May 04, 2024, 06:46:30 AM

Author Topic: Deep Roots, a druid build  (Read 9648 times)

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Deep Roots, a druid build
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:25:40 AM »
Hi! This is my current druid build (for reference, last expansion is Forged in Fire). I have modified it a lot since the first time, going from a very static defensive setup to a buffed druid agrro, to the current plant agressive build:

* modified, see next post *

Standard start is Vine tree on starting corner, and run to NC. Next turn, Vine on NC and FC, and, if an objective is present, the tree cast a Raptor Vine and the druid buffs and Rouse its inner beast for a possible second turn 7 dice attack.

The thorslashers, push, walls, and attack spells are chossed to position opponet where is needed. The mage is usually a bait for the agroo, and it can be a pretty solid bait. The angel can be used it the prey eats too much of the bait, or to protect the tree (never used it yet, i used to have togorath instead).

Any oppinions will be wellcome ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:29:30 AM by zorro »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Roots, a druid build
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:17:01 AM »
Some minor adjustements after some more games...

I dropped the elemental wand (usually no time for it). Also changed a teleport for a force push (usually enough, and better combined with the walls, for less spell points). Also droped poisoned blood and added more bear strength (for defending my plants, having them kill opponent seems more efficient. I made place for tarok in order to have some more versatility in animal to help the main force of the plants.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Deep Roots[/spellbookname]
[mage]Druid[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a08]1 x  Geyser[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a09]1 x  Jet Stream[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNW01]3 x  Bloodspine Wall[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ02]1 x  Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ03]1 x  Etherian Lifetree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ06]1 x  Nightshade Lotus[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ10]1 x  Stranglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x  Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x  Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]4 x  Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC21]4 x  Thornlasher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC20]1 x  Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]1 x  Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC03]1 x  Galador, Protector of Straywood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c36]1 x  Tarok, the Skyhunter[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x  Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]3 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e10]1 x  Decoy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]1 x  Healing Charm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]3 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]1 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNI02]3 x  Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]3 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I play a quick game, positioning in opponent's face and starting quick agresion. Sometimes i go for the mage, and some other times I go for more control, destroying enemy's creatures and spawnpoints before going after the mage. But I always start triying to get agresion earlier than my opponent, triying to get the most of the actions and mana provided by a first turn Vine tree.

My start keeps the same, Vine tree, and run to Near Center. Next turn i drop a raptor vine, and rouse it to have some quick impact on enemy in turn 2, either with bear strengh, an acid ball, some defence, or whatever. It generally deeply impacts enemy gameplan.

Attacks pushing, walls, and thornslashers helps position enemies where needed, removing guards, or ungroup enemies (in order to give time to my plants.

I use the mage to support creatures, using some of it's actions for either guarding or melee attack damaged enemys: that protection helps a lot with plant survivability, and allow them to use their efficient attacks.

I doubt on the guardian angel, since hi is most usefull to protect the tree, and usually i bring batlle far from it... and if opponent go for the tree anyway, is usually more effective to go for the enemy mage and let him lose time on the tree. Anyway i keep  it in the book, just in case....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:20:35 AM by zorro »

Sirscott13

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »
I agree with dropping the tree bonded vine tree in your starting corner. I then set up an adjacent thorn lasher surpunded by two bloodspine walls that help protect your tree because snatching through that wall is killer. Grow another bloodstone wall lengthwise to your tree to complete a good base (summon your ent to guard your tree when you can). Then whip out your vine staff and tartaree to give your tree more mana. Start having your tree summon different creatures and conjugations to creep your way across the board. The idea isn't to swarm like the beast master, or to turtle like the priestess. The idea is domination. Spread across the board with your vines and creatures and keep using vinewhip stuck conditions, strangle/tangle vines, burst thorns, and renewing rain to keep your opponent frustrated as your base and jungle slowly devour them

gerni

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 06:30:59 AM »
I like that you go aggressive. The creatures, that can be cast from the Vine Tree are super efficient in the early stages. That, plus the fact that you are naturally regenerating via tree bond makes an early aggression druid a strong choice.

But as far as I can see, this is the only option for you. You don't have a backup game plan, i.e. dropping a Mana flower or Tataree/Hamornize/Forge to get even more action/channeling advantage. Since its very cheap to include, I'd always put at least one flower into a druid book and personally a Tataree (which gives you an early action advantage, since you can activate it in case you want to wait with your mage's action).

What is your experience with the Nightshade Lotus? I dropped it from my book. I think I did not use it even once in all of my games :) I included a Banish and Stranglevines/Tanglevines to delay big boys. As conjuration, I find a Hand of Bim Shalla to be a way better option (but you can't deploy it from the tree).

Also, I'd be interested to hear about your (and everybody else's) experience with the mix of creatures. As I said, I think vines are super strong early - but fall off quickly because they are bad vs heavy armored targets and fall rather quickly without being buffed with armor themselves. Also, regeneration can be neglected by finite life conjurations/enchantments. Therefore, I think putting strong non-vine creatures in a druid book is a clever move (as you did). What I'm not sure about is the amount. I reduced the total number of vines in my book to 5 (2 Raptors, 2 snappers {they are too good vs conjurations to be left out} and one Lasher). What are your experiences with the animals you put in? IMHO Grizzlies are super nice (push/tangle synergies with his full action attack). I will try a druid with Sir Corazin just to check how he does with all the control a druid offers :)

@Sirscoot13:
Now, I realized that versus well rounded books you cannot play the "drop a wall and push/pull the enemy" game. You may be able to pull it off once, but in my experience it is no longer a cost efficient play. And since there is luck (snatch) or an action (push) plus additional action/cost (wall) involved, I would not rely on such plays (not saying that I don't use these spells, they are awesome).

Nice overall book, but a bit one dimensional (which can be a good strategy since decision making is way easier; thats not meant in a negative way). I'm looking forward to your answers/experiences!

Regards, Gerni

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 03:52:00 AM »
Thanks for your comments!

irscott13, i think your approach is totally different: i try not to build a base, but to storm opponent's one ;)

But as far as I can see, this is the only option for you. You don't have a backup game plan, i.e. dropping a Mana flower or Tataree/Hamornize/Forge to get even more action/channeling advantage.

Well, i have to distinc plans: i either go for a ultra-agroo, sending my plants onto enemy mage's troath., or if looking for medium game advantage, i attack opponent's conjurations for more board control. Then I try to not increase my channeling/actions, but disturb opponent, destroying oponent harmonized-spawnpoint or mana acelerators, mainly, and let the efficient tree made the difference. 

What is your experience with the Nightshade Lotus? I dropped it from my book. I think I did not use it even once in all of my games :)

Same as you :D The only time i casted it... was to stop an incorporeal Invisible Stalker!  :-[ :-[ Anyway, is spell-point cheaper than banish (i have considered changing it for it couple times), and i keep it in.

think putting strong non-vine creatures in a druid book is a clever move (as you did). What I'm not sure about is the amount. I reduced the total number of vines in my book to 5 (2 Raptors, 2 snappers {they are too good vs conjurations to be left out} and one Lasher).

I sometime use plants as replazable, or use my druid to protect them a bit. I think the brace yourself help a lot in they survibability. I think i need the four raptor (they support each other). And like having three thornslashers for providing position control and interfering with opponent's plans

As for the animals, Tarok is the main one, it allow me to not fear a Lord of Fire. I keep changing my animals almost every couple of plays: changing Guardian Angel for Togorah, or Galador for a grizzly. I think i preffer like the extra options provided by Galador habilities (specially the stun) over the inmobile strong punch of the bear (since i think the plants already have great value if you manage to position your opponent).

But the fact is that rarely use them. I keep them more for self-confidence, i fear, same as the Lotus :D I may keep changing them, and even try others. Sir Corazin may be a good option to try... but i think 12 spell point is way too much!

Nice overall book, but a bit one dimensional (which can be a good strategy since decision making is way easier; thats not meant in a negative way).

Yeah, i usually like it that way, hehe. Specially in this book, which can deploy really fast, so usually i can impose my pace. But really, going againt the mage for the start, or trying to kill it's conjuration/creatures, allow this book too different gears with the same cards.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:55:09 AM by zorro »

gerni

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
Mhm what I did not keep in mind is that Lotus does not require a mage's action (when a marker is nearby). Still, Sleep can be interrupted and Banish is save as long as there are no Nullifies.

I got FiF just today, but you are right, Brace Yourself sounds awesome on plants, will totally test it. I could even imagine running Galador and Surging Wave Wand with Akiro's Favour. Slam is a condition I totally underestimated but so strong. But it seems to be very gimmicky.

How do you handle armor stacking mages? In my experience, i need at least(!) 4 Dissolves against such targets, since they can dispel corrode (Priest/Wand) and recast destroyed armor from Forge. Also, for my taste (or meta :p) two dispels are too little (have 4 atm).

Again, thanks for sharing

Edit: What do you think of putting in Defend? Can be really nasty when Vine tree deploys a VineSnapper/Raptor with quickcast Defend :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:43:09 PM by gerni »

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 02:43:33 AM »
Also, Lotus ignores even Nullifies and reverse magic. Said that, i yet have to put to sleep a creature with it... :D

As for armour stacking mages... i don´t usually find them in my local play group, or not too heavy armour ones. I started with 4 dissolves, but currently 2 dissolves, 1 corrosive orchid, and 2 acid balls seem enough. I would include a third acid ball before a third dissolve, since it's usefull againts conjurations also.

I have thought about defend, but i think Rouse the Best provides more flexibility, at least for me, i little time guard witgh anything but the druid herself - may be a thing of my play style.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
While [mwcard=FWC14]Sir Corazin, Blademaster[/mwcard] might be a good card, I find it difficult to 12 spell points any one creature. I would spend 8 point on a [mwcard=MW1C18]Gorgon Archer[/mwcard] before devoting 10% of my spell book to one card.

gerni

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:31:56 PM »
You are absolutely right. I played Corazin with my Priestess, which can work. Did not think of the War Class.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »
I've got good a good priestess book with a vampiress and druid book with Grimson Deadeye.  Sometimes it's worth it to pay the SP for the right card.  The game almost never comes down to SP, it just makes building the book more painful, but after some play testing you will get your core of actually necessary cards down to well under 120 sp.

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 06:17:53 AM »
Yeah, you could fit it, but i'm unsure which is the value provided by Sir Corazin in a druid book.

As non-fire-vulnerable defender, [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06] Guardian Angel[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard] seem cheaper both in mana and spellpoints, and more versatile having intercept and fliying.

And as an attacker, druid has their basic vines, and for the 12 spellpoints i think you cat get more versatile combinations than [mwcard=FWC14] Sir Corazin, Blademaster[/mwcard], such as grizzly plus another level 4 non-war utility creature.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
Perhaps [mwcard=MW1C06]Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard] for 8 would work as well as the Blademaster for 8 points.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 02:48:46 AM »
Yesterday i used Nigthshade Lotus efficientyl for the first time :D It managed to put to sleep a [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11] Sersiryx[/mwcard] familiar in a critical time. I noticed that Lotus has a disadvantage behind Banish or sleep,since it can´t be used at quickcast time (you have to wait until action phase), but on the other hand it's three ranged damage also add.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC01]Bridge Troll[/mwcard] is a pretty sexxxy card. he packs a wallup, regenerates, and only costs a druid 5 Spell points.

When I had them in play my opponent was pretty nervous about them and was constantly devoting resources to destroying them. I healed it once, then summoned a second one. I like them.

Mortuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 01:31:05 AM »
Bridge Troll is great, but I don't think its a good fit for druid, when i include non vine creatures in my druid, I prefer someone without weakness to fire. My druid usually has Tarok and Grizzly. I already include lots of pushing and teleporting, so Grizzly seems ideal.