May 09, 2024, 09:56:31 PM

Author Topic: Druid need more plants  (Read 15503 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Druid need more plants
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 05:23:03 AM »
I don't think those numbers say/prove anything. different schools, different mages, different strategies.

From octgn:
I think if druid it is a mage based on creature attacks and conjurations that Can´t be moved, have the less options.
I losed several games for this, my opponent take a position when my book its very exhausted of creature spells (5 creatures are very easiyly to count) and put him out of sight of my creatures and attack me with flightying creatures and long range spells, Druid have a very though problem against flying, and thorgorath its very stupid because cost high without counter strike for his lack of quick attack.

If you don't like stationary plants you simply should not play the druid. However, the druid is the BEST mage for board control. Force the opponent where you want him to be and you will find that the current plants out there are amazing. Use tanglevines to keep him where you want, if you suspect him to have multiple teleports, use astral anchor. Use snatchers to get everything in range. Her vines hinder everything so running is hard for the opponent. Flying is strong against the druid but that's fair right? ??? She should not be amazing at everything. You could also use [mwcard=MWBG1J02]Gravikor[/mwcard] to counter all flyers around you.

[mwcard=DNC18]Togorah, Forest Sentinel[/mwcard] is far from stupid. If you are doing a decent job to pin the enemy down, he can easily use his very strong attack and guard (+ intercept) afterwards. He is also fast in his own special way. He can move up to 2 zones AND guard afterwards. The guy is a beast! Vigilant + intercept + quick attack would be OP. It sounds like you are a fan of the idea of the druid but hate the mechanics AW designed for her.

Also, A druid in academy is hard to design since it would easily be too strong. Plants make up in strength what they lack in mobility. Just look at all the stats of the [mwcard=DNC20]Vine Snapper[/mwcard] and compare it to any other 7 or 8 mana cost creature. It is much better.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »
@Isel — If we went back two years and asked me where I thought Mage Wars would be right now, I would never have guessed that this is where we would be at. Obviously, I thought things would progress faster than they have. There were Mages at the time that I was certain we would have release, which have not.

I've spoken on other threads and I believe on a couple podcasts about how Mage Wars releases were different than I had though and hoped. But, it's been really exciting being able to get Paladin vs Siren finished, and I'm already working on the next set. We've also had two expansions released for Academy. I know it's a rough road, but I feel like it's actually leading somewhere now, instead of just circling around.

As for content, We had announced Paladin vs Siren quite a while ago. So, that was the project that all of our fans needed the most. When we were looking at it, the Holy school was very under appreciated and so this set let us really bulk up the options for all Holy Mages. When I've been working on design I've been trying to keep in mind the concerns from the community. After all that was why the Warlord was added to Forged in Fire. To be honest, the Druid is very strong, and if I'm working through "problems" then I had several bases to hit before she'd be back on my radar. Right now the big issue is "Frost" and I'm working to ensure that the next set will release something that's been highly anticipated and requested.

I know at the end of the day, what I do may be seen as pretty simple. It's not. There is a lot to balance. I'm not going to make excuses for not having more plant creatures since her release. All I can say is, there will be more and I'm working on them. I know that my statement solves nothing, and may not be believed. That's okay. I'm gonna keep working on this stuff anyways.

I do appreciate players feedback. It helps. Constructive feedback in any creative field is a good thing. But, I'll stop rambling for today. I hope your weekend was well.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 07:46:42 AM »

4) Wizard: As the only mage from the core set that didn't receive a second expansion, yet, Wizards have had the least problems regarding variety, especially given that until very recently they were able to specialize in any of the four elemental schools. Now that they're limited to Air, I can at least see some merit in an expansion for them, but they're still the one mage who needs an expansion the least.

Wizard had an academy release that had some cool tricks in it.

When I've been working on design I've been trying to keep in mind the concerns from the community. After all that was why the Warlord was added to Forged in Fire.

I am still struggling making him competitive

To be honest, the Druid is very strong, and if I'm working through "problems" then I had several bases to hit before she'd be back on my radar.

Strong is an understatement. As a Magic player who loved Blue control type strategies, she is amazing. If I build a book and It cane even be remotely competitive to my druid build I scrap it, because it's just not viable. The Druid is very good. (and even better since I re-read the vine tree last weekend)

Right now the big issue is "Frost" and I'm working to ensure that the next set will release something that's been highly anticipated and requested.

A Mechanic that was in the core set 4 years ago, and still has not made it into the game.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:04:12 AM by V10lentray »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 08:01:28 AM »
@ Laddinface
If you release another druid could it be that he/she will not be vine / tree / plant connected?

Im not sure what other theme it could be in order not to overlap with beastmasters and maybe a future shaman class?.
But a druid for me is someone who can do reasonable healing (not regeneration / transfer damage to trees)
Jack of all trades has been (ab)used many times on these forums, but i really feel thats where the druid belongs.
Shapeshift into something, build in buffs (stats card).

I find the druid you released being a slightly 'different' take on a 'druid.
Personally i dont enjoy her thematically at all - while playing her is fun. But i dont feel like i'm playing a druid.

When all this is said i am not missing any cards for her.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
@jacksmack — One of the interesting things about Mage Wars is that everyone seems to have a slightly different view on each of the Mages. It's often tough to find a balance between "This is what is expected" and "This is the cool new thing". For the Druid, I totally understand where you're coming from as my roots are in Dungeons and Dragons. So, the Mage Wars Druid is much different from the DND Druid. In Etheria, animals have Beastmasters to take care of them, but plants have the Druids. So to answer your first question last, any alternate Druid is going to have some connection to plants. Plants are the core part of the Mage.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
A fungal druid!
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 08:50:15 AM »
The current druid is focussed on vines. How about the alternate being more focussed on the biggies? sequoianbound instead of treebound?

Maybe change the spreading vines ability with something that synergizes more with the seedling pods? I feel like much more can be done with those pods! It's an underused, nice, existing design.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 10:01:02 AM »
Well if we're throwing ideas around, here are some ability ideas:

Verdant Veil - As long as the druid is in a zone with a friendly, living, plant creature or conjuration, he gains the Obscured trait.

Rooted Stance - As long as the druid is in a zone with a friendly vine marker, he gains the Unmovable trait.

Tenacious Vines - Once per turn, when a friendly vine marker is destroyed, the druid may pay 1 mana to immediately replace it.

Bloodfed Vines - Once per turn, when the Druid successfully attacks and damages a creature, he may place a vine marker in the zone with his target.

Should I put these in the suggestion forum instead of here?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
Well if we're throwing ideas around, here are some ability ideas:

Verdant Veil - As long as the druid is in a zone with a friendly, living, plant creature or conjuration, he gains the Obscured trait.

Rooted Stance - As long as the druid is in a zone with a friendly vine marker, he gains the Unmovable trait.

Tenacious Vines - Once per turn, when a friendly vine marker is destroyed, the druid may pay 1 mana to immediately replace it.

Bloodfed Vines - Once per turn, when the Druid successfully attacks and damages a creature, he may place a vine marker in the zone with his target.

Should I put these in the suggestion forum instead of here?

Suggestion forum is easier to keep track of, as it will all be in one post.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
A fungal druid!
We can't have fungal druid for simple reason: current Druid won't benefit from them.

Also alternate Druid has to have Vine markers because we already have Druid spells that use them.

11) in Academy for beastmaster, i saw too many creatures, and people only play the level 1 creatures, because you can summon 2 per turn. you could drop 2 slots of expensive creatures and put plants or something for forcemaster.
Most of the Beastmasters I played against recently used mainly 3-4 level animals and level 1 creatures were used only as a support. Very often I read on this forum that swarms were underpowered compared to buddy builds or few middles.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »
One idea I had from way back when was to do something insect related with the Druid. You use bees and butterflies and such to "pollinate" your plants. Obviously we didn't use this, but it was a fun idea.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
One idea I had from way back when was to do something insect related with the Druid. You use bees and butterflies and such to "pollinate" your plants. Obviously we didn't use this, but it was a fun idea.
Still we've got Tataree.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 01:11:42 PM »
Yes, Druid is Balanced - it's a top Tier mage. You are just completely hobbling yourself by choosing to only play Nature Spells, and only Plants at that!

Numbers don't bring balance, the number of cards per school is mostly irrelevant. Half a dozen really good cards are much better than a hundred average cards.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »

You are just completely hobbling yourself by choosing to only play Nature Spells, and only Plants at that!

Not necessarily. I love my druid, and it's only creatures are plant types. I will put my book against anyone and give you a fight.  It's just how you play it.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2016, 12:55:10 AM »
Lets sum it up. I agree with everyhone here, that Warlord need more Goblins :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )