May 16, 2024, 07:08:12 PM

Author Topic: malacoda-initiative  (Read 3000 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
malacoda-initiative
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
i'm never sure with this initiative thing: during upkeep the controler of the object affected chooses when it happens... but there can be simultaneousity problems...

with malakoda must be all the creature affected simultaneously?
example: if malakoda is in a zone with my creature A and an opponent's creature B, does the player with initiative have to choose me or the opponent, and if the chosen player decides that his creature takes the damages the other player's creature has to take it to?

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: malacoda-initiative
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 12:45:10 PM »
Well no, its not quite like you think. Each creature in malacodas zone must take 2 poison direct damage during the upkeep phase. That applies a thing to each creature in the zone much like curse of decay (i believe). So the controller of that creature decides when that damage gets applied during their own upkeep.
In this way a thornlasher or gorgon archer never needs to worry about that 2 damage because a timing issue never occurs, therefore they are always free to decide to take the 2 damage then regen 2 the damage away. Then the other mage in upkeep would do the same for there own creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
Well no, its not quite like you think. Each creature in malacodas zone must take 2 poison direct damage during the upkeep phase. That applies a thing to each creature in the zone much like curse of decay (i believe). So the controller of that creature decides when that damage gets applied during their own upkeep.
In this way a thornlasher or gorgon archer never needs to worry about that 2 damage because a timing issue never occurs, therefore they are always free to decide to take the 2 damage then regen 2 the damage away. Then the other mage in upkeep would do the same for there own creatures.
Doesn't curse of decay only work on a single creature, not the whole zone? Maybe you're thinking of plagued.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »
Romeo is right on target.  May the Banana Fairy visit him soon.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:28:28 AM »
i'm never sure with this initiative thing: during upkeep the controler of the object affected chooses when it happens... but there can be simultaneousity problems...

I'm not sure if simultaneousity is a word, but I like it and will roll with it. This is definitely a major issue with the timing rules. Not because of how it's handled, but because so many effects are interpreted as being simultaneous when they're not. Mage Wars actually HATES simultaneous effects, and they're almost nonexistent within the game. Pretty much any time two things TRY to happen simultaneously, the game says to handle them individually one at a time regardless of what they're trying to do.

So, any time you think things would happen simultaneously, try seeing if there's a way to resolve them individually and if there is, that's probably the correct answer. With Malacoda, resolve each application of damage as a separate individual effect, with the timing of each determined by the controller of the creature being damaged. Like others already said.

Usually, the only time things are required by the game to happen simultaneously, is when something is being transferred. The notorious example is Death Link transferring damage from one creature to another, which requires the healing and damage dealt to occur simultaneously. There may be other instances of effects having to be resolved simultaneously besides transferences, but I can't think of any right now. But 99% of the time when something seems like it would be simultaneous, that's not how it is treated.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 05:33:31 AM »
thanks!

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 05:38:01 AM »
I'm not sure if simultaneousity is a word,
;D "simultanéité" in french!
but I like it and will roll with it. This is definitely a major issue with the timing rules. Not because of how it's handled, but because so many effects are interpreted as being simultaneous when they're not. Mage Wars actually HATES simultaneous effects, and they're almost nonexistent within the game. Pretty much any time two things TRY to happen simultaneously, the game says to handle them individually one at a time regardless of what they're trying to do.

So, any time you think things would happen simultaneously, try seeing if there's a way to resolve them individually and if there is, that's probably the correct answer. With Malacoda, resolve each application of damage as a separate individual effect, with the timing of each determined by the controller of the creature being damaged. Like others already said.

Usually, the only time things are required by the game to happen simultaneously, is when something is being transferred. The notorious example is Death Link transferring damage from one creature to another, which requires the healing and damage dealt to occur simultaneously. There may be other instances of effects having to be resolved simultaneously besides transferences, but I can't think of any right now. But 99% of the time when something seems like it would be simultaneous, that's not how it is treated.
i think i remember we spoke about effects that should affect objects simultaneously... for example if the goblin bomber takes damages during upkeep and exploses, don't all objects take the explosion attack simultaneously?