May 09, 2024, 07:52:10 PM

Author Topic: Poison Blood  (Read 4288 times)

MW United

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Poison Blood
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
Hi there

I've been reading through so other articles regarding when you can reveal poison blood.

For clarification can you reveal it AFTER the opponent pays mana for a heal spell to stop the heal from taking place?

This effectively could counter a heal worth 9 mana!

This does seem a little unfair( although this is my interpretation of the rules) and only seeking dispel could prevent this from happening.

What are your thoughts guys??

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Poison Blood
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »
Yep.

If you can put it on someone before they cast a healing spell worth 9 mana, then yes, it's good.

That's about as strong as Block against a really expensive attack spell... but not nearly as strong as Reverse Attack against a really expensive attack spell (that isn't unavoidable), where the opposing Mage basically pays a bunch of mana to hit themselves really hard while doing no damage to their opponent!

*edit* Similarly, Reverse Magic on the Mage who tries to heal himself would be pretty good. But you need to know that's what he has in mind (or some other spell you'd like to steal). Nevermind.  Forgot how Reverse Magic works.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:15:26 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
iNano78 is correct except for his edit. Reverse Magic on your opponent's mage is fairly useless, as they are already targeting the caster whenever they target themselves. So, redirecting the spell back to the caster effectively changes nothing and just wastes your mana. Nullify on your opponent's mage would work though.

For Poisoned Blood specifically, the important thing is to remember the steps of casting a spell and that you can reveal enchantments between them. Your opponent declares his target and pays his mana for the healing spell during Step 1: Cast Spell. However, he doesn't receive the healing until Step 3: Resolve Spell. You can most certainly reveal Poisoned Blood between these two events and make them waste their mana.

MW United

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »
Ok so what are the possible counters to this?

I mean I build books with two seeking dispels max!!

Could you enchant yourself with regrow? This will allow you to heal until the poison blood is revealed.. Then you could dispel it before casting your full heal??

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
*edit* Similarly, Reverse Magic on the Mage who tries to heal himself would be pretty good. But you need to know that's what he has in mind (or some other spell you'd like to steal).
I actually wonder, can you reveal reverse magic on purpose during the counterspell step to counter your own spells. It could be helpful if you need to heal and they cast a nullify on you, then you could counterspell your opponent, heal them, then counter it back to you. Granted this is a terrible use of resources but it's still interesting.

Hi there

I've been reading through so other articles regarding when you can reveal poison blood.

For clarification can you reveal it AFTER the opponent pays mana for a heal spell to stop the heal from taking place?

This effectively could counter a heal worth 9 mana!

This does seem a little unfair( although this is my interpretation of the rules) and only seeking dispel could prevent this from happening.

What are your thoughts guys??

It's not unfair, it cost more than nullify and it's circumstantial. Experienced players start to guess what your doing anyway, so it doesn't always work.

Yes, regrowth is a great idea, it's a small amount of healing, doesn't waste a card and they will definitely reveal the poison blood during upkeep, allowing you to put a dispel in your hand during planning.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:39:23 AM »
Passive healing such as Regeneration and Vampiric tends to be more effective than active heals. You should really always be nervous when your opponent puts an enchantment on you. They're never going to give you one that benefits you, lol. If they haven't revealed it by the next Upkeep, it usually means it's something conditional (or a bluff) so you need to figure out what condition it is they're waiting on to mess you up.

Casting a minor enchantment on yourself will take care of it if it's a Nullify, which they may have cast on you to prevent not only healing but also tricks like teleporting. If that doesn't work, then I think Poisoned Blood is a reasonable conclusion for what they've done. Unless you can get rid of it with Seeking Dispel, you should probably just avoid casting healing incantations on yourself.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »
Quote from: Intangible0
I actually wonder, can you reveal reverse magic on purpose during the counterspell step to counter your own spells. It could be helpful if you need to heal and they cast a nullify on you, then you could counterspell your opponent, heal them, then counter it back to you. Granted this is a terrible use of resources but it's still interesting.

No, you can not. The rulebook says that "If a mandatory or single use enchantment is revealed at any time other than the event for which it is supposed to trigger, it has no effect and is immediately destroyed and discarded."

Since Reverse Magic is triggered by an opponent casting an enchantment or incantation on the creature, you can not use it to reverse one of your own spells as you are not one of your opponents. Otherwise, I like your thinking. Definitely outside of the box, but unfortunately this specific idea would not work.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
Quote from: Intangible0

No, you can not. The rulebook says that "If a mandatory or single use enchantment is revealed at any time other than the event for which it is supposed to trigger, it has no effect and is immediately destroyed and discarded."

Since Reverse Magic is triggered by an opponent casting an enchantment or incantation on the creature, you can not use it to reverse one of your own spells as you are not one of your opponents. Otherwise, I like your thinking. Definitely outside of the box, but unfortunately this specific idea would not work.

Well, looks like Arcane Wonders covered their bases there! Thanks for the response, I'm not in front of a manual to check
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
Um wow. I totally forgot about that for some reason. I've been told I couldn't reveal poisoned blood under those kinds of circumstances SO many times that I had just internalized it without thinking. In the future I'll make sure to be more aware of individual steps and not be stuck in the mindset of seeing the phase as a whole unit.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.