May 02, 2024, 07:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Upcoming terrain feature.  (Read 8211 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Upcoming terrain feature.
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
So the Conquer card, along with the article written for it (http://www.arcanewonders.com/arcane-wonders/forged-in-fire-preview-conquer) mention an upcoming conjuration type called Terrain. What do you all think about this? Any ideas what type of strategic effects they could have on the game?

Personally, I was wondering if they would be implementing a concept like this, and I am glad they are. It will just add more variety to the game and help make it more fun and thematic.

On a side note, I am betting it will show up in the Siren set. It will be a perfect entry into the game, as she will probably be a water mage with various underwater creatures like fish, sharks, etc.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming terrain feature.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »
I'm very excited for the Siren's probable upcoming zone enchantment which floods a square. I'm sure the steelclaw grizzly matches up very well against the mudback crocodile - until they're both underwater.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »
Yes exactly. I just wonder what special effects and stuff they might have. I suppose for Lava it would be obvious, getting burn markers or perhaps an attack as long as you stay in that zone (think a passage attack for walls, except its for during the upkeep phase when you are in the zone instead.) But I wonder what it would be for water zones.

Maybe terrain could simply make creatures of that terrain type stronger? Like sharks in water, Mountain Gorillas in a jungle, etc. There are so many different ways they can go with this. I would also think they would also hinder you so you cannot just go through them with a full action.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »
First, i must think which kind of mage will use them as their main tool. Siren is logical. Zones full of water, creatures with fish trait will gain some advantage etc. Maybe they will not be able to gain burn token. Also, flyers will be much more valued. I am so glad that i am playing mage wars. There are some very good years ahead of us :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

lettucemode

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:03:32 PM »
Or what about a pile of dirt. Just a big ol' pile of dirt in a zone

Gregstrom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
Or a trench.  Creatures in a trench might be hindered, and would get protection from ranged attacks.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:39:23 PM »
Jungle could give protection vs ranged or flying creature

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
Fog / Forest could set LoS=0

Possibilities are endless. I like  ;D
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:00:52 PM »
Terrain is going to be a ton of work. Terrain has been in testing for about a year now. I hope you enjoy how it will affect the arena and tactics. Can't wait to show you what the buzz is about.  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:57 PM »
Sometimes i wish i could fast forward time.

Or if i had a time machine, then i would travel 5 years into the future to see what mage wars is like -_-

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »

Or if i had a time machine, then i would travel 5 years into the future to see what mage wars is like -_-

It would be the most awesome card game ever and would be more popular than Magic!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »

Yes, that would be awesome haha. I'm glad we are all involved in the beginning stages of this amazing game though. Together we can truly make this one of the most popular games out there. I'm a firm believer on that.

Back to the topic, I think Jungle would create a "canopy" effect, similar to ACG's "Greatwood" card. His card gives creatures with the climbing trait in the zone the invisible trait and makes it so flying creatures can't attack non-flyers. I think this would need to be modified to non-Mage creatures though, otherwise a Mage with eagleclaw boots could just hide forever.

I think a Lava one would be cool if it made a fire attack during the upkeep phase to each non-flame creature in the zone. Perhaps 4 dice, 5-9 on d12 is burn, 10-12 is 2 burn.

Zones full of water, creatures with fish trait will gain some advantage etc. Maybe they will not be able to gain burn token.
This would be interesting but perhaps it isn't enough. Maybe also a creature that has burn tokens that enters the zone has all the burn tokens removed for free.

So that's fire, water, and nature. I'm assuming there will be terrain for all schools, so that means that War, Holy, Dark, Arcane, Mind, Air, and Earth still need them.

-Arcane could be something like "Plane of Voltari". I have no idea what it would do though. Increased channeling?
-Earth could be something like a mountain. Again, don't know what it would do though.

I have no ideas for the rest of them. This is all speculation of course, we could all be completely wrong and they could be as simple as the Earth terrain making Earth creatures and conjurations stronger. Hopefully not though :P

Also, I hope all these are extendable so more than one can be put down at once. That would be awesome.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »
Back to the topic, I think Jungle would create a "canopy" effect, similar to ACG's "Greatwood" card. His card gives creatures with the climbing trait in the zone the invisible trait and makes it so flying creatures can't attack non-flyers. I think this would need to be modified to non-Mage creatures though, otherwise a Mage with eagleclaw boots could just hide forever.

Or you burn down the jungle.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »

Or you burn down the jungle.

Yes of course, I only meant that if these are just another version of conjuration, assuming they aren't epic, when it inevitably gets burned down, another one can just be put into play and the mage will become invisible again. & this can get done again and again. Eventually they will run out of course, but it would be a good way to hide for a bit while regenerating or summoning bigs, or something along those lines.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

Yes this is on topic. ;) ;) nudge nudge
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage