May 06, 2024, 03:25:38 AM

Author Topic: Plantgirl the beginning  (Read 8658 times)

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Plantgirl the beginning
« on: December 20, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
Hello fellow mages!

I've been trying to make a good all-around deck for the Druid. The deck is based on the vine trees ability to deploy conjurations and creatures while your mage will mainly focus on building economy the first rounds.

Opener
I see three different openers with this build:
1 Druid's Leaf ring + Vine Tree
2 Vine Tree + Mana Flower
3 Vine Tree + Meditation Amulet.

This always depends on what mage you're up against and what kind of strategy you think he/she will be playing.
The safest choice is Druid's Leaf Ring + Vine Tree. since it's a very solid opener.

Gameplan
For the most of the game what you'll want to do is spread 2 vines/turn while building your economy with the Medidation amulet. You want to be aggressive with your plants and make the other mage react to you.

Thornlasher aggro is great vs mages that do not use conjurations. Thorn + wall = so good!
If you're playing vs a Wizard being able to react to a Wizard tower should be your main focus, while tearing away his economy.

I've one force hammer in this deck, it's mainly there to be able to deal with deathlock.
It's tempting to use it to deal with a Wizzard's tower however I would rather block the towers vision to my vine tree or deal with it by using my creatures. I would only use the force hammer as a last resort. I see my creatures as expendable and therefore gladly have the opponet use attack spells do deal with them.

Your feedback is higly appreciated.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Plantgirl the beginning[/spellbookname]
[mage]Druid[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ02]2 x  Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]1 x  Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]2 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x  Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW01]4 x  Bloodspine Wall[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ06]2 x  Nightshade Lotus[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x  Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC16]2 x  Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC20]2 x  Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]4 x  Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC21]4 x  Thornlasher[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e13]1 x  Eagle Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x  Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]1 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]3 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ04]1 x  Druid's Leaf Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i07]4 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]4 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI02]2 x  Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]3 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:39:41 PM by Drefan »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
Octagon user: Drefan

Frillycakes

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Plantgirl the beginning
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 08:29:07 PM »
I don't have too much experience so I may not have this may not be the best advice, but your answers will help me learn if not both of us.

What is your win condition? You say that your creatures are expendable, but you don't really have another way of dealing with your opponents. You have a fair number of creatures, but I don't really see the focus except in how to setup.

You have a lot of ways of getting through armour, which I understand is really important if you want to use the Wall of Thorns effectively, but I think you may have more than necessary. Between the rusts, acid balls, corrosive orchids and the spitting raptors, I can't imagine your opponent will fall prey to the thorns enough times for this many options to be worth the spots. If anything, switch the raptors out as they are much less flexible. All of these effects also weigh too much when it comes to a fight against a zombie deck or a solo build. Also, I doubt you need that many dissolves. This may be my inexperience, but I can't see a game in which you need all four when you won't have trouble negating armour.

I do really like the flavour. Let me know if my objections made any sense, or whether you've played a game and found all of the effects useful.

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
I don't have too much experience so I may not have this may not be the best advice, but your answers will help me learn if not both of us.
Any advice is good advice :)
What is your win condition? You say that your creatures are expendable, but you don't really have another way of dealing with your opponents. You have a fair number of creatures, but I don't really see the focus except in how to setup.

My creatures are expendable in the sense that I rather deploy a Vine Snapper down in an offensive location like at a wizzard's tower, knowing that it can be killed, since I rather have them throwing dice at that creature than my mage or my Vine Tree.

My win condition is pressure by creatures, my ultimate  goal is to be able to control their mage. Since my aim is to deploy a vine creature every round, I will most likley have more creatures on the board. With this board pressure I'm usally able to predict what the other mage response will be and try and counter that.

You have a lot of ways of getting through armour, which I understand is really important if you want to use the Wall of Thorns effectively, but I think you may have more than necessary. Between the rusts, acid balls, corrosive orchids and the spitting raptors, I can't imagine your opponent will fall prey to the thorns enough times for this many options to be worth the spots. If anything, switch the raptors out as they are much less flexible. All of these effects also weigh too much when it comes to a fight against a zombie deck or a solo build. Also, I doubt you need that many dissolves. This may be my inexperience, but I can't see a game in which you need all four when you won't have trouble negating armour.
The only time I've really lost is vs Wizzards that play a lot of armor. Since they tend to armor up + use their shield, getting through their defense + mobility is not an easy task. Combine that with their burst potential with a Wizzard's Tower and you've a very tricky opponent. So when playing vs a Wizzard I've to make sure that when I'm able to deal dmg it will hurt. I've a lot of dissolves 6 (4 + 2 orchid's)so that I will be able to dissolve what I like to lable as high value targets. Elemental + Mage wands, Veteran belts and Eagle Claw boots. If I let a mage have any of these items for long my deck loses it's win condition rather fast.

When it comes to necro, my goal is not to deal with his zombies, but rather make sure the necro dies. Since the zombies are a much much more risky target to go for.

I do really like the flavour. Let me know if my objections made any sense, or whether you've played a game and found all of the effects useful.
You've  made a lot of sense and I hope I addresed your points.

I share you view on the raptors, I'm not sure if I should keep them or not. They are good in rare occasions since they're ranged and therefore my walls wont punish them as much as other creatures + they give corrode if I'm out of acid balls or dissolves. But I don't really see what I should replace them with if that's the case. I know a few curse spells would be nice to've or maybe another mage wand but that's about it.

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
Alter of the iron guard works really well for the druid.  Being able to deploy a guarding plant can mess with anyone's plan.

I share you view on the raptors, I'm not sure if I should keep them or not. They are good in rare occasions since they're ranged and therefore my walls wont punish them as much as other creatures + they give corrode if I'm out of acid balls or dissolves. But I don't really see what I should replace them with if that's the case. I know a few curse spells would be nice to've or maybe another mage wand but that's about it.

I would suggest replacing the raptor with Oscuda.  Oscuda and hawkeye give a 3 dice unavoidable, critical, and a 50% chance to daze attack.

Just a couple of suggestions. I hope this helps.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
hahaha, eagle eyes, giving Oscuda clear eyesight to fart exactly in your face  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »
hahaha, eagle eyes, giving Oscuda clear eyesight to fart exactly in your face  ;D

Does that work though?  I didn't think Hawkeye (or other Ranged +1 modifiers) worked with zone attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
Only with the first strike.

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
Alter of the iron guard works really well for the druid.  Being able to deploy a guarding plant can mess with anyone's plan.

Yeah, only problem with altar is that I've to quick cast it the turn before which is a sign in itself. But I've been thinking about adding it for a long time, would make sense to include it.

I would suggest replacing the raptor with Oscuda.  Oscuda and hawkeye give a 3 dice unavoidable, critical, and a 50% chance to daze attack.
Only problem I see with Oscuda is that it's a zone attack = I'd hit my own creatures aswell + wall. Not what I want to do.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »
zone attacks never target a wall.

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »

Still a pain for me when the target I'm going for is going to be in the same zone as one of my thornlashers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:25:53 AM by Drefan »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »

Still a pain for me when the target I'm going for is going to be in the same zone as one of my thornlashers.

Hopefully there will be at least one "Hydro" zone attack spell in Paladin vs Siren, since plants generally have Hydro Immunity.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 08:03:17 PM »
Quote from: Codex
Ranged +X (Object Trait)
This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. If
the attack makes multiple attacks during the same attack action, it
gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus.
Has no effect on Zone Attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this
creature does not have one.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 02:27:44 AM »
Quote from: Codex
Ranged +X (Object Trait)
This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. If
the attack makes multiple attacks during the same attack action, it
gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus.
Has no effect on Zone Attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this
creature does not have one.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Might be worth including Oscuda just incase you're up against falcon rush or something simillar.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »
Rouse the Beast is another spell to consider for the Druid. It allows her creatures to attack the round they are summoned.

I.e. Why wait a turn for that Vine Snapper to snap?
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »
Rouse the Beast is another spell to consider for the Druid. It allows her creatures to attack the round they are summoned.

I.e. Why wait a turn for that Vine Snapper to snap?
It can be quite a surprise if You just deployed it and have initiative to Rouse it during QC phase and activate it first.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)