May 04, 2024, 04:52:01 PM

Author Topic: Double Spawnpoint Warlord  (Read 11060 times)

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Double Spawnpoint Warlord
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
So the question is: what would be a good way to gain tempo against a warlock who goes for turn 2 adramelech while still playing 2 spawnpoints?

Do you think that block/brace yourself to stop the first attack and a guarding corazin would be enough to swing it back?

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
Corazin would be a good counter.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
I would expect anything I bring out like this to be teleported or pushed out of the way. My opinion for a fast LoF opening is that you have to get some creatures out to guard as you will be dealing with a Lash of Fire and Lord of Fire if you do nothing to make him spend his QC he will use QC to continue buffing up. So you need to get the action advantage by bringing out two of three creatures, but that is really tough with a Double Spawnpoint opening.

You could always try the classic Wall of Thorns Push Push on the Warlock as they typically will not have armor on round two or three unless they have already learned that lesson, which is a good lesson to learn as it will slow them down just a bit.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »
I tried the double spawnpoint once against the lady warlock. it did not go well. I'm considering throwing down a wall of earth in far centre to wall off me and my battle forge. I need somethign that will slow her down and break los for long range curses
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
If you do battle forge + construction yard turn 1 and the enemy charges 2 and cast nothing then I would forget the barracks and go for grimson+Hawkeye and turn 3 maybe use a wall of earth to wall break los and you guard while grimson shoots the lord of fire.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »
If you do battle forge + construction yard turn 1 and the enemy charges 2 and cast nothing then I would forget the barracks and go for grimson+Hawkeye and turn 3 maybe use a wall of earth to wall break los and you guard while grimson shoots the lord of fire.

I would not do grimson vs few bigs.

He WILL be teleported away and destroyed, or bigs will be teleported to him and destroy him if he has a face down.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »
That's why you use walls to break Los. It only works vs a flyer big. Admittedly I haven't actually tested it, you may be right.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »
That's why you use walls to break Los. It only works vs a flyer big. Admittedly I haven't actually tested it, you may be right.
The LoF will fly over the Wall and demolish the Sniper.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 07:51:44 AM »
Well my idea was the warlord would guard the sniper and the warlock couldn't mess with positioning since the walls keep the warlock out. But the whole thing didn't work anyway because after Battleforge+construction yard you can't afford Grimson turn 2 anyway.

Really the conclusion here is if your opponent is going to blitz you then don't go for double spawnpoints.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
Thorg is good against a big guy like that.  His taunt forces Addy to move towards him and attack which can deny his full attack sweep, and Thorg has a 5 dice counter strike.

Thorg has 4 armor naturally, which will stand up well to attacks and he works well when supported.  If he gets a vet token he us practically an iron golem with a taunt.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
I also think (for what it's worth) that Thorg would be a good creature to cast. Although still subject to being teleported away, his taunt may still work in the long run to help defend the mage (as pointed out before). Also, against a Warlock's aggressive approach, I would not even try more than the Battle Forge. You can set your book up for a double spawnpoint which might work well against some mages, but have a backup plan for these sorts of situations.

If you want to try to slow the Warlock down, you might try Mangler Caltrops in the NC on turn 1. He will either have to stop in your NC, go around them (which might allow you to dodge around them the other way), or use a more expensive and more valuable Teleport to bypass them. This won't do anything for Addy who can fly over them, but if you have a defender out, then you should be ok for a turn or two which bringing out armor or enchantments like Brace Yourself or Circle of Lightning.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
Really if you are being charged an iron golom is the best guard you can get. Plus harshforge plate and it becomes quite draining to maintain an offensive against you.