May 02, 2024, 05:07:48 AM

Author Topic: Facetiox, the Scourge of the Card Designer's Brother in Law  (Read 5379 times)

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Facetiox, the Scourge of the Card Designer's Brother in Law
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
In honor of the recent announcement of the naming of the undead dragon: Sardonyx, the Blight of the Living.

Creature Human Jackass (9 mana, Mind 1, Arcane 1)
1 Armor
8 health
Quick Attack (Irreverent Quip): 2 attack dice (5-9 stun, 10+ slam)
Elusive

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Facetiox, the Scourge of the Card Designer's Brother in Law
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm not real keen on the new dragon's name either.  I guess they just wanted a hokey name for the guy. 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »
I'm okay with the name, I'm just not feeling the title. I can't say much though, my entry was Visserix, the Blightwing

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
well this is what someone posted in response to my post on the name on the FB page which sheds a much better light on the name:

"If your into symbolism and deeper meaning. Sardonic can also mean "grimly mocking" A fitting description of an undead creature. Sardonyx is also a type of gemstone of varying colors but generally including black (hence the onyx part of the name). Its not uncommon for people to name dragons after gemstones or things of value.
If you are not into symbolism the Johnny Toothpicks might be consider a more frightening name, but hardly worthy of a dragon. In fact I think thats what I will call him when I summon him with my Necromancer "Westside Mike" using his familiar Vinnie "the Rat" . What do I need to do to get that combo made?"

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:28:01 PM »
I like the sardonic reference; the art looks like he's almost smiling.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:24:07 PM »
I like Sardonyx, but I like blightwing also... I think they combo better than blight on the living ...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Instead of Stun and Slam, I think Facetiox should have taunt and a damage barrier ability. Also, he should not be trained in Arcane, just mind. The reason for this is since Facetiox should think he knows it all, but actually doesn't. He should have cantrip, to represent how annoying he is in continuing to come back over and over again. Instead of elusive, he should have pest, for obvious reasons. Also, it might be a good idea for him to be a familiar that prepares a spell from your opponent's spellbook each round, so you don't know what it is until after the planning phase. Maybe his mana cost should be decreased to 4, and he should have the upkeep +9 trait (since he's high maintenance and a cheapskate) His stats should be reduced. Maybe no armor and 1 health (he's a lot less tough than he likes to pretend he is), and a defense of 6 that can only be used once in a round if he prepares a spell, twice in a round if he does not (he can avoid attacks by stealing your treasured belongings and putting them in the line of fire, making you hesitate to attack. If he doesn't steal from you, he will say something really nasty to throw off your concentration.)

I think the Facetiox you came up with on the other hand, actually sounds like a great card if you just take out the elusive and raise the effect die rolls a bit, perhaps adjusting the mana cost too. It seems like you're just trying to have a go at controlling playstyles and the players who use them, which really isn't nice.

Just saying!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:58:27 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
Great ideas. It was really just a joke of course, not a ton of thought went into it.