May 09, 2024, 06:43:27 AM

Author Topic: Looking for clarifications  (Read 4098 times)

psychojoe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Looking for clarifications
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:59:06 AM »
I'm looking for clarification on a couple of things -

If a creature has something on it that gives it melee +X it only receives the bonus for the first attack it makes in a turn, correct? And that applies to both the extra attack from battle fury and the extra attacks from a double/triplestrike? And what about things that reduce the number of attack dice, such as aegis or weak counters? Do they only apply to the first attack or do they apply to each strike?

The codex states that flying creatures fly "above and out of reach of conjurations". I assume this applies to walls, but does it also apply to poison gas cloud? And would I be correct in assuming that conjurations that affect the entire arena (such as Deathlock or Tooth and Nail) do affect flyers?

I'm also unsure about how push works. The codex states a normal push has to be one zone away from the source of the push, unless the card states otherwise. Force Push states it is in the direction of the caster's choice, can this also be toward the caster (a pull)? I assume it really means any direction but would like clarification. So now let's say I'm casting jet stream and i hit the push on the D12. If I'm in the corner of the arena and the target is in the next zone along the wall do I have to push him farther away along the wall or can I push him into the middle of the arena (since this is technically one zone away from the source). Or could I push him into the wall, or would I need a force push for that?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm showing some people how to play tomorrow and I want to make sure I have everything right!

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for clarifications
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »
Yes, Melee +X, and most traits that give some combat bonus (such as Bloodthirsty +X) only give this bonus for the first attack made during an attack action.  For example, a creature spends a full action making a Triplestrike, and will receive its Melee +X and other attack bonuses only for the first attack of that triplestrike.

However, Battle Fury actually gives the creature a new additional quick action, which occurs immediately after it's current attack action.  In this case, the Melee +X, and other combat bonuses do apply because its a new and different action being used.  

Effects like Aegis, Weak, and Damage Modifiers, which reduce attacks, always reduce ALL of the attacks. But, they cannot reduce an attack below one dice. The attacker always gets to roll 1 die, regardless as to the number of effects which reduce his dice.  (The only exception to that is if the target is immune to the attack, in which case the attack is canceled. For example, a demon with Flame Immunity is attacked by a fireball which is flame damage.  The attack is canceled and no dice are rolled.).

Flying creatures ignore walls, except the outside walls around the outside perimeter of the arena.  They cannot fly past those walls (the outside walls block passage and LoS), and will get bashed if they are Pushed into the outer edge walls.  They are affected by all other conjurations (unless the Conjuration says differently, such as Tanglevine).

Yes, Force Push can be any direction, including towards you.  An interesting design note, we used to have both a Force Push and a separate Force Pull spell, and decided to just combine them.

On a normal Push, you must Push the target one zone away from the source.  The best way to figure that is to draw a line from the center of the source's zone, to the center of the target's zone.  So, if you are in  a corner, and they are in the next zone along the wall, then you would have to Push them to the next zone along the wall.
[ul]
  [li]If the line passes through an intersection (the target is diagonally across form the source), then you have 2 possible choices of zones you can Push them into, and may choose which one.  [/li]
  [li]If the Source and target are in the same zone, then you can choose the direction.  [/li]
  [li]And, of course, some Push effects, like Force Push, allow you to always choose the direction.[/li]
[/ul]
Hope all of that helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions.  And good luck tomorrow!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:18:45 AM »
Quote from: "psychojoe" post=3024
I'm looking for clarification on a couple of things -

If a creature has something on it that gives it melee +X it only receives the bonus for the first attack it makes in a turn, correct? And that applies to both the extra attack from battle fury and the extra attacks from a double/triplestrike? And what about things that reduce the number of attack dice, such as aegis or weak counters? Do they only apply to the first attack or do they apply to each strike?

The codex states that flying creatures fly "above and out of reach of conjurations". I assume this applies to walls, but does it also apply to poison gas cloud? And would I be correct in assuming that conjurations that affect the entire arena (such as Deathlock or Tooth and Nail) do affect flyers?

I'm also unsure about how push works. The codex states a normal push has to be one zone away from the source of the push, unless the card states otherwise. Force Push states it is in the direction of the caster's choice, can this also be toward the caster (a pull)? I assume it really means any direction but would like clarification. So now let's say I'm casting jet stream and i hit the push on the D12. If I'm in the corner of the arena and the target is in the next zone along the wall do I have to push him farther away along the wall or can I push him into the middle of the arena (since this is technically one zone away from the source). Or could I push him into the wall, or would I need a force push for that?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm showing some people how to play tomorrow and I want to make sure I have everything right!

If you use the search you would come across a few threads with similar questions. But if you look in this thread you will see it is answered directly.

The poison gas fills the entire zone. With things like Deathlock, T&N, and Idol of Pestilence they affect creature in the arena so the only way to avoid the is not be in play. So yes the would affect flyers.

A normal push is always away from the caster. Because Force Push state you can push in any direction you could use it to "pull" the target. But remember you still can only use orthogonal directions.
Below I listed some of the rules that apply to this.

Bashed
When a creature is Pushed into a wall with the Passage Blocked trait it is bashed. It receives an Unavoidable attack of 3 attack dice of damage. The walls around the arena have the Passage Blocked trait.

Push
Push is an effect caused by some spells and attacks that moves the target into an adjacent zone. Unless the effect says otherwise, the Pushed creature must move one zone away from the source of the Push. If there is a choice of direction (such as pushing a creature diagonally opposite, or if the source of the Push is in the same zone as the target), the source of the Push chooses the direction.
Some spells may Push in a random direction. To determine the direction, choose one side of the board to be “North” and roll the Effect Die: a 1-3 Pushes the creature North, 4-6 = East, 7-9 = South and 10-12 = West. A creature may be Pushed through a wall, but only if the wall does not have
the Passage Blocked trait. The Pushed creature suffers any attack from the wall if the wall has the Passage Attacks trait. If a creature is Pushed into a wall with the Passage Blocked trait, it is bashed against the wall and suffers a 3 die attack (Armor reduces this damage normally). This special
attack cannot be avoided. Note the walls around the outside of the arena all have the Passage Blocked trait. Note that Flying creatures ignore walls. Some creatures and all conjurations have the Unmovable trait. They cannot be Pushed and ignore all Push effects.

I hope that help. If you have any other questions just ask.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=3030
Yes, Melee +X, and most traits that give some combat bonus (such as Bloodthirsty +X) only give this bonus for the first attack made during an attack action.  For example, a creature spends a full action making a Triplestrike, and will receive its Melee +X and other attack bonuses only for the first attack of that triplestrike.

However, Battle Fury actually gives the creature a new additional quick action, which occurs immediately after it's current attack action.  In this case, the Melee +X, and other combat bonuses do apply because its a new and different action being used.  

Effects like Aegis, Weak, and Damage Modifiers, which reduce attacks, always reduce ALL of the attacks. But, they cannot reduce an attack below one dice. The attacker always gets to roll 1 die, regardless as to the number of effects which reduce his dice.  (The only exception to that is if the target is immune to the attack, in which case the attack is canceled. For example, a demon with Flame Immunity is attacked by a fireball which is flame damage.  The attack is canceled and no dice are rolled.).

Flying creatures ignore walls, except the outside walls around the outside perimeter of the arena.  They cannot fly past those walls (the outside walls block passage and LoS), and will get bashed if they are Pushed into the outer edge walls.  They are affected by all other conjurations (unless the Conjuration says differently, such as Tanglevine).

Yes, Force Push can be any direction, including towards you.  An interesting design note, we used to have both a Force Push and a separate Force Pull spell, and decided to just combine them.

On a normal Push, you must Push the target one zone away from the source.  The best way to figure that is to draw a line from the center of the source's zone, to the center of the target's zone.  So, if you are in  a corner, and they are in the next zone along the wall, then you would have to Push them to the next zone along the wall.
[ul]
  [li]If the line passes through an intersection (the target is diagonally across form the source), then you have 2 possible choices of zones you can Push them into, and may choose which one.  [/li]
  [li]If the Source and target are in the same zone, then you can choose the direction.  [/li]
  [li]And, of course, some Push effects, like Force Push, allow you to always choose the direction.[/li]
[/ul]
Hope all of that helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions.  And good luck tomorrow!

Sniped again. :lol:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:27:35 AM »
Ha!  You are awesome Shadow. I very occasionally post a response before you can!   :)

Keep up the great work sir!

psychojoe

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys, looks like we were playing battle fury and poison gas cloud wrong! And sorry for not trying search Shadow, it was late and I totally didn't even think of checking.