May 09, 2024, 07:27:17 AM

Author Topic: Does pacify negate the second sweeping attack?  (Read 3631 times)

sean

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Does pacify negate the second sweeping attack?
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
Pacify: Each round, the first time this creature makes a melee or ranged attack, its controller must pay 2 mana during the Declare Attack Step, or else the attack is canceled.  Pacify does not affect counterstrikes.

Sweeping: This attack has a wide sweeping arc and can target and strike 2 different targets in the same zone.  The second attack occurs at the end of the attack sequence from the first attack.  Start a new attack sequence beginning with the Declare Attack Step.  Note: The second attack cannot be made against the same target as the first attack.  If there is not a different valid target for the second attack, then the Sweeping trait has no effect this round.

So sounds obvious that extra strikes you get from doublestrike and triplestrike would be cancelled, but not the extra attack you get from sweeping.

The scenario I am imagining is two opponent creatures, one guarding.  I have one creature with the pacify enchantment attached and a sweeping attack.  I make the sweeping attack on the guard, but choose not to pay the 2 mana indicated on pacify.  The first attack is cancelled and the guard marker is removed, freeing up my second attack for the other creature.  Is it correct that I can do this?  If not, why not?

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Does pacify negate the second sweeping attack?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »
If you have Pacify attached to a Creature and don't pay the Mana cost then the attack is cancelled. If the attack is cancelled then there is no end of the first attack for the sweeping attack to follow.

The Sweeping Attack occurs at Step 8 of the Attack sequence. If the initial attack is cancelled then Step 8 never occurs and the Sweeping Attack does not occur.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37:45 PM »
Good call pixel

Sweeping: This attack has a wide sweeping arc and can target and strike 2 different targets in the same zone. The second attack occurs at the end of the attack sequence from the first attack. Start a new attack sequence beginning with the Declare Attack Step. Note: The second attack cannot be made against the same target as the first attack. If there is not a different valid target for the second attack, then the Sweeping trait has no effect this round.

This is what is important (second attack occurs at the end of the attack sequence from the first attack) Because the attack would have been canceled you never got that far it the attack sequence.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
I wouldn't say that the attack is cancelled, but that it simply doesn't happen.
Also the guard marker is not removed if you don't pay the mana.

Pacify makes it so that you must pay 2 mana as part of the Declare attack step, if you don't pay the mana then you aren't actually declaring an attack, and nothing at all happens.
Otherwise you could declare an attack against a target that is out of range, who has a guard marker and make them remove it.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
The text in Pacify specifies that the attack in cancelled if the mana cost isn't paid.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.