May 03, 2024, 04:07:13 AM

Author Topic: Errata'd cards as promo cards?  (Read 16279 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Errata'd cards as promo cards?
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:47:55 AM »
I like receiving MW promo cards at conventions as much as the next person. You know what I would like more? Receiving copies of errata'd MW cards at conventions. I still only have a third edition core set, and I don't want to buy another core set just to get the errata.

Could you guys please start handing out errata'd cards as promos at events? I'm pretty sure I requested this ages ago, but I never got a response.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

magerunner

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Errata'd cards as promo cards?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
I don't think this is a horrible idea... maybe something that could be looked into?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »
I'd always have new cards personally. It would take several hundred cards to replace all my errated ones, I'd much rather new cards.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:53:27 PM »
There is no good solution for this. The correct errataed text should exist in the FAQ. Any printed cards detracts from time devoted to new cards and amended printable sheets are an ip issue.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:00:26 AM »
There is no good solution for this. The correct errataed text should exist in the FAQ. Any printed cards detracts from time devoted to new cards and amended printable sheets are an ip issue.
What is an ip issue?
And why are stickers no solution?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 05:03:36 AM »

I really don't see why they can't release the amended versions as promo cards. I don't think time is an issue so much here because these are cards that have already been designed. Arguably time taken for alternate variants is time taken away from the original version of the game, and yet they still do it because the amount of time lost there is not very significant. I doubt it would really take much to include some errata'd cards as promos alongside the new promo cards, to hand out at events, or as part of organized play participation prizes. Plus, since errata are inevitable in a game like this, releasing shiny promo versions of errata to hand out at events and organized play would probably go a long way towards convincing people unfamiliar with customizable strategy games that errata is just a normal and healthy part of LCG-like games, and does not in fact, indicate incompetency on the part of the designers.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »
I vote against errata cards as promos since this means in fact errata cards only for US. They will never really arrive here in europe and never ever in countries besides those two continents

If real cards were pronted, then please sell updated cards to purchase like spelltomes. If no real cards will be made (what I think) I heavily vote for stickers. They are more durable then printouts and will fit with all designed artwork and so on.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:12:56 PM »
I vote against errata cards as promos since this means in fact errata cards only for US. They will never really arrive here in europe and never ever in countries besides those two continents

I vote 'No' because every errated card printed is a waste that could have given me a new card.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »

I vote 'No' because every errated card printed is a waste that could have given me a new card.
Sorry, but not true.
It's only comparable in amount of material needed, but all carddesign (everything from scratch to testing, as well as artwork) is already done for errata cards. To print them is more pr less no effort. New cards are a lot of work.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 06:47:42 AM »
Sorry, but not true.
It's only comparable in amount of material needed, but all carddesign (everything from scratch to testing, as well as artwork) is already done for errata cards. To print them is more pr less no effort. New cards are a lot of work.

But there are plenty of cards designed and not released (some have been pulled and more likely this weekend for example), and that design work has to take place at some time, you are only bringing it forward.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »
But some cards make me sad that they are weak.  :'(
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 08:29:48 AM »
But some cards make me sad that they are weak.  :'(

This is true, but applies across all sets, all games, promo and full release.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 08:28:04 PM »
What is an ip issue?
And why are stickers no solution?

Intellectual Property issue. The copying of cards without buying them.

I originally suggested sticker sets as the best solution I could think of at the time. However I then realised that I would have to have hundreds of stickers to replace every single mistake.  It is a nice idea in theory but hardly practicable upon reflection.

magerunner

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »
A printable color sheet with the format set for the cards, would work for me.  Just print that card out, slide it into a sleeve (or paste it to the old card).  They have done this before, and I would not mind them continuing the process.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 11:43:10 AM »
Wow. This really doesn't have to be so complicated you guys. Organized Mage Wars play doesn't just happen at cons you know. If errata'd cards were released as promos, they could be given to ambassadors to distribute at local organized play events as a participation prize. That means not just in the US.

And printing old cards that are already designed doesn't "take time away" from printing new cards. Why not just print both?

Errata'd cards as promo cards avoids messing with the IP issue (like stickers do), and it would not be US only. It does not make any significant impact on the production of new cards. Or at least, I somewhat remember Laddinfance saying something like that in another thread.

Furthermore, producing errata'd cards as promo cards would help more people realize that errata is a normal and healthy part of LCG-like games, and that it doesn't indicate any incompetency on the part of the designers. This would likely make it easier and less costly to errata cards as necessary in the future, because errata wouldn't harm the value of sets as much.

If a card from a certain set gets errata'd, the entire edition of that set in which the broken version of the card comes in loses value.

If they released errata'd cards as promos then it would be easier to sell older editions of sets. Instead of just waiting for the new edition of a set to be released, players will be more likely to buy the older edition and then attend local organized play for the errata'd cards.

Does anybody have any better ideas? Are there other reasons errata'd cards as promo cards wouldn't work that well which I am not thinking of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk