May 17, 2024, 06:50:18 PM

Author Topic: Is the Invisible Stalker Psychic Immune?  (Read 6548 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Is the Invisible Stalker Psychic Immune?
« on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
I was sure that he was, but after looking at the Rules and Code, Codex v2, the FAQ, and a Google search I am not able to find the Psychic Immunity applies to him or Fire Elemental, Whirling Spirit, and Grey Wraith.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Invisible Stalker Psychic Immune?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »
It absolutely should be, considering that it is a creature made of pure force (i.e. a projection of the forcemaster's will, with no mind of its own).

But it looks like it is not.

Earth Elemental is another one that ought to be psychic immune, but isn't.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:44 AM »
If you take a look at the Skeleton and Zombie cards, you'll see that they have both traits: nonliving AND psychic immunity.
As a consequence it seems, that psychic immunity is not automaticly included in the nonliving trait because it is mentioned separately.
The named creatures, mostly Elementals or Spirits, should therefore not have the psychic immunity.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:21:35 AM »
The named creatures, mostly Elementals or Spirits, should therefore not have the psychic immunity.

They do not have psychic immunity, that is absolutely true. Whether they should is another matter entirely.

Also, what do you mean named? None of the elementals or spirits so far have names.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
Fire Elemental, Whirling Spirit, and Grey Wraith.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:50 AM »
I guess he mean "stated".
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:38 AM »
In german, you would say "named" and mean the creatures mentioned (not the ones with a name)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »
Oh, I see.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »
I was sure that he was, but after looking at the Rules and Code, Codex v2, the FAQ, and a Google search I am not able to find the Psychic Immunity applies to him or Fire Elemental, Whirling Spirit, and Grey Wraith.

It is because they are spirit and have a mind. So their mind can be controlled.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:18:27 PM »
Invisible stalker is not a spirit. It is just a force projection.

Grey Wraith and Whirling Spirit I can see having minds, but do elementals really have minds? I suppose it could vary between universes, and Mage Wars already has some differences from your typical fantasy universe (vampirism, for instance), so maybe this is just local canon.

But I see no justification for the invisible stalker.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »
An extension of the forcemaster's mind, made to look frightening? If it's a part of her mind that's been split off then that would explain why it can be affected by psychic spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
Invisible stalker is not a spirit. It is just a force projection.
Says who?
AFAIK, 'Invisible Stalker' made it's first appearance in D&D. And in D&D it's a creature summoned from the Elemental Plane of Air: Invisible Stalker

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »
I assumed it was a force projection based on its "Force" subtype. I assume it is not a straight copy of a D&D monster, and that the name similarity is coincidental. But perhaps that is the explanation.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
I assumed it was a force projection based on its "Force" subtype. I assume it is not a straight copy of a D&D monster, and that the name similarity is coincidental. But perhaps that is the explanation.

^^ this, and the fact that it gets discounts with [mwcard=FWQ03]Force Ring[/mwcard] and [mwcard=FWQ07]Psi-Orb[/mwcard]... definitely feels like a projection of the mind.  Unfortunately you can't "heal" it in the same way as Wall of Force.

The only Psychic card that interacts unintuitively/antithematic with Invisible Stalker is [mwcard=MW1E30]Pacify[/mwcard].  [mwcard=MW1I26]Sleep[/mwcard]/[mwcard=FWI05]Mass Sleep[/mwcard] can't target non-living creatures, and [mwcard=FWE08]Mind Shield[/mwcard] doesn't interact with Invisible Stalker as it isn't Psychic.  That only leaves [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard] and [mwcard=FWE01]Charm[/mwcard], which are both "Mind Mage only" ... so matters only in a duel between two Forcemasters (or future Mind mages) battling for control of the Stalker... which works well enough.  But Pacify affecting the Invisible Stalker is weird...

And that doesn't address any of the elementals/spirits mentioned above.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:22:02 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster