May 19, 2024, 06:31:32 PM

Author Topic: New player, have 2 questions  (Read 4190 times)

jjcrpntr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
New player, have 2 questions
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
I'm sure I'll have many more as time goes by.

Right now I have two things I need cleared up for me.

When using a wand, is the mana cost for the spell the cost of the spell+the cost of the wand or just the cost of the spell?

Secondly, if the other player uses a dissolve on me and I have reveal a reverse magic spell do I get to pick a piece of their armor? And if so how much mana does that cost them? Dissolve says X=cost of the piece of armor so does it cost them whatever the cost is of the piece I pick?

So far loving this game but this is something my wife (only person I play against right now) nit picks on so I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.

DallasSooner87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: New player, have 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »
Welcome to the game.

When using the wand you pay for the wand first and bind a spell too it. When you cast the bound spell you only pay the bound spells cost.

As for question 2. I do believe you are correct. You get to pick the equipment and it costs your opponent the cost printed on said equipment.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »
Dallas is correct in that casting the wand and using the wand are two separate actions. 5 mana to cast it, and however much mana to use the bound spell.

Dissolve + Reverse works like this:
1) Cast Spell step: Enemy player targets your Mage. He intends to dissolve your Storm Drake Hide, so he pays 6 mana during the Cast Spell step.

2) Counter Spell step: You reveal Reverse Magic. The dissolve is countered, and now you control it and use it on your opponent.

NEW SPELL CAST SEQUENCE
1) Cast Spell step: You now target the enemy Mage. (you have no choice, due to the wording of Reverse Magic) Your opponent has already invested 6 mana into the Dissolve. So if you wanted to dissolve a wand (5 mana) you don't need to invest any more Mana. However, let's say you want to dissolve Reflex Boots (9 mana). You will need to pay 3 mana to make up the difference.

2) Counter Spell step: At this point your opponent could use a nullify or his own Reverse, if applicable. But let's say he doesn't have any face down cards.

3) Resolve Spell step: Dissolve resolves. At this point, it has 9 mana invested. You can choose to dissolve any piece of equipment on your opponent so long as its mana cost is 9 or less. Since the only reason you invested mana into it was to dissolve Reflex Boots, you choose to dissolve Reflex Boots.

jjcrpntr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
Great thanks guys. That was how I thought things worked but my wife is convinced I was cheating.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
Nice work Pious
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DallasSooner87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
I did not know that about reverse magic. Learn new stuff every day. Thanks pious.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »
It was along write up Bryan did a while back
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 01:16:31 AM »

Where is that long write up?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »

Where is that long write up?

Could not find it a bunch of post got lost when we switched servers. It was done back in Oct Nov if you want to try to find it.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »
That is fantastic. I am curious however about the part where there is a certain amount of mana invested in the dissolve and then you are able to invest more into it if you desire. What part of the rules supports this mechanism?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
Designer fiat. I remember the writeup, and that's what he wrote.

It should go in the FAQ.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Alex319

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
It is in the FAQ now, under "Reverse Magic".