action into this zone, it's controller must first pay one mana.

or
EX: Holy Ward 2
Whenever a non-living creature makes a move action into this zone, it's controller must first pay two mana.

and
EX: Holy Glyph
holy 1 enchant target zone or target enemy creature
cost 2 reveal 3
Same wording as [mwcard=MW1E22]Hellfire Trap[/mwcard] but instead an attack, holy glyph attaches to that creature. Whenever this creature would leave the zone, it's controller must first pay 3 mana. If this creature successfully leaves the zone, Holy Glyph attaches to the starting zone and flipped facedown.

PLUS

EX: Sanctuary
Holy 2 enchant target zone
Opponent's spells targeting this zone or a friendly creature in this zone must first play 2 mana.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:26:53 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »
Here's hoping that one day "destroy magic" will see more play...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »
Or make an angel that gives all holy creatures in it's zone Light Immunity. Then you can throw down the blinding flashes with impunity. It would combo well with a zone enchantment which deals light damage to creatures in a zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

jupiter999

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 10:49:35 PM »
Holy Ward - Holy Glyph reworks could just use a mana cost. I'm really liking these, plus my version can help resist teleports.

EX: Holy Ward
Whenever an enemy non-mage creature makes a move action into this zone, it's controller must first pay one mana.

or
EX: Holy Ward 2
Whenever a non-living creature makes a move action into this zone, it's controller must first pay two mana.

and
EX: Holy Glyph
holy 1 enchant target zone or target enemy creature
cost 2 reveal 3
Same wording as [mwcard=MW1E22]Hellfire Trap[/mwcard] but instead an attack, holy glyph attaches to that creature. Whenever this creature would leave the zone, it's controller must first pay 3 mana. If this creature successfully leaves the zone, Holy Glyph attaches to the starting zone and flipped facedown.

I think make the mana payment cost even higher would be better...

Anyway, both version (either controller pay the upkeep or opponent pay the mana) would be nice, so there would be different strategy / tactics involved.
Just don't make that single card handles everything. That's not a good design. Each should have strength / weakness in itself, imho~ :)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
I have an idea!

Super Holy Blast
Type: Incantation
subtype: fanmade
School: Holy
Mana Cost: 30
Range: 0-0

Epic, Magecast, Paladin only.

Super Holy Blast deals damage to the enemy mage equal to their life value - their current damage. Roll an attack die to determine whether the damage is normal or critical. If a blank is rolled, the attack fails. Each mage can only cast it once per game.

Malakai wanted to make the spell much more powerful, but Asyra put her foot down. They didn't want to anger the other gods.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.