May 02, 2024, 05:47:56 PM

Author Topic: FIF: Adramelech's Torment Preview  (Read 6224 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
FIF: Adramelech's Torment Preview
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:19:35 AM »
Our previews are really moving along now! You can find the article for Adramelech's Torment >>HERE<<. Does this amulet have a place in your Warlock spellbooks?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: FIF: Adramelech's Torment Preview
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:25:12 AM »
The wording of the text is confusing (maybe my non-english origine). Who are "they"? Also, "on target creature" when there is no target line is confusing. Wouldnt "on a creature" be a better wording?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »
"They" refers to "this mage". As for the target, when you use this ability you have to target a creature. It's not on the target line, because the spell itself does not target a creature, it targets the mage. Only the ability of this piece of equipment targets a creature.

Does that help?

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »
Yes but i have an issue with the word target. According to the rules, to target something it require LoS. But the article says there is no place to hide.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
Sorry about that, "no place to hide" is more for distance. Yes, LOS is still needed. Sorry if that was confusing.

lettucemode

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
Thanks for the post Laddinfance, and kudos to Dylan for the article. I'm a big fan of this amulet! The ability to keep a constant burn on something is awesome. 2 mana per Burn kind of seems like a lot but I suppose it's a good damage/mana ratio.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
I think the mana is worth it since you're not using up an action. The priest is paying one mana for the same effect and he's jumping through hoops.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »
So as long as you have LOS to a creature, you can do this, regardless of distance?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
That is the way the text reads
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
"They" refers to "this mage". As for the target, when you use this ability you have to target a creature. It's not on the target line, because the spell itself does not target a creature, it targets the mage. Only the ability of this piece of equipment targets a creature.

Does that help?

If you look at Crown of Protection, it use "This mage..." and "on a target...". Might be why it confused me... was used to different wording.

Also, since it is not written Once per round, is it limited to once per round or you can pay 6 mana and have 3 burn token on 3 different targets with a curse?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
The wording on this card almost makes me angry.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
The ability of this equipment triggers at the end of the mage's action phase. It only triggers a single time at the end of each action phase.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »

I don't know if I'd go that far (angry?). The wording seems clear enough to me, though I'm not sure why it goes with the convoluted "this mage...they..." rather than the more straightforward "you" (equipment is always controlled by the mage that has it equipped, so "you" means the same thing in this case).

The ability of this equipment triggers at the end of the mage's action phase. It only triggers a single time at the end of each action phase.

Well, that is a bit less clear from the wording of the card. Still, all in all I don't foresee too many other clarifications that need to be made.

I suppose a simpler wording might be "At the end of your action phase, you may target one creature in your LOS and pay 2 mana to place a Burn condition on that creature if it has no Burn conditions and at least one revealed curse you control attached to it."

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

I don't know if I'd go that far (angry?). The wording seems clear enough to me, though I'm not sure why it goes with the convoluted "this mage...they..." rather than the more straightforward "you" (equipment is always controlled by the mage that has it equipped, so "you" means the same thing in this case).

If they would have used "At the end of this mage action phase, YOU may..." then you could have casted it on enemy mage too and have use it at the end of enemy mage action phase

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
If they would have used "At the end of this mage action phase, YOU may..." then you could have casted it on enemy mage too and have use it at the end of enemy mage action phase

Not quite:

Quote from: Official Rules Supplement, page 9
The Mage to whom the equipment is attached controls that equipment. For example, if you cast Sectarus on a
friendly Mage, he will be able to attack with Sectarus, and plan curse spells for it.

Since equipment is always controlled by the mage that has it equipped, the enemy mage would make the choice to use it ("you" refers to the controller of the equipment, not the owner).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:04:36 PM by ACG »